Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graphic design work in Montreal/Quebec

Options
  • 09-01-2006 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭

I've posted over on the Travel/Holiday board too, but I thought I'd check here in case any lurking designers who've worked over in Canada.

At the end of the year my girlfriend and I will be moving to Canada for a year or so to work. Now in my work there shouldn't be any problem with needing French, but my girlfriend is a graphic designer and is worried about it since she'll probably have to deal with clients etc.

Has anyone here worked in graphic design in Montreal or Quebec (or anywhere else in Canada for that matter)? She has leaving cert French which will get her so far, but does anyone know if they are looking for fluent speakers only?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

I'm not sure if english isn't spoken as much as you are making it out to be. I would say that everyone will have english, or most will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭frodo_dcu

unfortunatly the main language in the quebec province is french which includes the cities of quebec and montreal but rest of canada is mainly english. i was overthere a while ago for a few weeks and i'd say about 70% + of people speak french as a first language but at least half of them will good enough english and most make a effort to help you comminicate. i would say with LC english that once your girlfriend is over there, if she makes an effort she'll be great at french i a few weeks. it makes a huge difference how fast you learn once your over there and speaking it every day
    i would advise maybe brushing up on some technical french to do with graphic design though

good luck in canada its a great country

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭casper-

Montreal has a far larger native-English speaking population than Quebec City. If you go to Montreal you (and she) will be more than fine. For her work, it would probably be easier if she went into a firm that had English clients and brushed up on her French in the meant time, but I suspect it will boil down to her skills over language for the most part.

Sigh..I miss Ottawa. Heh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭satchmo

Thanks guys, that sounds promising.
    Does anyone know any graphic desginers who have worked over in Canada? I can't imagine the work would be too different from how it's done here, but I'd like to hear from someone who has experience working in both Ireland and over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

You could try and contact some GD based in Canada and ask how they get on. Might seem like a crude way to go about it, but you'll find they should be quite helpful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 Shortnose

I'd shoot for Montreal if I were you. Everyone speaks English there. It's only the 'hard-core' people who refuse, I'm sure! LOL!!

I took French for years, but also hadn't used it for years when I was there and I got along just fine.

Quebec City, however, is another story from what I understand.

I, too, am a graphic artist (amongst other things). Well, let's just say I was a graphic artist in the "old days" when personal computers weren't even being used! Type was run through a film processor and 'waxed' before pasting it up.

OLD!

Now I have every program under the sun and have yet to learn them... oh, well, soon... so I do concept and design for myself for product development purposes.

I tell you what you might try:

Go to Tribe.net. They have a section on Montreal. http://montreal.tribe.net/local Try to get on a tribe there or start one (free).

Or try craiglist: http://montreal.craigslist.org/ Again, free...

If I think of anything else, I'll come back and post it!

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭satchmo

Thanks Shortnose they're some very handy links, I'll keep an eye on them.

Advertisement