Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Help with Hyundai Accent heater

Options
  • 09-01-2006 9:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭

Problem with my Hyundai Accent - the heater isn't working, and I need it for defrosting and to pass my MOT test. My heater core is getting hot, I can feel the drivers side of the box is quite hot, and the passengers side is warm. (This is a RHD car). Also - I'm just assuming this big black box is the heater core, however there are probably more parts inside, I just don't know how to *get* inside this black box.
    On the drivers side I see where the air mix rod and the temp. rod go into the heater, and they are all functioning fine. The heater core is getting hot, so at least that's something - but this hot air isn't coming out the vents, the air coming out the vents is cold. So - would I be right in assuming something, somewhere is clogged?
    Somebody suggested blowing compressed air into the heater core - if the heater core is getting hot, should I still try this method? If so, how do I blow hot air inside -do I have to disasemble the dash to gain access to the heater core or can I do by taking off a part in the foot wells of the driver/passenger side?
    I've also noticed on the passenger side there is a vent coming out of the heater core which is quite large, I'm guessing this may be the blower motor...? Maybe I'm wrong, just a guess -but this section of the pipe is cold.
    Any ideas on where the problem is, and how would I pump some compressed air into the heater core?
    Also - compressed air... I have compressed air for cleaning cameras (and PC's), however the flow is pityful - where can I get sufficient flow - would a garages tyre air hose do? I'm sure they won't appreciate me using it for this purpose, but "tough sh*t paddy". :D
    Any help with this matter would be much much appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

You might need to flush out the cooling system, if there was a leak in it previously someone may have put leak sealant in the system and it may be blocked or it may be blocked due to ware and tear. I'd be slow to use air as the pressure may be a bit to high and cause damage to the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭cianclarke

Ooh, a reply already, hehe... I probably wouldn't have the tools / the know how to do this myself, but would any garage have the gear to fix this sort of thing or would it have to be a dealer?
    Any idea how much they'd screw me for? (Student, can't really afford these things - insurance was bad enough!!)
    Many many thanks for the reply.

No problem, it makes a change to get thanked for advice. Any garage should be able to sort out the problem or anyone handy with cars for that matter. I'd say around 100 euros including coolant should sort it depending on what part of the country your in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭cianclarke

Waterford - We're neighbours! There should be a few places local that are handy enough, just last time I left the car into a garage it was firstly broken into and stereo robbed, dore prized open and secondly the garageman then decided not to show up for over a week with my car locked in the compound!
    I'll try choose somebody more reputable this time, thanks for the help.

Any garage thats doing a brisk trade will sort it for you in a few hours. I'd say a middle of the road garage, not too cheap and not too expensive. Good luck with it anyway, you'd need a heater this time of year anyway.:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement