Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving a pillar, PP needed ?

Options
  • 09-01-2006 10:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

Does anyone know if planning is required to widen a gate by about 1.5 feet ?
    The driveway is a standard size onto footpath in a semi d estate. I want to get the drive cobblelocked and gates put on but I'm afraid the mrs will scratch the car as she already thinks it's narrow without a gate. This will involve taking down the pillar and rebuilding.

On the cobblelock, a neighbour got these guys to do theirs, looks a good job, approx 2,500 euro. It's a sloping drive. They took up some of the old concrete drive at the bottom of the driveway but left some of the old concrete at the top of the driveway and levelled off so the subbase so that the drive is slighly steeper than it was. In other words for part of the driveway they used the old concrete as part of the subbase. Anyone think this strange ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi,

I'm not sure about widening the entrance gate, but if the pillar was involved in an "accident" I reckon nobody would notice the new one being moved a little.

As to fitting the cobble lock on top of part of the existing concrete I say give it a year maybe two and you will see the line where the two different bases meet.

The bricks will settle over time, that is why most of the better manufacturers and contractors recommend the existing concrete is removed.

Advertisement