Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Motorway Signs - Invalid Carriages?

Options
  • 09-01-2006 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭

The motorway ahead sign has a list of 7 users prohibted from using the motorway. Does anyone know what "invalid-carriages" means?

Does it refer to a disabled driver, a vehicle adapted to carry a disabled passenger or might it have an entirely different meaning.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Wheelchairs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

motorized wheelchair?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Not sure if I've seen them here in Ireland, but in the UK you always used to see a lot of these (usually light blue, for some reason) three-wheeler contraptions which were made specifically for physically handicapped persons. They used a very small two-stroke engine IIRC and were speed limited to something like 30 or 40mph. Not allowed on M-ways in the UK either.

I think now that there's a much higher availability of conversions of mainstream cars, that these things have thankfully pretty much disappeared from the scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

Alun wrote:
    Not sure if I've seen them here in Ireland, but in the UK you always used to see a lot of these (usually light blue, for some reason) three-wheeler contraptions which were made specifically for physically handicapped persons. They used a very small two-stroke engine IIRC and were speed limited to something like 30 or 40mph. Not allowed on M-ways in the UK either.

I think now that there's a much higher availability of conversions of mainstream cars, that these things have thankfully pretty much disappeared from the scene.

I remember those from when I was a kid. There were loads of those lttle sky-blue three-wheeled "InvaCars" (not unlike Reliant Robins), with motocycle handlebars instead of a steeing wheel and pedals. In Belfast we commonly referred to them as "cripple cars" :o

InvaCar.jpg

Advertisement