Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

play.com, euro price difference

Options
  • 09-01-2006 3:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I was just wondering has anybody noticed the huge price discrepancy between prices listed in sterling and those listed in euro on play. Even given for price fluctuations a list price of £7.99 sterling is equated by them to €12.99 which means that they are making at least €1.20. I normally order in sterling but sometimes I am directed to order in euro, however I never really looked into the difference before. Also, I can't seem to find an email address for their customer service department on the website, what sort of response do you reckon they would give me if I email them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Does it really matter?

Just order your stuff in Sterling and use XE for currency conversion.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

In general, distance retailers who operate across multiple currencies (and give prices in different currencies), tend to do one of two things:

1. Price all goods in one currency, and then use fixed exchange rates (updated once a week or so) to calculate.
    2. Price goods separately for different currencies. This introduces a lot of overhead, but it does allow you to adjust prices for delivery costs, market trends, etc.

Either way, your chances of getting shafted are just as likely as your chances of benefitting. Just order in the base currency and work it out for yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

Prices are decided on a few factors not always just the margin. As mentioned a base currency will effect things however they don't update such things weekly. It is more likely yearly with redundancy element is added to cater for massive swings.

Price pointing also is used so that prices come out rounded like 9.99 not 10. These round up in general.

As you can buy through sterling it isn't really a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭ButtermilkJack

Can you buy through sterling though? It's been a while since I ordered from Play but I seem to remember being directed through Euro at the time of payment? At the start they didn't offer Euro cuurency purchases and the Irish banks just converted the price when it arrived on your credit card, so you got a direct price comparison. In other words £7.99 became €11.68 or whatever it was at the time.

Maybe I'm wrong but either way, I think you are correct. Like most international retailers they must round up in order to avoid losses because, as you point out, they don't update their conversion rates too often. So, by keeping prices slightly higher they can avoid any losses brought on from rate changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

frencheddy wrote:
    I was just wondering has anybody noticed the huge price discrepancy between prices listed in sterling and those listed in euro on play. Even given for price fluctuations a list price of £7.99 sterling is equated by them to €12.99 which means that they are making at least €1.20. I normally order in sterling but sometimes I am directed to order in euro, however I never really looked into the difference before. Also, I can't seem to find an email address for their customer service department on the website, what sort of response do you reckon they would give me if I email them.
    Have you taken the different VAT rates into account?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭mickymg2003

Do they take vat into account?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I don't know, but our VAT is 21% while the UK's is 17% AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Play operate from Jersey specifically to avoid charging VAT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭garred

I usually just buy in sterling. Actually cd-wow are the opposite. You mostly save a couple of pence on the conversion during their buying process.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

You can definitely order in sterling.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

skywalker wrote:
    You can definitely order in sterling.

Indeed you can, I always do so just order in Sterling and stop complaining :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

garred wrote:
    I usually just buy in sterling. Actually cd-wow are the opposite. You mostly save a couple of pence on the conversion during their buying process.
    Yes, this is always the case. I find it odd that people don't cop that the price is rounded up on play, it always ends in 99cent that should be ringing alarmbells. I sometimes change to euro in play just to see the rough price, knowing it will really be less, it is better than looking at XE since when you get the item you will have been charged more and a little pissed off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭MontgomeryClift

I had the exact same experience (at exactly the same price) so I just ordered in Sterling and I believe I was billed in Sterling converted to Euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭anthonymcg

frencheddy wrote:
    but sometimes I am directed to order in euro

What?! When and how were u "directed" to pay in euro?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Just order in sterling.

Their customer services can easily be reached by phone.

For Playusa do people order in Canadian dollars or US dollars?

Are the DVDs Canadian editions or are they based there?
    My Mallrats X had French writing on it and the case says 'distributed by Universal Canada'

Advertisement