Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your CAO Choices

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

it all depends which you want more-if you want law put it down regardless of points. its a fair enough system-dream courses just in case, reality courses then fall backs. at least youre pretty much guaranteed something. I wish you could get more than one offer as ya say though, its almost too fair!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Raphael wrote:
    The games programming degree in carlow looks decent as well, was talking to the guy at their open day and he said you learn as much as in any programming degree, just through the medium of games.

Computer games tech in UL either...

Comp Sys should really be considered with the TCD, DCU courses tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Psychedelik

Yes, moving on from the "random merged weekend" ... the slightly more important (and relevant) CAO form :rolleyes: . We are in Leaving Cert. after all!

I'm considering law courses at the moment and the points for those are fairly high. Anyone have any views on the courses offered at various universities? Anyone in these courses, do you have opinions on them?

I'm curious about Business and Legal Studies at UCD - seems like a nice combination.

It's mostly law that will be on my CAO preferences, and also Arts. Now, what order...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭Pez

im putting computer applications - DCU as my first choice and then prob midwifery in trinity lol i dont know what else to put! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

When does it have to be in? (i wanna apply online)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭Pez

1st of feb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Dagnir Glaurung

I'm considering law courses at the moment and the points for those are fairly high. Anyone have any views on the courses offered at various universities? Anyone in these courses, do you have opinions on them?

I'm curious about Business and Legal Studies at UCD - seems like a nice combination.

It's mostly law that will be on my CAO preferences, and also Arts. Now, what order...

I put down mainly law courses :) If you're worried about points, the law courses in Limerick and Galway are lower in points ~470 I think. There is also Economic, Politics and Law in DCU which gives you enough to sit the Law Library entrance exams but not the Kings Inns exams so you can't become a barrister unless you go on to another course.
    The UCD Law guy at Higher Options also told me that he expects the three new law courses UCD have to push up the points for law. So that's bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Sisu

Economic, Politics and Law in DCU which gives you enough to sit the Law Library entrance exams but not the Kings Inns exams so you can't become a barrister unless you go on to another course.
    Maybe you know this already, but in case you don't: you can sit the entrance exams to train to be a solicitor after any degree - it doesn't have to be related to law at all (though you'd have to study for them on your own). There's a list of the law degrees which allow you to sit the entrance exam to become a barrister here and if you don't have one of these, you have to do the King's Inns' 2 year diploma course first, which costs €10,000.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Dagnir Glaurung

Sisu wrote:
    Maybe you know this already, but in case you don't: you can sit the entrance exams to train to be a solicitor after any degree - it doesn't have to be related to law at all (though you'd have to study for them on your own). There's a list of the law degrees which allow you to sit the entrance exam to become a barrister here and if you don't have one of these, you have to do the King's Inns' 2 year diploma course first, which costs €10,000.

I'm aware of that :) I meant that it gives you enough information to be able to pass the exams, or so I've been told. But thanks for straightening it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Rockerette

do it online, its €10 cheaper!

Journalism in DCU is my first choice..
    aand um....
    mulitimedia or communications in DCU 2nd/3rd maybe... and Media arts in DIT.. and English, Media & Cultural studies in Dun Laoghaire IADT... And Arts in Galway...

but im really hopin for Journo!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭tripper

Oh **** i havent even looked at a cao from yet, better try to get **** together

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Rockerette

i went to fill it in today online, only the internet in school was broken... hhhhmmmm tomorrow is the day so...

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭caesar

God I don't have a clue what I'm going to do, I had planned on doing Construction management and engineering in UL but now I don't relly have a clue. There are loads of courses out there aswell but I can't even seem to pick one. I'm thinking of talking a year out. I'm 16 at the moment and I would be 17 going into college(if I was to go this year) so talking a year out doesn't seem like a bad idea. I'll fill up my cao anyway. Anyone else thinking of talking a year out?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

I dont wanna take a year out, I wanna get straight into my course if I get it, cos I'm gonna love it. It's exactly down my alley.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭caesar

Shrimp wrote:
    I dont wanna take a year out, I wanna get straight into my course if I get it, cos I'm gonna love it. It's exactly down my alley.
    Good for you! I know what I'm interested in but no course seems to tend to my needs. Maybe they should put together a special course for me :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

d4gurl wrote:
    Ive already posted my choice on some other thread! I just want to go through them with my guidance councillor! first two are pharmacy. But then you see I don't know whether to put down two law degrees or two science degrees before that. Because say if I don't get my points but I do Science I can always do Law postgrad after because id hav more knowlede and be more mature to do law by then. But what if I get the points for Law but hav Science down as number two and den suddenly I want to do Law cuz i got d points? Did that make sense?? I think the CAO is fair it makes sense I just wish that if you got the points you could pick whichever course your heart desired! Please give me your two cents!cheers :D

same here.....Really looking forward to get a place in RCSI for pharmacy.....:p but still havent apply my CAO choices........gonna do it this week......
    wats ur final decision??any news?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭d4gurl

I'm going to have a chat with the old guidance councillor tomorrow! RCSI is so much friendlier than trinity isnt it? I mean at their open day, they were just so friendly! I suppose Trinners had to many students! What are you putting down other than pharmcay?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Vis comm Dun L is gonna be cool. Here's hoping for the portfolio.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

caesar wrote:
    God I don't have a clue what I'm going to do, I had planned on doing Construction management and engineering in UL but now I don't relly have a clue. There are loads of courses out there aswell but I can't even seem to pick one. I'm thinking of talking a year out. I'm 16 at the moment and I would be 17 going into college(if I was to go this year) so talking a year out doesn't seem like a bad idea. I'll fill up my cao anyway. Anyone else thinking of talking a year out?
    A year out does sound like a good idea for you... Work, get some money together for college, sort out what you want to do and be old enough to drink legally when you start college :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

Daddio wrote:
    Vis comm Dun L is gonna be cool. Here's hoping for the portfolio.
    Thats what i wanna do, you gonna apply for DIT and NCAD? hows your portfolio coming along?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

d4gurl wrote:
    I'm going to have a chat with the old guidance councillor tomorrow! RCSI is so much friendlier than trinity isnt it? I mean at their open day, they were just so friendly! I suppose Trinners had to many students! What are you putting down other than pharmcay?

I know we've spoken about it before but I'm in 2nd Pharmacy in RCSI now and I'd still really recommend it! In the middle of exams at the minute so slightly stressed, but I'm still thrilled I picked RCSI over Trinity, just a newer more up to date course and the majority of the lecturers are helpful and approachable. Anyway as I said before if anyone has any questions about RCSI in general or Pharmacy you can pm me!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

d4gurl wrote:

^^since i m really love my maths sub ^^i gonna put MSISS of trinity in my CAO(i actually want to do Financial Actuary......feel so hopeless for that since my maximum points in LC will be 560T_T).of course ,the bottom sub will be General Science sub^^just in case...................

anyway...still havent decide other subs to put in there.....

Advertisement