Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connecting iPod to car stereo

Options
  • 09-01-2006 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

I'm gettin a new car next week but it only has a factory installed stereo.

It doesn't have a cassette player in it so I can't connect my ipod via a cassette adapter and I have tried using an itrip before but i couldn't keep it in tune and the sound quality wasn't great.

Is there any way of wiring the ipod up to the car stereo?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭whippet

check out either

http://www.harmankardon.com/drive-1/index.html

or

http://www.dension.com/icelink.htm

I think the drive and play is priced at about €200 and the Ice Link is about €150.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭jamieh

Hey,

Thanks a mill for that!!

Do you where I could get the Harman Kardon system in Ireland??

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

jamieh wrote:
    Hey,

Thanks a mill for that!!

Do you where I could get the Harman Kardon system in Ireland??

Cheers

Halfords will have them in stock soon, they don't have an exact date or price though. They'll be doing installations of them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭whippet

a friend of mine is waiting on one through a trade order and has no idea when he will get it. I want to have a look at his before I take the plunge.

I had a play with the ice link before, while it is nice and handy didn't really float my boat like the pics I have seen of the drive and play.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭jamieh

I had a look on ebay but all of the sellers are in the states and wont post to europe and the models in the states are wireless so you'd have to buy and wired adapter....Halfords it is!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭rugbug86

you could try the new itrip that plugs into your cigarette lighter. also charges ipod. perfect for long car journeys... my uncle got a pioneer stereo installed in his car, think it was about €400. a bit steep but its a dvd player too. and he can use the touch screen like you use the click-wheel on the ipod.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

iTrips are really crap compared to hooking your ipod up to the stereo with leads.

The only reservation I have about the Drive and Play is that it will make my car more attractive to thieves who might think it's a GPS or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Ro-76

jamieh wrote:
    Hey all,

I'm gettin a new car next week but it only has a factory installed stereo.

It doesn't have a cassette player in it so I can't connect my ipod via a cassette adapter and I have tried using an itrip before but i couldn't keep it in tune and the sound quality wasn't great.

Is there any way of wiring the ipod up to the car stereo?
    What brand is the stereo? It's possible to hook up a simple AUX line into many stereos. I did it with my blaupunkt and use it with my iPod. The connections vary, but for the blaupunkt it cost about 5 euro.

I looked at the Hramon Kardon system before, but to me all it does is replicate the iPod inteface on an ugly screen velcroed to your dash.

Ro

• Registered Users Posts: 16,052 ✭✭✭✭event

purchase a stereo that allows you to have an aux lead in on the front

much easier

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

Alpine 9847 just the biz. Great sound

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

i got the denison icelink for the Renault Scenic bog stereo and all i can say is WOW. 3rg gen 15gig works perfectly in car with remote control on the steering colum also.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭bbbbb

Got an iTrip for my ipod mini at Christmas. Was having mixed results with it.

Went to the carwash at the weekend & decided to leave the aeriel off. That combined with having the ipod right beside the radio gave much better results.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Silent Assasin

Brookie,
    how much did you pay for the Dension unit and where did you get it ? Have been thinking about this for a while.

Advertisement