Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best BB option for a new house in Dundalk

• 09-01-2006 3:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I have checked carefully nearly all the BB options available in Ireland and it seems to be quite hard to get a cheap and acceptable quality service.

I have recently moved to a house and there seems to be something that appears to be a RJ11 plug (phone plug) but as it is quite old I am not sure if there is even a phone line.

The problem to bypass the line rental cost is that:
    - SmartBroadband and NTL do not operate in Dundalk

The problem with line rental is that:
    - I have to pay €49.99 (inc. VAT) + €24.18 (inc. VAT) to Eircom just for having a phone line and then switch to BT Ireland (50€ MORE for installation + first month). In the end this means a roughly 75 + 50 = 125 € just for the installation and then 40€ for the BT Ireland bundled package for line rental with phone line + broadband.

The cheapest thing then seems to be Digiweb's wireless service (35 inc. VAT/month + €89.66 incl vat/instalation), which would mean to save 35€ in the installation (plus avoiding the hassle changing from eircom to BT Ireland) and then 5€/month comparing
    to BT Ireland (phone+BB).

Obviously Digiweb's Homewave service offers no phone capabilities but that is not really important
    for me as I would use Skype most of the time.

What does not let me decide is the still high cost of the installation for HomeWave service (89.66€) and the high cost (35€) just for broadband (with no phone line), besides a low speed (512/128) and a scary user allowance of just 10GB ..

I would be happy with BT Ireland bundled package but the extra cost and hassle of going through eircom just to enable the phone line puts me down as well ..

Any suggestions?

Many many thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

The banner ad in the top right corner of my screen says that Digiweb Metro is available in Dundalk. If it is, you get free install and two months free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Digiweb Metro, I've got it in Dundalk, working grand now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 patx

Blaster99 wrote:
    The banner ad in the top right corner of my screen says that Digiweb Metro is available in Dundalk. If it is, you get free install and two months free.

That's 42.4€/month (inc. VAT) and the installation fee (€112.36 incl vat 13.5%) is quite high (I think the offer of free installation and 2 months off has ended).

http://www.digiweb.ie/broadband_metro_services.asp?i=80&i2=81&i6=91&zzz=hm

Seems to be the best service anyway .. but certainly it is not the cheapest (ok, it's 3Mbps but .. do you know they have 26Mbps in Belgium since a few months ago?).

It seems to be the best quality for price (in Dundalk) .. I think

Advertisement