Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows MCE very slow

Options
  • 09-01-2006 6:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭

My windows mce has recently got very very slow to navigate around the folders. Sometimes it takes 30+seconds to open a folder. There aren't many files in the folder and its not a matter of the HDD being asleep - it can take ages to open a folder which has just been open.
    This is only when using the MCE interface, not windows explorer.

Anyone else had this problem, any solutions?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Have you run a defrag of your hard disk recently?

Do you have update2 installed, if so have you set the time for the optimization process to run?

When you talk about folders, which folders are you talking about? Video folders, photo folders, music folders. Are these folders on the same PC or are they on a network share?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

interesting that it only occurs within the MCE app.

How much RAM do you have?
    Does a reboot even give a temporary solution?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭Mr. Flibble

Ive noticed it mainly when i initialy go to 'my videos'. The folder here contains other folders containing videos. Its on a software RAID of 3 harddrives. I'll run a defrag and see if it helps.

I think Ive got all the most recent updates installed. I'll check the optimiation time.

Loads of ram SouperComputer, 2GB. Yes, sometimes it is lightning fast after a restart.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

sounds like a memory leak. Not sure what you can do to help it though. Anything interesting\nasty in event viewer?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

hey, I seem to remember coming across a thread describing a similar problem on http://www.thegreenbutton.com so might be worth doing a search there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭Mr. Flibble

The problem is solved. I changed a whole load of things so Im not sure what was causing it. I suspect that a folder over a network was being watched and was slowing it when it wasn't available.
    thanks all

Advertisement