Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recording Demo on laptop

Options
  • 09-01-2006 3:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭

I am aware there are probably other threads about this but i'm in a rush.

I was wondering what are the best programs for actually recording. I would like to record drums, vocal, guitar aswell. Do i need some sort of sound box? I know some one with protools and its great but it set him back around 600 euro. ugh.

I do have adobe audition. Can I do stuff with this program?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Beecher

Redegg wrote:
    I was wondering what are the best programs for actually recording. I would like to record drums, vocal, guitar aswell. Do i need some sort of sound box? I know some one with protools and its great but it set him back around 600 euro. ugh.

For anyway decent recordings you are looking at around 600 minimum. If you want to get into Pro-Tools (and I suggest you should since your mate has it so help can help you with any teething problems plus you could collaborate on each others tracks) now has never been a better time, the original MBox has now been replaced by the MBox2 and thus MBox's are being flogged off dirt cheap, roughly 300 euro. This does come with pro tools software which will be more than adequate. Then all you would need would be a few decents mics (Sm57's for instruments, Sm58's for vocals, roughly 80-90 euro each) and since the MBox only has 2 mic-ins you will require a small mixer to mic the drumkit.
    Redegg wrote:
    I do have adobe audition. Can I do stuff with this program?

Its great for audio editing but I wouldnt rate its sequencing ability.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Redegg

excellent. The Mbox sounds great and exactly what i need. Cheers for the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

may be difficult finding any mbox 1's. I couldn't find them anywhere but ebay!

Thomann had them till 2-3 weeks ago, unfortunatly there has been a recall on them but if you look hard enough you'll find one somewhere.

Heres one. Its currently in stock but when its sold its gone.

• Advertisement

im guessing 233.81 euro is a good deal?

Very good if you can get it for that price, a year ago these were closer to 500.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭squibs

You can do a lot with adobe audition. It costs a few quid - did you buy it without knowing what it was for? It doesn't have midi sequencing afaik, but this may not matter to you.

Pro tools is not the only game in town. Cubase SE, Cakewalk home studio, N-track, audition, ect. are all valid choices - specially when you add all the freeware VST effects and VSTi instruments available. Look at creative labs, m-audio, edirol for soundcards bundled with software.

If you are recording drums, you'll need at least four inputs to get a good recording. Look for something with mic and line in. sp/dif and midi will always come in handy too.

no i got I got audition off a friend as he thought I'd like it. Have not really had a proper look at it yet! Can you layer intrument over instrument in that?

Yes in multitrack mode (big button on the top left).

• Advertisement
Advertisement