Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flight Sim please

Options
  • 09-01-2006 10:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭

So, Im getting a game for my father. He likes flight sims, and having absolutely no interest in the genre I'd like some reccomendations please. He rarely plays, he might play for an hour or two every couple of weeks, thats about it. So it needs to have a "pick up and play" capacity. Preferably WW2 era, but I'll consider anything.

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

unless your looking specifically for a combat one, the new microsoft flight simulator x should be out soon enough

• Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭Elessar

heggie wrote:
    unless your looking specifically for a combat one, the new microsoft flight simulator x should be out soon enough

Winter 2006, to be precise.

OP, try IL2 sturmovik/forgotten battles.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

Elessar wrote:
    ...OP, try IL2 sturmovik/forgotten battles.

Quite hard though. But its probably the best of the recent WWII. Theres Battle of Britain II but thats a bit buggy. Theres Microsoft Combat Flight Sim 3. But its not very popular. An easier combat sim would be Wings Over Vietnam. I like that for a quick blast. Not WW2 though. Vietnam (obviously) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

You'll pick up il2 sturmovik and most of its succesors quite cheaply, pacific fighters being the latest. They're the only choice for world war 2 sims IMHO

but bear in mind you're gonna need a joystick, preferably a HOTAS

:v: < and be careful what you bind the feckin eject button to!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

IL2. It has aids and things and difficulty sliders, so it should fit to anyone's ability.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

If he wants a ww2 combat game then the only real option is IL2 Sturmovik with it's addon exp packs. The game to be honest is pretty souless but if you really want realism then it's the only game to look at. Your dad will need a nice joystick and be prepared to stall and crash for more or less ages, the game has a steep enough learning curve.

On saying that tho it's an absolutely fantastic multiplayer game if ye guys have two pcs.

If you want modern combat I'd also recommend Lock On, terrible learning curve again (trying to remember the ranges of weapons and buttons to activate and modify them made me cry) but not a bad modern jet combat sim once you're up to speed.

Microsoft combat flight simulator is also there but I never played these games so can't advise on them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I'd suggest Lock On aswell if modern planes are acceptable. As Canis Lupis says the learning curve regarding the amount of controls/buttons to learn and the complexity of the radar and weapons systems is steep, but the tutorials are good and after half an hour or so of them it's easily possible to jump into quick missions using guns, heat seeking missiles and gravity bombs.

stevenmu wrote:
    after half an hour or so of them it's easily possible to jump into quick missions using guns, heat seeking missiles and gravity bombs.

In the Warthog yeah, jets cracked me up trying to remember all the radar modes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

Elessar wrote:
    Winter 2006, to be precise.

OP, try IL2 sturmovik/forgotten battles.

damn your rite, previews of it all over the place, thought it was sooner :(

Only problem with Lock On is it needs a very powerful PC to run it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

Aye, I'll throw lock on in there too if he's into newer jets.

Il-2/FB otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Sturmovik it is. Thank you all.

Zillah wrote:
    Sturmovik it is. Thank you all.

Get the expansion packs, very very important imo.

Theres a load of patches too.

Advertisement