Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BIG PROBLEM - Laptop is sending out spam

• 10-01-2006 1:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭

Hello,

I've been trying to fix my girlfriends laptop for the last 24 hours and I think I'm going mad...

I can see her laptop is sending out spam (tons of Norton scan-each-email windows are poping up over the system tray.)

I've done a full Norton 2006 scan.
    I've done a full Adaware scan.
    I've done a full Spybot scan.
    I've done a full ewido anti-malware scan.
    I've done a full CleanUp.
    I've uninstalled anything which looks funny.

Nothing I am doing will fix this problem.

Surely there is a simple way to block all outgoing e-mail?? (she only uses hotmail.)

Or is there another way I can stop this spam from happening? Agh. Nightmare!!!

Thanks for any help...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Install a firewall and block outgoing emails. Get rid of outlook/express preferably. Install and update AVG (Sorry for the cliched Boards.ie response; but AVG is much better given that NAV is prone to attack by some of these viruses) and run in safe mode..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭timeout

If the machine is infected you are better off running the scans from safe mode, you'd be surprised how much extra they find. press F5 on startup and select safe mode from the list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

tbh I'd just format and reinstall the OS... if it's already a spam zombie, God only knows what other kinds of crap is hiding in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Managed to sort it. What a nightmare. Had to delete loads of stuff... Had to copy across DLL files from my laptop to hers...

She's now ona strict diet of Firefox with regular software updates and scans!! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

timeout wrote:
    If the machine is infected you are better off running the scans from safe mode, you'd be surprised how much extra they find. press F5 on startup and select safe mode from the list.

F8 gets you into safe mode

• Advertisement

F8 gets you into safe mode
    Or F5 -> the specific OS version wasn't specified during the thread..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

You should also download and run HiJack this (install it to its' own folder in the C drive (or whatever letter your main drive has), then post the log to the spyware and hijack this forum on castlecops website.

Please don't select all in the log and hit the 'fix' button. You may have to wait a while for the response from castlecops but the response will be first class and may also help root out previously unidentified registry keys and CLSIDs.

ER... better late than never I s'pose.. but the issue's been fixed.. *shrug*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Yeah, the issues you know about are fixed but HiJack This will find things that Spybot, Adaware and anti-virus programs are not designed to find. You may still have gremlins hidden away waiting to be activated. Your choice, just offering advice to get rid of any further nasties that may be lurking. No point in fixing the major issues only and thinking everything is fine.

Fair point(s).
    It's a handy app. - although, it's better to trawl through the archives and learn.

Linkage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

Even though you have gotten it sorted, it is (as others have said) very likly that there could have been (and still could be) much worse lurking on the system such as trojans or keyloggers. You really should backup the important stuff. If you have a Rescue or Restore Disc then use that to wipe and restore the computer to its factory settings. If you dont have one of these, write down the licence keys for the software programs you have and then wipe and restore from your windows CD.

Once you have a shiney clean install, install either AVG (or my favourite, Antivir), SpyBot S&D, Zone Alarm (or Kerio Personal Firewall) and AdAware. Then go to ye olde windows update and download all the latest ones. Then you all can resume your diet of Firefox and regular system updates.

Advertisement