Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Web hosting

Options
  • 09-01-2006 5:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭

Hello all.
    I am looking for a reliable place to host a website of mine. any suggesstions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

http://www.blacknight.ie/ or http://www.hosting365.ie. Both are very "reliable".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭Robert

Hi I use www.godaddy.com and find them great and very cheap for there basic package only $3.95

Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Robert wrote:
    Hi I use www.godaddy.com and find them great and very cheap for there basic package only $3.95

There are (Lots more!) much better priced packages out there other than the two which I suggested - but, having used GoDaddy just an hour again; I remembered why I use Irish... it's consistently faster; and should something go wrong, you have a better comeback...
    /rant.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,521 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I use Hosting365 for all my stuff. Some companies seem so hard to deal with even though they are cheaper. 365 is always friendly, cooperative and don't treat you like you are thick. Also get e-mails etc and uptime is excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭BioHazRd

I used GoDaddy before, and I'd rather stick needles in my eyes before I would use them again - you definitely get what you pay for. Go for someone like Hosting365 - at least you would have support

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

http://www.blacknight.ie are very reliable,cheap and very helpfull.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Another vote for Blacknight here. They host my site and I have not noticed any downtime at all. The previous crowd I had were a cheap US operation, and they sucked (you know the type that offers shedloads of space and thousands of gigs of bandwidth for a song... its that cheap for a reason). It was up and down all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

much better quality web hosts out their than blacknight or 365.

http://www.ipower.com <--- best for shared hosting, dedicated and VPS

We have a good few server farms with them and we use highly intensive web applications on our servers, A1 support and service.

7.99$ per month with multi domain hosting options!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

Define 'better quality' ? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 croiadh

http://www.blacknight.ie are the one I use for my business site - no problems

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Define "server farm" for that matter. Always hated that term. Using an agricultural term to define something that's supposed to be speedy and reliable is just dumb imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

Ken Shabby wrote:
    Define "server farm" for that matter. Always hated that term. Using an agricultural term to define something that's supposed to be speedy and reliable is just dumb imho.

Fair enough ken, you have your opinions. A farm is not only an agricultural term. And if you acctually knew what the term ment you wouldnt be asking such an un-educated stab into nothingness. and FYI these are citrix farms, do a bit of research on it mate! you might learn something.

Well, better quality the server hosting your website resides in some of the most advanced datacentres on the planet; your server will be up 24/7/365 something which most web hosts claim to do but never deliver on.

IPOWER servers are up 24/7. and before you go off about quoting server uptimes steve i have seen rack365's customer sites go up and down.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Blitz wrote:
    you might learn something
    Heh.

To be fair Blitz, I would imagine Ken knows quite abit more about this area that perhaps you realise or certainly give him credit for.

As for 'advanced datacentres' or 24/7 - we are the only Irish host to own and run our own datacentre and networks, we host just over 30% of all Irish websites and provide 100% uptime for companies like Bank of Scotland, the Irish Stock Exchange, Budget Travel, O2, Smart Telecom, Several Government Departments, the Companies Office, and many many many more (over 50,000 more in fact).

We also offer multiple service levels and SLA's, dependant on how important uptime is to a customer. We provide 100% Network and Power SLA's and a 2 hour hardware fix (significantly better that iPower).

As for you seeing downtime with sites we host, as above, customers can host on a single, non redundant server, or a fully load balanced cluster with attached storage - it's up to the customer themselves. How often have you noticed boards.ie down for example?

As for any one company being 'perfect' - that's simply impossible - sites like www.webhostingtalk.com throw up plenty of rants and whinges about outages, problems and rude staff at iPower, and other companies. (http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=420455&highlight=ipower)

It's always good to be informed before trying to cast aspersions in public.

As for 'advanced datacentres' or 24/7 - we are the only Irish host to own and run our own datacentre and networks.

??

The fact you run your own has no baring on how 'advanced' it is.

The fit out, infrastructure, audits we've been through and customers that are based here have a baring on how advanced it is. Define 'advanced' in data centre terms for that matter :):)

The fit out, infrastructure, audits we've been through and customers that are based here have a baring on how advanced it is. Define 'advanced' in data centre terms for that matter :):)

It can be as simple as the type of tiles on the floor , UPS design, cooling strategies, building security......etc etc

As I've been in your "Data Center" when you had your open day, my honest opinion would be it's a 'nice' Server Room.

Don't think I saw you on the day :) We've done a lot of work since and our facility checks every single box that any other Irish DC does in terms of fit out, security, redundancy, etc. We simply wouldn't have the customers we do if it didn't. We also maintain our own fiber network, interconnecting us with all the other main Irish data centres, where we maintain points of presence and backup facilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭jmcc

The one useful thing about having websites hosted in Ireland, in an Irish datacentre is that if you need to, you can visit the place. Some of these US "datacentres" are often little more than shared hosting on a heavily loaded box. Some might even be some kid hosting it on a Windows desktop box in a basement. Ipower seens large enough - 360614 domains hosted as of March 01 but it has that one big f*ck off problem - it is not on Irish IP space. The result of this if you have a .com site is that you get lost in the noise when the user searches for pages from Ireland.

Regards...jmcc

Just wanted to place an open invite for anyone to come tour our datacentre! :) Anyone who would like to see a world-class facility up close and personal, and get free coffee and chocolate biscuits, drop me a pm :)

• Advertisement

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tags/hosting365/

Has some shots of our facilities.

Advertisement