Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Installing windows on a brand new hard drive

• 09-01-2006 2:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭

I will be installing windows xp on a new hard drive today (old one died), I have the windows cd, i did a google check and it says the cd will load and install ok, but a friend of mine says i might need a boot disk (floppy) to tell the hard drive to look for the cd.

can anyone let me know if i do need a boot disk?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

No, you just need to set your BIOS to boot from cd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

how do i do that ?

Uh....what machine do you have?

ohhh , it's a dell.... sorry it's my girlfriends computer...no idea of model.

When you see the DELL splash screen as you turn your machine on press f2
    You will then be taken into a BIOS screen
    Look for Bootup options and alter the bootup options so it chooses to boot from IDE/CD ROM before hard drive then save and exit.
    Bang in the windows CD, start the machine and Bob's your uncle, itll boot into the windows install process. Remember to return your BIOS to the way it was after install though!

• Advertisement

cheers mate.

Advertisement