Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corrupt Downloads

• 10-01-2006 2:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭

Does anyone else have this problem?
    Everytime i down load an iso it is corrupt, i have to try get it a few times before it is ok,
    Why is this happening?
    Can i get my isp to do anything?
    Thanks,
    toil

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Is it always the same file? From the same server? Does it happen to other files,or servers?
    Clear cache. Save to another location. And use a tool that facilitates resuming downloads / check MD5 sum..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

Karoma wrote:
    Is it always the same file? From the same server? Does it happen to other files,or servers?
    Clear cache. Save to another location. And use a tool that facilitates resuming downloads / check MD5 sum..
    Seconded.

If you're downloading and redownloading the same ISO from the same server, this indicates the file on the server is corrupt - no matter how many times you download it, if the source file is phukked, so will your copy of it..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

this can happen in IE if your cache size is smaller then the iso size... ( i use a ramdrive for cache but it causes problems downloading in ie dues to its max size of 125 meg. If the cache is full or the download was more then 125meg it became corrupted )

the simple solution is to try Firefox instead for downloading as you can specify a download folder outside the cache.

EDIT: i know in ie it seems you specify a file save location but it still seems to use the cache while its doing the downloading whereas firefox does not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭toil

hey, no this is happening with different files.
    It is not related to IE and cache size(i understand why suggested).
    Some of these files i download through IRC....

Any other ideas?

Cheers,
    toil

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

So you're downloading Warez files and wondering why some of them are corrupt?

I'd say its pretty obvious. :)

Try a better source for your files is the only advice one can give really. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

:D

A good test would be download a LEGIT. (Distro) ISO which has a checksum on the server & chek the SUM after..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭darkmaster2

Your motherboard isn`t using the nforce4 chipset by any chance? My new PC was giving me corrupt downloads until I got a new NIC. the onboard NIC was the problem.

Advertisement