Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Upgrade D Day!!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

Madong wrote:
    Guess its better than nothing ......... and plans by them for faster than 4m or DSL2 ?

give them a chance to finish their current upgrade before asking for another one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Sponge Bob wrote:
    Eircom have not give the 21 day notice to their retail customers yet

Do they have to? Price/terms remain the same, so do they have to provide notice that there will be a free upgrade?

.cg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

CyberGhost wrote:
    Did you read this topic? No, really, did you?
    stewie.gif

yes i did, why you ask :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭mang87

My service went down for 30 minutes yesterday night at like 12. There was a notice that the service in my area would go down, I was hoping when it came back up I'd be upgraded : ( but no luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Obo

According to the Netsource service status page, there will be some exchanges that won't be able to get the upgrade.

http://www.netsource.ie/html/servicestatus.html
    Business Broadband Speed Change Weekend of 20th January 2006

Over the weekend an increase in speed will be implemented for customers using the services detailed in Table 1. The increase will be implemented on all Exchanges except those listed in Table 2. The increase will be completed between 22:00 Hrs on Friday 20th January and 18:00 Hrs on Sunday 22nd January. It will occur on an exchange-by-exchange basis. If you do experience a break in session during this period you should be able to reconnect after 2 minutes.
    Table 2

Exchange --- Numbers which will not experience speed increase

Ballymoneen --- 091-510, 091-515

Blessington --- 045-851, 045-857, 045-858, 045-865, 045-900

Clonakilty --- 023-21, 023-30, 023-32 to 023-37, 023-60 to 023-63

Donegal --- 074-9721 to 074-9725, 074-9740, 074-9751

Edenderry --- 046-9731 to 046-9733, 046-9738, 046-9772, 046-9776

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Obo wrote:
    According to the Netsource service status page, there will be some exchanges that won't be able to get the upgrade.

Thats wierd. Surely it should be all or none.
    I wonder whats preventing the unlucky few from getting the upgrade?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,981 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

I'm in table 2! WHAT THE HELL! That's just netsource right? RIGHT?! And my lines are fantastic, I live right beside the exchange! They'd better pray they sort it out.

Hmm is that just Business packages?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

hellboy99 wrote:
    yes i did, why you ask :confused:

Just wanted to know ;)

Giblet wrote:
    I'm in table 2! WHAT THE HELL! That's just netsource right? RIGHT?! And my lines are fantastic, I live right beside the exchange! They'd better pray they sort it out.

Hmm is that just Business packages?!
    Netsource just resell Eircom so it'll be all BB customers connected to those exchanges with all bitstream providers.
    It's all packages I'd say.:(

Esat customers getting the upgrade too but will have to wait a month, i thought it would happen the same time as Eircom customers seeing as Esat BB runs on an Eircom line :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Ernie Ball

hellboy99 wrote:
    Esat customers getting the upgrade too but will have to wait a month, i thought it would happen the same time as Eircom customers seeing as Esat BB runs on an Eircom line :confused:

Where'd you get that information?

Ernie Ball wrote:
    Where'd you get that information?

i managed to get through to Esat customer support this morning and asked them, also Kaizersoze posted up a reply he got from them too here :

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054876392

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

Just spoke to a guy on utvinternet cs, they're usually up to speed (no pun intended...) but while he was aware that Eircom were upgrading the speeds, he couldn't say whether this would affect utvinternet customers as well - i.e. whether the speed upgrade would be automatic. He referred a couple of times to them (ie utvinternet) making an announcement next week, but I think he was referring to new packages..... can't be sure tbh, the guy seemed to be in the dark.

Can anyone say with authority whether the caps are going to be increased ? - apologies of this has been covered already elsewhere....

I was under the impression that the speed upgrade would affect all lines in an exchange, and as utvinternet re-sell Eircom access, we'd just get the upgrade automatically..... correct me if i'm wrong guys.........

The Ritzzzz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

The Ritz wrote:
    Just spoke to a guy on utvinternet cs, they're usually up to speed (no pun intended...) but while he was aware that Eircom were upgrading the speeds, he couldn't say whether this would affect utvinternet customers as well - i.e. whether the speed upgrade would be automatic. He referred a couple of times to them (ie utvinternet) making an announcement next week, but I think he was referring to new packages..... can't be sure tbh, the guy seemed to be in the dark.

Can anyone say with authority whether the caps are going to be increased ? - apologies of this has been covered already elsewhere....

I was under the impression that the speed upgrade would affect all lines in an exchange, and as utvinternet re-sell Eircom access, we'd just get the upgrade automatically..... correct me if i'm wrong guys.........

The Ritzzzz.

Thats correct afaik Sean. While I expect we will all get the new speeds come friday or saturday we won't see any cap increases till Eircom officially announce their cap increases along with the new packages in Feb/March, assuming of course that the rumours of Eircom cap increases are true. So if Eircom up their caps then I am sure UTV will too but if those were just rumours and eircoms caps remain unchanged then UTV will sit on their arse and leave theirs alone too. Basically while we know UTV chose not to be a market leader anymore and gave BT the lead in best bitstream products with the higher caps, I simply can't imagine them letting Eircom have a better product too with higher caps. IOW,Only way I see utv caps increasing to more appropriate levels for our new bandwidth is if Eircom do it first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

...and if you agree to a new 12 month contract

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

Keith,

Kewl..... that adds up with what the utv cs guy was saying about packages...

Rymus,

Yes indeedy............. a pal is trying out Smart.......... I am watching with great interest. Also NTL is an optioin - but I am uneasy at the potential disruption of changing provider........./ likes his internet access, he does... strokes modem fondly.....

S.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

2 days to go gents

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

Just onto BT's live help there now.
    I'd say we'll get the increase straight away once Eircom upgrade, reading between the lines anyhow:

How may I help you BigCon?
    BigCon: Eircom are increasing their speeds on the 21st. Are BT doing likewise?
    Graham A: There will be a speed increase soon but I cannot give any details on this at present.
    BigCon: Why not?
    Graham A: The exact details on this have not been confirmed BigCon.
    BigCon: Oh, fair enough. As BT are using Eircom's lines I thought that the upgrade would automatically follow through to BT's customers once Eircom increased the speeds?
    Graham A: This will most likely be the case but the full details on this have not been clarified so I cannot confirm this.
    BigCon: Ok, thanks for your help!!!
    Graham A: Thanks for contacting BT Ireland live sales support. If you have any further questions, please come back and chat with us, we'll be happy to help. Have a nice day. spacer.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

Wahey! I'm looking forward to the new speeds. :D Feel bad for the guys in table 2 tho...:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

yeah sucks to be them... (says he hoping his line will take the new speed)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,981 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Yeah I'll let people know if people in table 2 (ie. ME) are stuck.

I'm going to demand something if I don't get my speeds.

Jesus, you know what, when I read there was a table 2 with people who wouldn't get the speeds I knew I would be there, and I was :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭Willymuncher

Phew! thank god for that...I was sh*tting myself scrolling down to that bottom list.

Giblet wrote:
    Yeah I'll let people know if people in table 2 (ie. ME) are stuck.

I'm going to demand something if I don't get my speeds.

Jesus, you know what, when I read there was a table 2 with people who wouldn't get the speeds I knew I would be there, and I was :(
    It's bad enough when your line that can't handle the new speed but it's a right c**t when they don't bother doing the exchange at all:(

seems a lot of BT customers are getting different answers, guess we just have to wait and see :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭DJ Hafez

I was told "to see what happens during the weekend", I think they haven't been given info on the upgrade to be honest :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

tbh all the monkeys will know nothing until it's handed to them on a sheet.

it was the same sanario last time round, loads of people getting different answers off different carriers.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭exiztone

Any word on a new download allowance to go along with upgrade?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭shabbyroad

If you doubt Eircon's ability to do this upgrade properly you're right.

Last year I was supposed to be automatically upgraded from 1m/128k to 2m/128k

Guess what ? I didn't pay any attention and only from chatting with some guys in work (our employer pays for our bband) found out that I should have gotten this upgrade. Checked my router yesterday and sure enough I'm still on 1/128.
    Eircom have acknowledged there was an error and are "investigating".

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭radiospan

I might be wrong, but I think the upgrades last year were from 512/128 to either 1024/128 or 2048/128 (depending on whether you had the lower cap or higher cap 512K). So maybe you were upgraded from 512 to 1024?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 John_Carrick

Just gives following msg:

Possible disruption to your broadband service -

We will be upgrading our broadband service between 22:00 on Friday 20th January 2006 and 18:00 on Saturday 21st January 2006.

As a broadband customer, you may experience a disruption to your broadband service during this timeframe.
    -web

If you experience difficulty accessing the service after the upgrade please try the following before calling our Technical Support department:

* Try resetting the modem.

Users with a Static IP range should ensure that the router is using the first usable IP address.

Users of USB Modems such as the Alcatel Speed Touch USB or Zyxel 630 supplied by eircom should disable Negotiate multi-link for single-link connections in the PPP settings of their network connection. If this fails to work, upgrade to the latest drivers for the modem.

Advertisement