Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student Info

Options
  • 09-01-2006 7:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭

Is there any such thing as a Student rent allowance type scheme, Im almost certain I saw something on a grant info sheet a few years ago, but cant find anything anywhere now. So any help?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Are you a school leaver or a mature student?

When I was in college, there were mature students who delibertly went on the dole for 6 months before starting college so they could claim Back to Education allowance and numorous benefits. Think its a 15months period now.Caused a lot of resentment at the time.

I don't think there is a rent allowance scheme for students. However, if you're claiming a grant there are adjacent and non-adjacent rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Generally rent allowance isn't paid to students as it is presumed their parents are providing them with some support, up to I think 23. However there will be specific circumstances where they may qualify the easiest being an orphan, then people living alone anyway, people whose parents receive rent allowance and the least likely being people who live with t heir parents.

Advertisement