Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hibernia Course

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

lots of sample qs and info on the forum at educationposts.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Ruby-J

thanks byhook! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Lulu0706

hello to everyone!
    I applied last week and got an e-mail to say they'll contact me with an interview....just curious as to how soon will I have the interview when they've contacted me?
    I find myself panicking a little even though I don't have a date but like I'm sure they just want you to be yourself???
    And another silly quest but I don't excell in any area such as music or sport? Do you think this could be a disadv during interview??
    Thank you :p

hi lulu, i sent my application on july 13th and got my email the 15th and i just got a call there to arrange my interview. so its about 2-4 weeks. the whole process from sending application off to having interview can be up to 8 weeks. best of luck!

check out http://forum.educationposts.ie/search.php?search_id=2088458018

this is a great website for finding all the answers for hibernia interview and the course itself.

Thanks ruby! It's great it's so efficient but I'm going on holidays for the last two weeks of august! Am I right in saying you haven't your interview date yet?I'm gettin So worried about the Irish I was dreaming of it last night ha! Imagine what I'll be like when I have my date:eek:

I got a phonecall on tuesday and my date is the 27th august.

So its about 6 weeks from when you send your application! :)

Lol yeh i know im the same. My head is racing with all the irish i need to learn!!! the key is going in confident in the interview and that way you can pull off waffle if you forget anything youve learned, it would be a huge help in the english part too.

I've asked different people who are friends of friends that i dont know to give me some mock interviews so to prepare me for talking infront of strangers.

Ruby your never from Cork are ya?? :D Would ya believe I dont know anybody who did Hibernia? EEK :eek: Ya i'll be confident to teh best of my ability....ha! im expecting a call this week so judging from your time span! I'm so nervous because I want it so much....you prob feel the same and everyone else out there! Ill prob bombard you after your interview but i will return the favour successful or not ;) Plus I'd love to start in Feb...Its not full yet though no??

lol no im from dublin, living in laois. i spent 2 years in cork though. the craic as they say was mighty!

yeh i would love to get it too. it just needs to come across in your interview that you want it and believe you would make a great teacher.

as far as i know there are places left for the Feb 10 course. itd be great if we both got it!!!! :)

EEK!!! I got my date earlier tonight! i saw the 01 number ringing and knew it was them! i got it for the 10th but i graduate the 9th and didnt want that looming over in case i went out so its for Tues 15th! Im so excited and scared too because I havent a clue of Dublin for teh interview...it'll be grand though...im not gonna panic! How's your preparation going?? its so amazing what you here about something when you keep thinking about it but i bumped into an old friend who told me she recently got a job with Hibernia and she teaches us (hopefully in the future ;) in the Gaeltachts??? what are the odds so I got her number...ha! ill be on hols when you've your interview but good luck! and to anyone else who is reading....
    Im crazy busy with work so i hadnt been on for while and just in case with hols comin up i said i better wish you luck so thats why im early!:p

• Advertisement

lol i was the exact same when i saw the number! its mad how nerve wrecking it is!!! good thinking about changing your date and at least you have an extra week or two to revise and practice for it. have you been on educationposts.com? i copied and pasted other peoples questions and things from previous interviews. if you would like i can email them to you? if you want to pm me your email? :)

Hey hey! I'm bacvk from a lovely hol and ready to roll.....how did you get on?? i was thinking of you on hols..... im getting so nervous.....i told the principle about the interview and feel PRESSURE!!!!!!! but...i wont stress....ha! i hope it went ok for you :)

hey it went grand thanks. i havent heard back as yet but it seems a few people have heard from earlier on in the week and everyone has gotten in so i dont know what thats about. a good sign for us all but not when we finish as there will be no jobs lol!

Oh i hope you get in...ill keep my fingers crossed for you....you should know by fri i'd say?? Good Luck anyway....Was the interview ok?? how high did you find the standard of Irish?

Thanks lulu.

To be honest the interview went too well. it was so short and from what everyone has been saying its the way the interviews are going at the moment. the irish part was too simple. i had prepared so much and i only got asked, my past times, what do i like to do at the weekend and where did my interest in irish come from.

it was really short and i brought more of the stuff i had prepared into the interview to show them that i had more to offer. i was a bit peeved it was so short. but in saying that everyone on educationposts.com are saying the same.

how are you getting on with the preparation?

I got in! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭bruzz

Congratulations/say you must be delighted :)

Hope you don't mind me asking, was just wondering did you have much exp with kids subbing or otherwise before going for interview?

I intend going for it next year.

Thanks in advance.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!! i bet your delighted!!! That's great news bout it being easy if you could say that?! basically prep is starting tonight...meeting up with a girl to chat in Irish so I'll see how that goes! that's tonight and then i'm hoping to instill it in my brain and get in the zone. i work in prmary schol too so i asked my class teacher to speak to me in Irish...ive 13days :S

Congrats again....i wish it was me!!! EEk!! Hopefully i can say it this time 2weeks aswell!

well best of luck with it and remember the more prep you do the calmer and more relaxed you will be which means you can show them your true self.

if you have any queries dont hesitate to ask! im rooting for ya! would love to see ya in the feb group too! :)

bruzz wrote: »
    Congratulations/say you must be delighted :)

Hope you don't mind me asking, was just wondering did you have much exp with kids subbing or otherwise before going for interview?

I intend going for it next year.

Thanks in advance.

Nope i had no subbing at all. i have worked in a creche and a pre-school so that helped somewhat i guess from my own perspective as in working with children. but to be honest they did say it to me in the interview that it makes no odds if you subbing experience. so i wouldnt worry if you dont! :)

Lulu how are you fixed for tuesday???? all set? :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 palava1

heya,

I resat my leaving cert this year and i applied for hibernia on the 13th aug 09. I had my interview last week and was told this week that I never got in. I have applied already but I was wondering if anyone knows what exactly they are looking for in an interview? I had researched the education posts and the curriculum. I didnt think it was a great interview but it wasnt the worst either. I was gutted to hear that I didnt get in. i have never heard of people not getting into hibernia ( unless they were completely unprepared! ).

Has anyone else been rejected?
    Or can anyone tell me anything to help me with the interview?

Thanks!:confused:

Theres has been lots of people who havent got in. If you read the threads on educationposts.com and all the hibernia ones you will see that a lot of people had to do it 2 or 3 times and some even did it 5 times.

Dont be disheartened. Ask them for a print out of your interview result and you will see where they failed you on. Its most common in the irish part. dont think of it as a bad thing as you can reapply and get it the next time. i know its a pain considering it costs so much to apply.

Honestly i know of a lot of people who didnt get it first time.

They are mainly looking for a good competence of irish, an enthusiasm for teaching, experience with children, and a general understanding of whats involved in teaching.

Best of luck if you do reapply. But please do check out the posts on edposts. :)

Ruby-J wrote: »
    Theres has been lots of people who havent got in. If you read the threads on educationposts.com and all the hibernia ones you will see that a lot of people had to do it 2 or 3 times and some even did it 5 times.

Dont be disheartened. Ask them for a print out of your interview result and you will see where they failed you on. Its most common in the irish part. dont think of it as a bad thing as you can reapply and get it the next time. i know its a pain considering it costs so much to apply.

Honestly i know of a lot of people who didnt get it first time.

They are mainly looking for a good competence of irish, an enthusiasm for teaching, experience with children, and a general understanding of whats involved in teaching.

Best of luck if you do reapply. But please do check out the posts on edposts. :)
    omg thank you very much for getting back so fast! I have been so disheartened this week because of it. Im glad to hear others didnt get in first time either. I felt like the only one. I didnt realise you could get results of your interview. I must get that asap. Im totally determined to get this as I really want this.

thanks a mill for cheering me up! X

No probs! Dont get too disheartened as it does happen to a lot of people.

Feel free to pm me your email and i can forward on my notes, questions and things from my preparation for it.

Hey Ruby,
    Sorry I haven't been on this....Interview was a disaster....it wasnt until the last section I started to be me and teh IRish went awol and all the wrong quests were asked! he thought i was off my game because he asked who did i want to win tomorrow and i said i'd money on Kerry yet i'm from Cork?? Didn't go down well...ha! think he was a Cork man....Then, he asked for another nice place in Cork and i thought he must be kidding to ask me that and he repeated it and I got all flustered and AHHH!
    Anyway, I didn't get in but I'm applying again already and will be totally prepared....Im a firm believer in whats meant to be is meant to be! I'm dreading telling the principal though!!!Eek!
    So Chin up to anyone who didn't get in and we can all try again.... and work on our weaknesses!

Aww lulu im sorry to hear it. Honestly your best bet is to try and focus on leaving the nerves outside and try and steer the irish your way by answering simple short sentences and make it look like you are fluent by responding with an english word like a filler like "oh sure ta se.." or "well like is docha.." "bhi muinteoir agam nuair a bhi me sa bunscoil agus eh...." etc. throwing in english to your irish answers shows how you can go from thinking english straight to irish which looks a lot more comfortable and makes you look fluent of sorts. Like look at blathnaid ni chofaigh or grainne seoige or any of the presenters. they go from english to irish and more often then not throw in english in their irish sentences. :)

Best of luck with it. il forward you on an irish verb table and prepositional pronoun table i did out for my interview. it just helps with the verbs when you are forming sentences and things.

Hello,

I was unsuccessful in my first Hibernia interview. I am applying again. I was wondering does anyone know in the second interview do they ask you in irish pretty much the same questions again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭Rosita

Ruby-J wrote: »
    Aww lulu im sorry to hear it. Honestly your best bet is to try and focus on leaving the nerves outside and try and steer the irish your way by answering simple short sentences and make it look like you are fluent by responding with an english word like a filler like "oh sure ta se.." or "well like is docha.." "bhi muinteoir agam nuair a bhi me sa bunscoil agus eh...." etc. throwing in english to your irish answers shows how you can go from thinking english straight to irish which looks a lot more comfortable and makes you look fluent of sorts. Like look at blathnaid ni chofaigh or grainne seoige or any of the presenters. they go from english to irish and more often then not throw in english in their irish sentences. :)

Best of luck with it. il forward you on an irish verb table and prepositional pronoun table i did out for my interview. it just helps with the verbs when you are forming sentences and things.

I would be very wary of any advice about throwing English words into an oral Irish test in order to create the illusion of 'fluency'.

Native speakers such as those mentioned will inevitably mirror the nature of a living language with its various influences and are a different kettle of fish. And it also should be borne in mind that they are not speaking in an oral Irish examination setting when they are flitting in and out between languages.

I think 'like' adds little to English conversation never mind Irish and in the case of someone of whom it will be known that they are not a native/fluent speaker such words will, in my view, imply a degree of discomfort in the language and might give the impression of stalling and playing for time while trying to think of words which is the antithesis of fluency.

The key to an oral Irish is to do the simple things well and avoid silly grammar mistakes e.g. use sa bhunscoil not sa bunscoil. Errors like that will be glaring in that situation. Any examiner worth their salt will have a fair idea where someone stands within the first minute so it is far better to keep things simple and manageable rather than trying to artificially create the illusion of a standard that simply is not there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Steph90

Hey I was just looking for information on the Hibernia course. i will be graduating soon and i am thinking of applying since i didnt get accepted for my first choice.
    I just wanted to know if anyone doing the course could give me info on the work load, and teaching practice and if employers think it is a good course.
    would i be able to keep on a prt time job while studying? are the lectures online or some onsite?
    can i find teaching practise in my own area or do I have to stay around Dublin?
    also if anyone has graduated did they find it hard to find a job over people who had other courses??

any info would be great thanks:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Please do not bump old threads.

Thread about secondary Hibernia course here.

Thread about primary Hibernia course here.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement