Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Network Setup Help

Options
  • 09-01-2006 7:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43

Can someone help with this home network setup problem. I've a broadband connection through an SMC baricade router. I've two PCs connected to this router. Both access the internet fine. Now i tried to setup a network between these two PCs. I ran Network Setup Wizard on both PCs. On PC1, in my network places i can see the workgroup and can both PCs listed. However, when i try to access PC2 from here i get a message to say PC2 is not accessible. When i try to ping PC2 from PC1, ping requests timeout.
    On PC2, the workgroup appears in my network places but when i try to access the workgroup i get the error message "Mshome is not accessible". I can successfully ping PC1 from PC2. I cannot ping PC2 from itself if i use its IP address, but i can ping it in loopback (127.0.0.1).
    Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭ronanp

Just make sure that:

1) Both PC's are in the same workgroup
    2) Both PC's have file and print sharing enabled and the server service running (start->run->services.msc)
    3) Both PC's are in the same subnet. e.g
    PC1: IP: 192.168.1.2
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

PC2: IP: 192.168.1.3
    Subnet Mast: 255.255.255.0

If the internal IP address of your router is in a different subnet (probably 192.168.0.) then change the IP addresses accordingly.

Maybe you could post your current IP addressing if your having probs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 SHAKESPEARE_SIS

Hi, thanks for reply,

1. Both are in the same workgroup. in fact i can "see" PC2 in the workgroup from PC1 My Network Places

2. Both have file sharing selected and the server service is confirmed running

PC1 is 192.168.2.162 subnet mask 255.255.255.0
    PC2 is 192.168.2.140 subnet mask 255.255.255.0

I'm thinking that there must be something very fundamentally wrong with PC2 as it can ping 192.168.2.162 (PC1) ok but can't ping 192.16.2.140 (iteslf, request timeout). I think that TCP/IP must be OK because on PC2, i can ping 127.0.0.1 (and Internet works fine) :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Disable Windows + 3rd party firewalls and test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 SHAKESPEARE_SIS

Yep, it was Norton Firewall. Thanks for the help.

Advertisement