Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Upgrade D Day!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

plazzTT wrote:
    I might be wrong, but I think the upgrades last year were from 512/128 to either 1024/128 or 2048/128 (depending on whether you had the lower cap or higher cap 512K). So maybe you were upgraded from 512 to 1024?
    Correct. Unless he was on one of the business packages but I don't remember what they were at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Tank Top Fever!

will business users be affected by this? We need the internet for Saturday so it'd be a major pain if it was down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

If the last upgrade is anything to by, they gave a wide maintenance window but each exchange or customer was only affected very briefly. There were some speed fluctuations afterwards as well.

will business users be affected by this? We need the internet for Saturday so it'd be a major pain if it was down
    Yes. The most downtime you should expect (if any) should be a minute or two while your exchange is being done. It won't be a blanket outage from 10pm on Friday to 6pm on Saturday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Tank Top Fever!

kaizersoze wrote:
    Yes. The most downtime you should expect (if any) should be a minute or two while your exchange is being done. It won't be a blanket outage from 10pm on Friday to 6pm on Saturday.

cool thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Dazza25

BT are offering the upgrade too but it won't be done until the end of this month

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

no, everyone gets the upgrade the same weekend, Resellers of Eircom Broadband are all upgraded together on an exchange by exchange basis at least in speed. It happened to everyone last year when 512k was upgraded to 1mb & 2mb. Its up to your isp tho weather they upgrade your cap or not.

Afraid not Gonzo. True, Eircom upgrade the lines for everyone including resellers but then the resellers have to increase the speeds on their own DSLAMS so the end user won't see the increase until this is done

Dazza25 wrote:
    Afraid not Gonzo. True, Eircom upgrade the lines for everyone including resellers but then the resellers have to increase the speeds on their own DSLAMS so the end user won't see the increase until this is done
    The resellers dont own or operate the DSLAMS, Eircom do.
    Of course the resellers could, if they wanted to, throttle the connection speeds at their end but that highly unlikely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 465 ✭✭Bodan

Eircom are upgrading tommorrow , so are Netsource and Digiweb . Why would Bt not be upgrading , there just a reseller and im guessing the only thing they have controll over is the cap size and price of the product.

This was taken from another forum
    Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:32 am    Post subject:    

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

according to a guy in Esat BB sales yesterday all IOL BB customers will be
    upgraded the same time as Eircom  

if you going to say Bt will not be upgraded this weekend , please give sources or kindly shut the hell up :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

exiztone wrote:
    Any word on a new download allowance to go along with upgrade?

24 GB Home Starter
    30 GB Home Plus

bestads atleast could have given 32 35 :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭ADSLUSER

CyberGhost wrote:
    24 GB Home Starter
    30 GB Home Plus

Has this been confirmed or just a prediction/latest rumor?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭Willymuncher

CyberGhost wrote:
    24 GB Home Starter
    30 GB Home Plus

Where did you hear that? 30 is alright....could be worse. I wonder though, given that we're getting better upload speeds, will they now have a combined cap (upload and download counts towards your total, not having separate caps), I could see them doing something like that to stop bittorrent users.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭exiztone

CyberGhost wrote:
    24 GB Home Starter
    30 GB Home Plus

Who's that for? I'm interested in Esat :)

I'm admitting defeat on this one!Sorry I was confusing BT LLU Broadband with the Eircom Resale product! Yes BT customers will be upgraded this weekend too and yes those new caps are comming in.If you want to know my scource just check my profile!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

We'll go totally easy on ya as long as you are one of their generally excellent/reliable and pleasant tech dudes .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭radiospan

The caps probably will vary from ISP to ISP (as they do now).

30GB would be the least I'd hope for. As long as it's not combined up and down, that would be a disaster. I use close to 30GB up and down a month as it is.

These come into effect Feb 1st?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭ADSLUSER

Dazza25 wrote:
    I'm admitting defeat on this one!Sorry I was confusing BT LLU Broadband with the Eircom Resale product! Yes BT customers will be upgraded this weekend too and yes those new caps are comming in.If you want to know my scource just check my profile!

We trust ya, any info.on the upload caps?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Where did you hear that? 30 is alright....could be worse. I wonder though, given that we're getting better upload speeds, will they now have a combined cap (upload and download counts towards your total, not having separate caps), I could see them doing something like that to stop bittorrent users.

there was a thread here, caps are for eircom.

I don't know about upload counting.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

So while Eircom's customers experience disruptions for a welcome upgrade every other Non wireless Users will experience disruptions, and i use the word disruptions very lightely
    Digiweb wrote:

Due to planned Eircom upgrade work being performed on the network there will unfortunately be a DSL outage beginning this Friday evening which will continue until Saturday evening.

This work is intended to improve connection speeds and services for all DSL customers.

We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause and hope that the improved service will make up for this.

It is expected that service will be interrupted from Friday at 22:00 until Saturday evening at 18:00 at which point full service will resume.

Yay no broadband for no beneficial reason for a lot of people

• Advertisement

slade_x wrote:
    So while Eircom's customers experience disruptions for a welcome upgrade every other Non wireless Users will experience disruptions, and i use the word disruptions very lightely

Yay no broadband for no beneficial reason for a lot of people
    What are ya on about?
    Did you even read the rest of the posts in this thread?
    It's not just Eircom customers that will benefit from the upgrade. BT, UTV, Digiweb and all the rest will also benefit.
    It's not a blanket outage from 10pm on friday to 6pm on Saturday. Most people wont even notice anything. There may be 1 or 2 minutes downtime when your exchange is being done. That's it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

last year the upgrade from 512k to 2mb had no downtime for me whatsoever, i was surfing on boards at the time reading peoples comments who were upgraded before me, i kept checking my stats and eventually i was upgraded, i didnt have a second of downtime and I dont think we will have it this time either except maybe a timeout which will just be a reboot. I'd be surprised if anyone is down for more than 60 seconds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

Gonzo the router did reboot but you must have been reading intently at the time :)

That's all the downtime there is....as long as it takes the router to reboot. Job done.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

kaizersoze wrote:
    What are ya on about?
    Did you even read the rest of the posts in this thread?
    It's not just Eircom customers that will benefit from the upgrade. BT, UTV, Digiweb and all the rest will also benefit.
    It's not a blanket outage from 10pm on friday to 6pm on Saturday. Most people wont even notice anything. There may be 1 or 2 minutes downtime when your exchange is being done. That's it.

You mean have i read Speculation

"This work is intended to improve connection speeds and services for all DSL customers."

Such a statement from our perspective(non eircom user i mean) could mean the quality of service can improve, for example. efficiency, currently my 3Mbit connection maxes @ about 320kbytes/s, however after Eircoms upgrade my(digiweb) service could be more efficient and so achieve closer to the max of 384kbytes/s which a 3Mbit package would be limited too and secondly does "DSL" cover ADSL?

I Guess time will tell

During Digiwebs last upgrade there was no downtime, as it had nothing to do with the exchanges themselves, because accounts were just upgraded to new status, as part of a service expansion. This is an actual upgrade of the Network, so you can expect downtime.

Anytime digiweb can offer a free upgrade, all customers are notified on the upgrade details regardless of subsidisation.

I guess time will tell, if rumours are true and even all dsl/adsl customers receive the upgrade the new upload limits are pathetic, i am already paying €107 a month for a 3072kbps down / 256 kbps up

2m/128k goes to 3m/384k - that 3x up
    3m/256k goes to 4m/384k - thats 1.5x up

current 3mbit users on all service providers should at least get 512k up

Are you for real slade_x??? Have you read anything on this forum and elsewhere. The info is on the eircom site. Go have a look yourself. Anyone paying €107 for 3Mb really needs his head examined.

Valentia wrote:
    Are you for real slade_x??? Have you read anything on this forum and elsewhere. The info is on the eircom site. Go have a look yourself. Anyone paying €107 for 3Mb really needs his head examined.

Firstly i am not referring to what Eircom is promising its customer, i am referring to how other services are going to be affected by this

And secondly we dont all live in places where broadband is relatively cheap. Some of us pay a lot more to get what you may only pay half for. besides mine is a business account

A link to Digiwebs Current ADSL Packages

From the UTV newsgroup:

Eircom are undertaking upgrade work on all their exchanges this weekend to
    upgrade the DSL/Bitstream service that we give to our customers.

The work will commence at 10pm tomorrow (Friday) the 20th of Jan, and will
    continue until Saturday the 21st of Jan at 6pm.

This work will result in faster download and upload speeds, and may mean
    that customers could experience interruption of service, if they are
    connected, while their exchange is being upgraded.

Any individual interruption encountered by our customer should last no
    longer than 1 hour, and will more likely be around 15 mins.

Does that make it any clearer? Other providers have made similar announcements.

During Digiwebs last upgrade there was no downtime, as it had nothing to do with the exchanges themselves, because accounts were just upgraded to new status, as part of a service expansion. This is an actual upgrade of the Network, so you can expect downtime.
    Wrong. All digiweb did was pass on the new speeds that Eircom provided and it was the result work done by Eircom in the exchanges (the same as what will be done this weekend). They called it a service expansion to make themselves look good. There will be no downtime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭Chavster

Based on previous experience does anyone know what order the exchanges are upgraded? Or can anyone figure out roughly what time individual areas will be done?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

Valentia wrote:
    Whatchu talkin about willis?

Last time I checked that was a pretty good deal price/performance wise. No caps, no problems, dled about 2.4 terabytes with that connection in the past 12 months.

Advertisement