Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your CAO Choices

• 10-01-2006 12:25am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭

What are your CAO Choices? Are you doing it online? or Posting?

I still have a few questions to ask my Careers Teacher about courses so my list isn't final, however my first 3 choices are the same course but just in different colleges.

I'll be doing the CAO online though, far quicker and less chance of it getting messed up.

How about the rest of you?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

I'm doing it online as it nearly doesn't actually let you make mistakes and I don't want to fill in a form by hand and all that stuff.

Does your list need to be final? Surely you can fouster with it to your hearts content until a certain date?

To the best of my knowldege the form isn't set in stone the minute you click the button.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

never trusted the online system as my brother done it there once and he got the confirmation number they gave him.

when he rang up to confirm they had no record of his application.

it just put me off doing mine online so i sent it in by post, also gives you a chance to bribe them :p (joke)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭CrimE

Almost definite on what im going to do have my first 4 choices picked...all engineering in UCD :)

Im doing mine online, thats what ive been told is best. Quicker and more reliable apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

Yeah I'm in the exact same position as CrimE, my first 4 choices are practically the same course. I know what I wanna do..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

Just a pointer:
    If you don't know what you want to do, i'd advise putting down a general degree.

I'm only really realising what i want to do now....in January....a year after applying for the course. If you are genuinely interested in something, put it down. It sounds stupid, but i put a course i thought i'd like (and thought sounded good and smart) to do down first, thinking i'd be good at it.I'm not good at it.So i changed. Didn't like that either. So now it's January and i'm only going to be starting the course i should have been doing from the start.

Also, even if you are a A++ student, disregard the amount of points a course is when thinking about its difficulty. A 300 point course can easily be as difficult as a 550 point course. I was told this a million times before doing my CAO and i never really listened and i'm only really realising all of it now.

All that said, at the end of the day, once you do a good Leaving Cert, you can switch around courses with ease. All you need it the points.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Same as CrimE and Shrimp, a few different physics courses arcoss UCD and DCU

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭ed6hellsfresh

yeh i agree with timay too defo put down a general degree.
    However id say if u dont really know what u wanna do u should make it a matter of priority to look into it and find out what courses you wanna do, and importantly are there jobs in that area and will you like them.
    Choosing a course to aim for gives you extra drive and motivation to do well and puts a kinda purpose to doing the leaving.

No point in getting a whole loada points and puttin down any old course in a rush, u prob wont like it. so get lookin through prospectuses and start makin choices!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭iloveireland

what newspaper is givin out the points from last years courrses and when is it comming out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

what newspaper is givin out the points from last years courrses and when is it comming out.
    You can get the CAO points from last year and previous years online at the CAO website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Le Rack

science - trinity
    science - ucd
    eng lit + art history and archtecture - trin
    eng lit + philosophy - trin

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭abercrombie

i'm doing mine online on tues...and grimloch yes you can change your courses after you submit them...i'm not sure until when though

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭caesar

Afaik you can change up until after your exams but I'm not sure of the exact date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Dagnir Glaurung

i'm doing mine online on tues...and grimloch yes you can change your courses after you submit them...i'm not sure until when though

I'm pretty certain it's the 1st July.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Pitseleh

Is the on-line working for anyone yet? The page just keeps coming up with 29>0 (which is obvious anyway) but you're able to apply as Gaeilge by the looks of things. What's up wi' that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭cianclarke

Did it online, filled and all... First few choices were:
    Computer science - Trinity
    Computer Applications - DCU
    Computer Science - UCC
    After that it's a random selection of law degrees (pointless considering higher points than CS but ahwell!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

do it online...far less likely to make mistakes..

just remember dont be freaking out about what u gona do and what order u want to do it in...most important thing is u have an application actually in...u have 5months to be deciding everything..the main date ye'all have to rememeber is the change of mind date..july 1st is it?
    The list i submited for feb 1st was nothing like my change of mind form..

best of luck!
    f~m

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Little Miss...

AAAAAAhhhhhhhhhh.... i don't really know what i wanna do ...sigh! Someone choose something for me!!! Ah gonna put in anything...can change mind up till July sure! and gonna do it online anyway...less chance of mistakes etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

Tell you what little miss.. make these ur first 3 choices

Science - Aquatic << In other words... Fish-Farming! ;)
    Furniture Production & Technology
    Forestry

Do it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

cianclarke wrote:
    Computer Science - UCC
    After that it's a random selection of law degrees (pointless considering higher points than CS but ahwell!)
    you should stick down Computer Science in DIT aswell, it's up there with DCU as one of the better courses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

cianclarke wrote:
    Computer Science - UCC
    The games programming degree in carlow looks decent as well, was talking to the guy at their open day and he said you learn as much as in any programming degree, just through the medium of games.

Just filled mine in, felt fething weird. Still can't believe I'll be in college in september =/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭mel(",)

first choice is event management in d.i.t
    second prob will be radio and broadcasting or something along those lines

its mad 2 think that i'll be in college in september...kinda scary

i'm thinking about journalism now....anyone thinking of doing this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭cianclarke

Cremo wrote:
    you should stick down Computer Science in DIT aswell, it's up there with DCU as one of the better courses.
    I'm fairly set on TCD and DCU, DIT never really appealed to me - I like the idea of just the one campus to be honest.
    Raphael wrote:
    The games programming degree in carlow looks decent as well, was talking to the guy at their open day and he said you learn as much as in any programming degree, just through the medium of games.

Just filled mine in, felt fething weird. Still can't believe I'll be in college in september =/
    Yeah, never really had any interest in gaming though...
    Was at one stage, then I got realistic and realized that I'd have a bitch of a time getting a job, and might end up with a degree for nothing. Maybe something I'd try and do after Uni'....
    (To be fair maybe I got a little too realistic, hehe... Still fourth or fifth on my choices actually)

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭caesar

I don't think that I would like it tbh but the points for it are lower than any of the Law degrees*. Is it just me or are you constantly changing your mind :p

* level 8 courses

caesar wrote:
    Is it just me or are you constantly changing your mind :p

nah i'm actually still thinking of doing law...it's my first choice...but i've to think of other things to do if i dont get my first choice...!! stupid CAO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

im doing mine online-easier, cheaper, less chance of messing it up!

i think ive got most of my courses chosen but gotta have a chat with my careers teacher on tuesday and then thats it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭iloveireland

when does the cao have to be in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

1st of Feb i believe..??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Le Rack

well before the 1st but yeah

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭d4gurl

Ive already posted my choice on some other thread! I just want to go through them with my guidance councillor! first two are pharmacy. But then you see I don't know whether to put down two law degrees or two science degrees before that. Because say if I don't get my points but I do Science I can always do Law postgrad after because id hav more knowlede and be more mature to do law by then. But what if I get the points for Law but hav Science down as number two and den suddenly I want to do Law cuz i got d points? Did that make sense?? I think the CAO is fair it makes sense I just wish that if you got the points you could pick whichever course your heart desired! Please give me your two cents!cheers :D

Advertisement