Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pete Burns to face jail?

Options
  • 09-01-2006 6:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.manchesteronline.co.uk/entertainment/filmandtv/tv/s/198/198131_celebrity_bb_pete_could_face_jail_over_coat.html
    Celebrity BB: Pete could face jail over coat

CELEBRITY Big Brother contestant Pete Burns could face jail over his "gorilla-skin" coat, a Government minister has warned.

The Dead Or Alive star claims his fur coat is made from the endangered animals.

Now the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs has stepped in to say Burns may face "serious consequences" if this turns out to be true.

Trading in endangered species carries a penalty of up to five years in prison and an unlimited fine.

Biodiversity Minister Jim Knight said: "Gorilla skins belong on gorillas, not on reality TV show contestants. Gorillas are critically endangered, and any promotion of gorilla products in this country can only put these amazing creatures in further peril.

"If this is in fact a gorilla skin, there may be serious consequences.

Permit

"Any gorilla skin acquired after June 1947 would require an exemption permit, which would be highly unlikely to be granted. Equally, any gorilla skins or other products brought into this country require an import permit."

The coat has already sparked a furious row with fellow housemate Jodie Marsh.

When surgically-enhanced singer Burns said he was offended by Marsh's autobiography, in which she spilled details about her ex-boyfriends, the glamour girl retorted: "Well, I think it's low that you wear a monkey coat. It offends me every time I see it on your back."

Burns hit back: "That thrills me. I get off on the fact that my coat offends someone who put her boyfriend's dirty underwear in a book. I'm thrilled.

"I wish I had a sable coat and a chinchilla dressing gown and every other fur I could lay my hands on."

I would love to see this happen. Anyone who wears a Gorrila skin jacket, and then has the nerve to boast about it on a reality TV show deserves what they get. According to law, he could get an unlimited fine and up to five years in jail.

Lock him up I say.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

Him? Her? It? Scary.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭MadPatrick

To be fair, his boyfriend bought it fot him and told him it was gorilla. He could have been taking the piss.
    Would you get in trouble for wearing it if it was a present??

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Looks more like Goats skin to me . he is a scary looking creature anyway .

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

MadPatrick wrote:
    To be fair, his boyfriend bought it fot him and told him it was gorilla. He could have been taking the piss.
    Would you get in trouble for wearing it if it was a present??

Probably not, but the boyfriend is in for it anyway if that is the case!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Probably not, but the boyfriend is in for it anyway if that is the case!
    He himself would probably face some charges dealing with ownership/possession/aiding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

seamus wrote:
    He himself would probably face some charges dealing with ownership/possession/aiding.

I certainly hope he is reprimanded in some way, because the way in which he boasts about wearing a coat made from an endangered species is sickening.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Don't these laws only count if the article was made since they were enacted? i.e If you bought an old coat, it isn't illegal because it was made before the law came in?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I hope they don't find out about his Greyhound Fur Tuxedo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

I hope they don't find out about his Greyhound Fur Tuxedo.

dammit! I wanted to make that joke!

nonetheless:

Burns: Some men hunt for sport,
    Others hunt for food,
    The only thing I'm hunting for,
    Is an outfit that looks good...

See my vest, see my vest,
    Made from real gorilla chest,
    Feel this sweater, there's no better,
    Than authentic Irish setter.

See this hat, 'twas my cat,
    My evening wear - vampire bat,
    These white slippers are albino
    African endangered rhino.

Grizzly bear underwear,
    Turtles' necks, I've got my share,
    Beret of poodle, on my noodle
    It shall rest,

Try my red robin suit,
    It comes one breast or two,
    See my vest, see my vest,
    See my vest.

Like my loafers? Former gophers -
    It was that or skin my chauffeurs,
    But a greyhound fur tuxedo
    Would be best,

So let's prepare these dogs,

Mrs. Potts: Kill two for matching clogs,

Burns: See my vest, see my vest,
    Oh please, won't you see my vest.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,064 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Pete is a disgusting sham of a person. I would be happy to see "it" go to jail. Its outlooks on fur and plastic surgery make me sick...

I can never listen to "you spin me right round" again :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Tusky wrote:
    I can never listen to "you spin me right round" again :(
    No change there then.... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Is this from the same people who brought you productions of "Kitten to face jail?" and "Makosi to face jail!" ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Yup deserves something else then jail.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,261 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Police swoop on BB Pete's 'gorilla' coat

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]19/01/2006 - 14:47:00[/FONT] peteburns.jpg

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Police seized Pete Burns’ “gorilla” coat from the Big Brother house today.

Officers from Herts Constabulary took action after receiving a flood of complaints from viewers.

The Dead Or Alive star has claimed his coat is made from the fur of the endangered animals.

A Herts Police spokeswoman said: “Following a number of complaints from members of the public regarding a coat taken into the Big Brother house by Pete Burns, the coat in question has been handed across to police officers from Herts Constabulary.

“The coat will now be tested to determine its origin.

“Herts Constabulary will take positive action to investigate any allegation of criminal activity.”

Big Brother asked Burns to hand over the coat earlier today.

A show spokesman said: “We have passed the coat to police for investigation. Pete is aware of the situation.”

Last week Government minister Jim Knight warned Burns could face jail if the coat turns out to be made from gorilla fur.

Trading in endangered species carries a penalty of up to five years in prison and an unlimited fine.

Surgically-enhanced singer Burns had a furious row with animal-lover Jodie Marsh over the coat, which she claimed was cruel.
    [/FONT]

If it turns out true I hope 'it' goes to jail.:mad:[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bamboozled

Turns out that its fake.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

Bamboozled wrote:
    Turns out that its fake.
    Which is fake? Do you mean the story that Pete Burnt could face jail is fake or that the fur coat in question is a fake?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bamboozled

The coat deemed to be gorilla. Sorry, I'm not with it at all tonight.
    Natural History Museum folks tested it and its not gorilla though it could/may be made from the Colobus monkey which is also endangered, so while its not the major offence everyone once thought, it may be a more minor offence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

Hey Bamboozled, look what Google turmed up when I looked up "Colobos monkey":

http://www.honoluluzoo.org/colobus_monkey.htm
    The Colobus monkey has a number of features that demonstrate adaptation to a life spent primarily in the upper levels of the forest canopy. A light weight bone structure and elongated limbs make it easier to leap from branch to branch. A hand with four fingers and no thumb provides a strong grasp on branches as the animal moves through the trees. (The name "colobus" means "mutilated one" and refers to the missing thumb.)

Pretty ironic don't ya think! :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

I hate Pete Burns !

Thats all !

Thank you and goodnight .

Advertisement