Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance companies and malicious damage

Options
  • 09-01-2006 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭

Do all insurance companies pay out on malicious damage done to cars? Two years ago my mate was able to claim on a damage done to his car roof (some idiot decided to dance on it) and the cop told him if he claims though malicious damage it will not affect his no claims bonus. He was with FBD.
    Now I find myself under the same circumstances where buy my wind screen and wing mirror were done in and my Insurance company (hibernian) say if I claim it will cost me 300 to put in claim and that I will loose my no claims bonus. Should they pay out on malicious damage or is that an extra option in which I should have paid for.
    I know the wind screen is covered but I would like to also fix the wing mirror.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

syl77 wrote:
    Do all insurance companies pay out on malicious damage done to cars? Two years ago my mate was able to claim on a damage done to his car roof (some idiot decided to dance on it) and the cop told him if he claims though malicious damage it will not affect his no claims bonus. He was with FBD.
    Now I find myself under the same circumstances where buy my wind screen and wing mirror were done in and my Insurance company (hibernian) say if I claim it will cost me 300 to put in claim and that I will loose my no claims bonus. Should they pay out on malicious damage or is that an extra option in which I should have paid for.
    I know the wind screen is covered but I would like to also fix the wing mirror.

If your windscreen is covered, it would make more economic sense to pay for the mirror yourself and preserve your NCB.

(I realise I haven't answered your actual question)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

It's times like this when you need your insurance company to cough up and they make things difficult that you wonder what the point of having cover at all is!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Damnit, I had a big reply written out. :mad:

The €300 is probably an excess. Depending on your policy, you may have to pay the first €x of any claim. Claims under a certain amount may not affect your NCB. Again, this depends on the agreement you have with your insurer. Check your policy booklet to see if it has a section under malicious or criminal damage. There's definitely no law/regulation which says that it doesn't affect your NCB.

My advice is to get the windscreen replaced by the insurer (so long as it doesn't affect your NCB), and get the wing mirror replaced yourself. It shouldn't cost anything approaching €300.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭syl77

true..looks like the repair for the mirror will come out my pocket..:mad:
    Will get Insurance company to repair the windscreen.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

Big Balls wrote:
    It's times like this when you need your insurance company to cough up and they make things difficult that you wonder what the point of having cover at all is!

Damn sheisters!!

my brother got all his windows kicked in.
    and it took ages but surprisingly QuinnDirect coughed up in the end. - but that was in 2001, lol

• Advertisement
Advertisement