Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best place to buy veg in Dublin City

• 09-01-2006 2:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭

Whilst desperatley to find veg for a recipe the other day I visited a number of shops around the Dublin city centre, north and south and couldn't find much beyond brocolli.

The selection in the supermarkets was not exactly inspiring.

So...

question is where in central dublin, north or south, can one find a really great selection of veg? I'm thinking outside of the markets here.....it seems like there aren't any traditional fruit and veg shops anymore :(

First thread..hope i'm doing it right...mods forgive me if not!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

There is a new place on strand street great, which is between jervis street and caple street, which sells the organic veg you get in the temple bar market on saturdays, only it sells them all week. I've momentarily forgotten the name of the farmer. The price is a bit steep, but he has a great range. I still think Marks and Spencers is yer only man for fruit and veg. A bit more pricey, but cannot be beaten for quality.

Also, your thread is just fine :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

monroe wrote:
    Whilst desperatley to find veg for a recipe the other day I visited a number of shops around the Dublin city centre, north and south and couldn't find much beyond brocolli.

The selection in the supermarkets was not exactly inspiring.

So...

question is where in central dublin, north or south, can one find a really great selection of veg? I'm thinking outside of the markets here.....it seems like there aren't any traditional fruit and veg shops anymore :(

First thread..hope i'm doing it right...mods forgive me if not!

You could try the fruit and vegetable markets but you will need to buy in more bulk than a standard shop. That dosen't necessarily mean huge boxes as some items eg peppers/ cucumbers etc. come in boxes of 6/8. On the other hand you're talking about large boxes of apples/oranges.
    There is no VAT on fruit and veg so anyone can buy wholesale. I'd recommend Keelings on Little Green St and McManus's on Little Britain St. Keeling stock just about every fruit and vegetable there is to get.
    Open from 4/5am until about noon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Soulgirl

As regards fruit and veg, I really think you can't beat Evergreen on Wexford St. (or it may be Camden St.?) Either way, its a tiny little shop very close to the Village and Whelans.
    They have a superb selection, very fresh produce and the staff there are great for explaining what everything is and how you could cook it.
    Otherwise, the stalls further down on Camden St. always have a decent selection for good value.
    And (just thought of another place!), there are two shops just off Harrington St. (kind of behind the Spar there) run by North African families. they have very exotic fruit and veg there, and again, the prices are very reasonable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭monroe

Oh thanks a million for those suggestions..none of which I had heard of....

Will be checking out evergreen and the place near Jervis st this weekend...

Litcagral, I would never have thought of buying in bulk but it could be well worth it as long as they're not expecting me to take home 60 rather 6 peppers! I'd actually love to go up to that market one morning and have a look at it..

Thanks guys

Advertisement