Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving house... Broadband options???

• 10-01-2006 12:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭

I'm moving house in the next month or so to a rural ;) location in Co. Kildare. I know the area does not have either Eircom or EsatBT BroadBand.

I really need BroadBand to work from home and I was wondering what my options are after I move house. I know there are a few stickies on Boards discussing this but to be honest I didnt find what I was looking for after reading them all fairly carefully.

Will it be possible for me to get some sort of wireless BroadBand (I have heard of "IrishBroadband") or do I have any other options open to me?

Any comments/suggestions welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

Gandalf23 wrote:
    I'm moving house in the next month or so to a rural ;) location in Co. Kildare. I know the area does not have either Eircom or EsatBT BroadBand.

I really need BroadBand to work from home and I was wondering what my options are after I move house. I know there are a few stickies on Boards discussing this but to be honest I didnt find what I was looking for after reading them all fairly carefully.

Will it be possible for me to get some sort of wireless BroadBand (I have heard of "IrishBroadband") or do I have any other options open to me?

Any comments/suggestions welcome.

Dont know where your moving to, try
    http://www1.alternative-broadband.com/
    http://www.icecomms.net/index.htm

jbkenn
    Google is you friend :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Gandalf23

Narraghmore County Kildare

Its about 7 miles south of Kilcullen

How do I find out if any of the alternative BB providers in the links above provide to Narraghmore?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

Depends entirely on the nature of the place you're moving to mate, if it's rural or built up..

As you say there's no Eircom or BT, I'm going to assume the exchange hasn't been upgraded and therefore your only option is to look into wireless or satellite broadband, however satellite broadband is ridiculously priced if you have to buy the equipment (installation €1200+ and €99+ a month for fees, add that to the fact it's crap for VOIP and online gaming and your left with a product, which in my opinion shouldn't be called broadband). Look into wireless, have a look at Digiweb, I used to have them before I moved out into the sticks, good service, excellent customer support and whatever you do, don't go anywhere near IBB, they really are that bad..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Mr_Man

Torque,

provide some coerage in Kildare and perhaps in the area you are moving to.....

HTH

M.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Gandalf23

Mr_Man wrote:
    Torque,

provide some coerage in Kildare and perhaps in the area you are moving to.....

HTH

M.

Just phoned Torque and they are hopefull I might be covered as part of thier Athy coverage... fingers crossed!!!

Anyone suggest any other BB providers I might try?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭collie1

Gandalf, I have just moved into narraghmore from clondalkin where i have had broadband for the last 3 years. I usually use it to play xbox live. anyway, torque is our best bet for broadband cause we wont be able to get dsl for at least 6 to 7 months. I have already talked to torque and they said they should be with us within the next month or so. if you are willing to pay an installation fee of 200 euro then that is our best bet. another provider is kildarebroadbandnetworks.com. installation is a bit pricey though. ITS A SMALL WORLD ISNT IT. I THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY ONE IN NARRAGHMORE WHO KNEW WHAT BROADBAND WAS:D :o

PS

if you have xbox live, thats my gametag as well;)

plus we have an 059 number. so dont be talking about kilcullen, try athy when you are inquiring about broadband, even though we are nearer to kilcullen then athy

Advertisement