Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Music Taste/Jim Carroll/Ragamuffin/Sell Out etc Thread

Options
  • 29-11-2005 12:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

The debate about music and fascism and all that stuff is very interesting and maybe even valid but is sort of seperate from the Zed FM thread which is more about legal updates on the Supreme Court action so Ive divided them up. Hope thats ok with everyone.

Regards,

Pete Reed
    reed@phantomfm.com
    www.phantomfm.com

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭SimonMaher

Nice bit in Jim Carroll's column in the Ticket today. He's doing his predictions for the year:

"Geldof launches new campaign": Following the failure of his appeal to the United Nations to get a Dublin radio licence on the grounds that he was a saint and other stuff, Bob Geldof has launched Make Phantom History.

"I think Dublin need a station that plays classic alternative greats like "I Don't Like Mondays", "Rat Trap" and songs from my solo albums that no-one baought, rather than the tripe we can expect from that lot", commented Geldof. He hopes to hold a Make Phantom History benefit gig in the coming months. "Of course I'll be fooking playing", he said when asked about the line-up, before talking about "interest" in the gig from Midge Ure, Status Quo and one of The Proclaimers."

Regards,

Pete Reed
    reed@phantomfm.com
    www.phantomfm.com

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Rockiemalt

hehehe :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 orinocho17

errr .. bob geldof first he trys to steal me marker in town when i was gona tag sumthing now this ..!!

if he dies does his station die umm.... :v:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭scarfacemj

:D hehe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Raggamuffin

It's really funny you should quote jim carroll now because as i seem to remeber him, at leas over th past few years, he has little time for phantom and the likely direction it seems to be going.

Anyway even if Zed had gotten the license whats so great now? the pirate stations are gone and the bands are still dreadful... although it is nice to cash in slightly on all of this.

Pity though you don't quote him then or offer him a radio slot in the morning he has good taste.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭windowcleaner

It's really funny you should quote jim carroll now because as i seem to remeber him, at leas over th past few years, he has little time for phantom and the likely direction it seems to be going.

Anyway even if Zed had gotten the license whats so great now? the pirate stations are gone and the bands are still dreadful... although it is nice to cash in slightly on all of this.

Pity though you don't quote him then or offer him a radio slot in the morning he has good taste.

that doesnt seem right - carroll used to be on various Newstalk shows praising Phantom to the hilt when the whole licence thing was going on.

dont know if he would be good on radio - he talks to frigging fast!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Smurfpiss wrote:
    You hook me up with a broadband connection and a laptop for my squalid house then will ya?!

library/school/college my friend :)

that doesnt seem right - carroll used to be on various Newstalk shows praising Phantom to the hilt when the whole licence thing was going on.

Welcome to Phantoms messageboard WindowCleaner. And how could you get in the way of Ragamuffins slagging off of all things Phantom! You'll soon learn that it happens every couple of months, we're used to it by now and are as always delighted to give anyone space to air their views ;)

Regards,

Pete Reed
    reed@phantomfm.com
    www.phantomfm.com

again never address any issues i raise always partonising... how original...

anyway form what i've read jim carroll seems to have more of a problem with the BCI than phantom. I mean seriously i had a decent phantomfm for like 2 or 3 years after the first license application i believe it just got boring.

Anyways i don't really think it's going to change much... I mean the morning show on phantom was always a refreshing change but like i'm just saying that selectively quoting jim carroll is a bit much...

Anyway if you'd like to come into my raido show and discuss phantom i'd be happy to debate the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

orlyowl1sc.jpg

• Advertisement

again never address any issues i raise always partonising... how original...

anyway form what i've read jim carroll seems to have more of a problem with the BCI than phantom. I mean seriously i had a decent phantomfm for like 2 or 3 years after the first license application i believe it just got boring.

Anyways i don't really think it's going to change much... I mean the morning show on phantom was always a refreshing change but like i'm just saying that selectively quoting jim carroll is a bit much...

Anyway if you'd like to come into my raido show and discuss phantom i'd be happy to debate the issue.

Ragga, your "issues" dont get discussed because you dont actually raise any issues, you just give out about us.

Id be happy to come on your radio show and debate "the issue". I just dont know quite what the issue is? If its just that you dont like Phantom then thats a bit pointless but if you have issues you would actually like to discuss then I would be happy to debate them with you of course.

Regards,

Pete Reed
    reed@phantomfm.com
    www.phantomfm.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Projectmayhem and Smurfpiss, please continue your bitch fight over the whole access to internet thing in Boston. I'm really enjoying it... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Torque

Wouldn't that be a horrific waste of your time Pete?

It would be more cost effective for him to ring you up and "debate" the issue with you as, correct me if I'm wrong, but I doubt anyone listens to his "radio show".

Raggamuffin seems to be of the opinion that he's crusading for the radio listeners of Dublin. He has these ideas of what Phantom FM should be, yet when questioned on them he cannot put into words what it is that he wants from the station. All he seems to know is that Phantom Fm isn't meeting his own personal standards.

He seems to be reminiscing about what he perceives to be "the good ole days" of Phantom FM, however he's not being realistic about the whole thing. People change (Except it seems for Raggamuffin) Phantom's listeners from back then have, for the most part, changed. Music is more accessible now, there is greater competition for listeners. Phantom can't run camp for music NAZIs such as himself as it wouldn't be worth their while, they'd alienate people and frankly I'd rather have to listen to bands that were (God forbid) considered more mainstream, if it meant I also get to hear more obscure, or independent music etc.

Now I haven't had my post work pint yet, so my thoughts aren't as clearly put as I'd like, but I'd rather not have people like Raggmuffin trying to dictate what people like those involved with Phantom FM do, or don't do. He has so far failed to contribute anything constructive to the thread and from a search of previous posts and the comments from Pete Reed it seems that this is not rare.

It seems to me that there is a feeling of sour grapes here? Perhaps he was turned down for a job on a radio show that has a listenership greater than his mammy?

Who knows?

Anyway, pub time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Smurfpiss

Dudess wrote:
    Projectmayhem and Smurfpiss, please continue your bitch fight over the whole access to internet thing in Boston. I'm really enjoying it... :D
    gladly!
    Projectmayhem: your mother was a hamster and your father smelled of elderberries!
    ah no not really.
    I'd love to listen online (regularly) but its just not possible my friend...and also not the same.
    Heh, Raggamuffin and his "show". I am in awe sir.
    :eek: <--- even more awe than this smiley can demonstrate. That, I am sure you will agree, is a big load of awe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Smurfpiss wrote:
    Heh, Raggamuffin and his "show". I am in awe sir.
    :eek: <--- even more awe than this smiley can demonstrate. That, I am sure you will agree, is a big load of awe.

Agreed. But I'm no longer interested in your spat with Projectmayhem. This Raggamuffin v everyone "debate" is far more juicy...

Raggamuffin, I received your PM and have duly replied, yet I wonder why you chose to delete your original reply and choose a more covert avenue.

I'd take issue with the following statement you made:

"Now as for music nazis... a bit rash surely you must realise some people hve
    better taste in music than others and are less likely to be self indulgent.

I prefer doing local radio a i feel there is more room to fully express yourself
    a no room given to pr companies and record companies trying to push bands down your throat."

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but does that not sound like someone who is being self indulgent?

Who are you to say that one person's music taste is somehow "better" than someone elses? What makes your taste in music better than mine for example?

You list music you've played recently, and you say that you don't play Irish music because it is (in your opinion) ****. That sounds to be me like self indulgence. At least if you're going to contradict yourself try not to do it in the very next paragraph!

You come accross as a pretentious little music nazi, so forgive me for assuming that you are one.

Raggamuffin, I don't know what it is you're attempting to prove with your list of bands/artists. Do you want someone to give you a slap on the back and say "Yeah, you go girl. Your music taste is better than their's therefore you are now qualified to be an authority on the whole thing" That's not going to happen. Well, I'm sure your mam tells you this, but then what are mums for? Music taste is subjective, the very fact that you appear to rate people on their own personal taste in music is the sign of a music NAZI.

I'm disappointed Raggamuffin, at least if you're going to enter into a debate have the decency not to abandon it, or use PMs to continue it.

You've been posting the same tripe for over 3 years now Raggamuffin, you'd think that you'd at least have been able to improve your usual trite arguments somewhat in that time. Frankly it upsets me to think that you're still going around with that enormous chip on your shoulder.

I don't know if you're allowed to quote something that is'nt posted.

So therefore i have no idea what you're going on about.

thank you and in the words of ignatius... "for the sake of humanity, i hope you're sterile"

I don't know if you're allowed to quote something that is'nt posted.

So therefore i have no idea what you're going on about.

Now theres a cop out! Shame too Ragamuffin, you nearly got as far as actually debating the "issues". If we're willing to debate on the public forum of your radio show then surely you should be willing to debate here? Ah well.

Regards,

Pete Reed
    www.phantomfm.com
    reed@phantomfm.com

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Rockiemalt

when and where is raggamuffins infamous show?

Raggamuffin, as a moderator Pete Reed can also see all of your deleted posts. Anyone who is subscribed to this thread will receive your replies to their inbox. This isn't the first time you've deleted replies to a thread.

Once again you abandon a thread after making several accusations, and complaints about people's unwillingness to debate. You've PMed me stating your willingness to debate the "issues" yet you have not replied to my response.

As I said you're either unwilling, or unable to debate the "issues".

Now, I'm fairly sure that you've just wasted my time with all of this, but I would hope that maybe next time you decide to grace us with your presence you'll have the foresight to actually have a constructive argument, maybe you'll surprise us all and (shock! horror!) back up one of your points!

Pete Reed would not have split this portion of the application process thread if he were unwilling to debate the issues, or see some discussion. You've just shown yourself up considerably. It's a pity, because in spite of your tantrum he was actually willing to humour you. However once again when put under pressure Raggamuffin heads for the hills.

I would hate to think that you are a university student Raggamuffin, particularly if your course involves essay writing, as you appear to be incapable of structuring an argument and backing up your statements with anything other than speculation and hearsay.

• Advertisement

I am unwilling to be coaxed into an argument that i am not interested in.

I delete my posts and they have been deleted on me in the past. This is my choice and i don't see why this bothers you so much.

I don't know if you yourself realise that university education has nothing to do with debates on message boards on the internet. If i want to reserve the best part of my intellect for discussions with people of worththen thats my choice.

Oh yeah the debating... i would debate the issue with you but i've decided i'm not interested in asking you into the studio. I wanted to put together a show but i have sent a pm to simon and hopefully a good show can come out of it.

I'm sure we'll need opinions on whatever issues we decide to discuss so i'll get in touch ok.

I think you're taking all this far too seriously i mean simon is fair enough most of the time and although he patronises etc. i mean it's his job after all i never expect him to agree even if i am completely right. (<--- jut realised this sounds like i said that "I" am completely right... i meant to mean it in the possiblities of any future discussions)

Anyway... rockiemalt the show should be changing times next week due to a change in time for a class in college so it's thie wednesday 96fm 7pm - 8pm

I should have some new stuff this week... um yeah and i know i'm defunately playing some "trail of dead" and "the contours" two songs i've been listening to this week.

Hey if you have any suggestions pm me and i'll check them out.

I am unwilling to be coaxed into an argument that i am not interested in.

I delete my posts and they have been deleted on me in the past. This is my choice and i don't see why this bothers you so much.

I don't know if you yourself realise that university education has nothing to do with debates on message boards on the internet. If i want to reserve the best part of my intellect for discussions with people of worththen thats my choice.

Oh yeah the debating... i would debate the issue with you but i've decided i'm not interested in asking you into the studio. I wanted to put together a show but i have sent a pm to simon and hopefully a good show can come out of it.

I'm sure we'll need opinions on whatever issues we decide to discuss so i'll get in touch ok.

I think you're taking all this far too seriously i mean simon is fair enough most of the time and although he patronises etc. i mean it's his job after all i never expect him to agree even if i am completely right. (<--- jut realised this sounds like i said that "I" am completely right... i meant to mean it in the possiblities of any future discussions)

Anyway... rockiemalt the show should be changing times next week due to a change in time for a class in college so it's thie wednesday 96fm 7pm - 8pm

I should have some new stuff this week... um yeah and i know i'm defunately playing some "trail of dead" and "the contours" two songs i've been listening to this week.

Hey if you have any suggestions pm me and i'll check them out.

I hope you're not aiming for a career in politics at any stage Raggamuffin.

I'm not getting worked up about this at all. In fact I'm the epitome of calm at the moment. I’m enjoying the thoughts of you sitting there wondering how best to show off your “superiority”.

Your above post demonstrates perfectly the pretension you claim you don't exude. “Save the best of your intellect”? Give me a break. Demonstrating the ability to discuss something properly is nothing to be ashamed of. Claiming I, or the other readers/contributors to this forum are not “people of worth” is hardly the best tack to use when trying to get your message across while claiming you’re “all about the music”. You use your “show” as a stick to beat people with; it’s a pity that this is your only tool of debate as it really is quite poor and it shows up your lack of competence in a discussion.

Perhaps if I list my musical tastes you’ll feel happier about discussing the “issues”?

You claim that you’d be wasting your intellect on this forum, yet you feel the need to use the perceived safety of the studio, where presumably you “run the show”, to debate. Seems quite cowardly to me. I’m not sure why you think that “debating” issues with him on air will further your cause? It seems to be like you’d be just as inept there as in any other media.

However your consistent desire to avoid discussion on this forum (Why you choose to post here at all when clearly you feel we are beneath you, is beyond me.) illustrates clearly that you are aware of your ineptitude and are afraid to demonstrate this fact to a greater audience than would be willing, or able to witness it on your show (Should Simon decide to indulge you further and attend of course.)

It’s quite amusing to see you attempt to pimp your show here, while demonstrating further how you indulge yourself with your choice of music content, This is clearly also an attempt to show us all what a superior being you are with your wonderful taste in music.

Self promotion anyone?

Hypocrisy anyone?

I've quoted your post in case you decide to further edit, or delete it later.

Advertisement