Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If God Had A Face...

Options
  • 10-01-2006 1:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭

what would it look like and would you wanna see?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭LovelyHurling

Seeing as how the religious texts say God made man in his own image he'd probably just look like a human. I cant see him being a cyclops or anything. But then theres the school of thinking that God is a spirit not a person, in which case there is no face...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

S/he would look like the person doing the viewing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

It'd look like Jimmy Saville..

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Seeing as how the religious texts say God made man in his own image he'd probably just look like a human.

You mean "the Judaeo-Christian texts" surely?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Moved to spirituality

• Advertisement

bonkey wrote:

Well yes, and islam. Most people referring to "God" are referring to one of these three monotheic religions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭archdukefranz

bonkey wrote:
    all the monothiestic religions have God looking like a man
    The polythiestic ones have Gods looking like all sorts of things

• Registered Users Posts: 16,764 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Savman wrote:
    would you wanna see?

Not really no. be a bit on the daunting side and a little scary!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I'd definitely want to see.

In the Bible, Jesus is described as having average looks. For all we know, God looks like Rodney.

I hope you're right... Jesus God and Abraham: Rodney Del Boy and Uncle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭hairyheretic

The polythiestic ones have Gods looking like all sorts of things

Some do. Others have them looking like men and women. The european ones tended towards men and women. I think the ones with other attrributes are from a bit further off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

and if God had a name, what would it be? And would you call it to his face?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭the real ramon

If the Judeo-Christians are right his name would be Yahweh or Jehovah, If the Muslims are right his name would be Allah. If anyone else is right there would be lots of them with lots of names. Doubt anyones right though, at least not to much of an extent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭twentycentshift

the face would be whatever you like

and the name? words don't matter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Demetrius

Savman wrote:

Good teeth, nice smell, a class act all the way.

what if god was one of us?

:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Savman wrote:
    It's all in the bible.
    'I shall make all my goodness pass before you, and before you I shall pronounce the name Yahweh, but my face you cannot see. For no human can see me and survive.'

Im just wondering, whose DNA did Jesus have? Not the DNA of God, surely? Cos then his face would be the face of God. And he couldnt have had Mary and Joseph's DNA or that would mean they really were horny sex maniacs who couldnt wait til the wedding night... so where did he get the DNA from? If he was mortal and made human he had to have had DNA

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

God made some new DNA?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 sweety4uall

would like him to look like johny depp,and would definitely like to c him.but wouldnt b able to have my wicked way with him.so better for me if he looked like woody allen.lol.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭twentycentshift

It's all in the bible.

only if you believe that stuff.

sounds kinda like madusa......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭White Knight

the face would be plain imo ... no distinctive features .. would blend in a crowd and not be noticed ...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

only if you believe that stuff.

sounds kinda like madusa......
    eh... it doesn't matter if you believe in the bible or god. The question is like asking what is the name of the submarine captain and what does his face look like in Tom Clancy's Hunt for Red October. To answer that question I'd have to go and look in the book, it doesn't mean I have believe the Hunt for Red October actually happened though.

The Bible is pretty much the official reference material for the God that is being asked about, that is Yahweh or as it later became Jehovah.

Moses wasn't even able to see Yahweh's face, but he did let him see the back of his head.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Dagon

The face is in front of you every day... can you not see it?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Savman wrote:
    I wouldn't think God would have a face as such, why would God need eyes, ears, nose, mouth etc. If God chose to show himself (or herself) to someone, then I'd presume he'd choose a face that would be appropriate for the person involved. For many, that'd be an old wise looking white guy with long white hair and beard. For others it'd be Morgan Freeman.
    Savman wrote:
    what if god was one of us?
    Or better yet, what if we're all God ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

savman wrote:
    If God Had A Face...what would it look like and would you wanna see?

"What if God was one us, dum dum dum, just a slob like one of us, dum dum dee, just a stranger on the bus, trying to make his way home ram-a-lam-a-lam-a"

Joan Osbourne - If God was one of us

God does have a name. In fact he has lots of them. Most people who feel they have a connection with God call him that name all the time. It isn't a big deal.

Seeing as God isn't a mammal or multi-orgam animal that evolved on earth, it is doubtful he would have a "face" as we know it (after all a rose doesn't have a face, neither does a single cell bateria), but if he did have a face I would love to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Suff

Well yes, and islam. Most people referring to "God" are referring to one of these three monotheic religions

Have correct you there..., Islam doesn't state that God created man based on the Divine's image.
    It's more of a One Entity or a Divine Spirit.

"Say: He is Allah, the One and Only; Allah, the Eternal, Absolute;
    He begetteth not, nor is He begotten; And there is none like unto Him
    "
    Surah 112.
    other wise that entity (GOD, Yehweh or Allah) would have to be either a he or a she! cos humans are either male or female.

Wicknight wrote:
    "What if God was one us, dum dum dum, just a slob like one of us, dum dum dee, just a stranger on the bus, trying to make his way home ram-a-lam-a-lam-a"

Joan Osbourne - If God was one of us

God does have a name. In fact he has lots of them. Most people who feel they have a connection with God call him that name all the time. It isn't a big deal.

Seeing as God isn't a mammal or multi-orgam animal that evolved on earth, it is doubtful he would have a "face" as we know it (after all a rose doesn't have a face, neither does a single cell bateria), but if he did have a face I would love to see it.

Alas! Was beginning to think God had lost his/her/its sense of humour :D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

If god had a face he'd look like chuck norris...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

CodeMonkey wrote:
    If god had a face he'd look like chuck norris...

On the seventh day God created Chuck Norris. And Chuck Norris was great, and proceeded to round house kick God in the face. And God fell down unconcious on the ground. And say Chuck Norris "He's just resting". And so it was written, the word of Norris

Advertisement