Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MYSQL Connection problem

Options
  • 09-01-2006 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭

I have this problem again when I installed to windows 2000 using MYSQL 4.1 and PHP 4.3.1

'Client does not support authentication protocol requested by server; consider upgrading MySQL client'

I have the same problem with this when I installed under Windows XP. The solution for this is to run the following command under SQL environment.

SET PASSWORD FOR user@localhost = OLD_PASSWORD('password');

But when I do this command under Windows 2000, it does not work ? the sql message says 'Query OK, 0 rows affected'

It seems that windows 2000 does not allow me to update my database, how do I get around with this ?

Can someone help me on this please.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

Have you tried creating a new user with all the relevant permissions?
    also if you use phpmyadmin it makes a lot of this stuff easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭maco

Yeah I did create new user and grant them proper authority but still does not work . . . .

Is is possible to change the password via MYSQL conrtol center ? if yes, how to do it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

did you do
    flush privileges;

after the change of password? Is your client definately connecting to localhost and not, say, "computername.domain"?

.cg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Serbian

You could also try connecting to the database using mysqli. Your database version needs to be > 4.1.3 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

cgarvey wrote:
    did you do
    flush privileges;

after the change of password? Is your client definately connecting to localhost and not, say, "computername.domain"?

.cg

My money's on this being the problem. "0 rows affected" does not mean the command didn't work. Either flush privileges or reload the server.

AFAIK mysqli is PHP5 only.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭maco

Guys thanks for all of yoyr replies . . .

Sico you are right . . .

It works now, I think the message "0 rows affected" is wrong, it actually updated my database since the message says that I also think it did not. I display all my users and noticed it has updated, since then it works. Spent the whole weekend for that error message. :mad:

I am happy now, :D Again thanks to all . . .

Advertisement