Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Burger made with pork mince. Any thoughts?

Options
  • 10-01-2006 2:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭

Ok i've never been in this food forum before, so i don't know if this is too low brow but has anyone else made, and enjoyed, a burger from minced pork, using pork chops minced well, pickles (from jar of whole ones, cut yourself), german mustard, a little ketchup, fried onions, fresh lettuce and melted red cheddar cheese? Have made this recently a few times and found it very nice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I've had burgers made from pork before. Any minced meat can be used to make burgers from really, with differing amounts of success.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Pure turkey mince is great as well.....little bit of onion, black pepper and an egg to bind.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

Not low brow at all con, we encourage anyone to cook at home. That burger sounds great! What I like to do w/ pork mince is mix it with egg, oregano & pepper, form it into a ball around feta and fry really slowly. Serve with loads of salad and tzatziki!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Con_316

Hmm. the feta thing sounds to be good. I took up making things like burgers with different meats and more unusual sauces/ additives because i got sick of plain beef.
    K had a very nice beef burger in Matt the Thresher's in Birdhill, Tipp. First nice non steak type beef food i've enjoyed in a while. I believe the quality o firish beef has deteriorated due to pressur to mass produce. I've found I can still eadily get nice pork though.

Anyone have any more nice ideas for alternative solutions to standard stuff? something along the lines of that feta suggestion....
    I'v recently decided i actually like cooking but also that lots of food is boring so i need to get interesting ideas.

Made chilli con carne last night with pork and had a stab at making the sauce manually. turned out good. That's quite nice with turkey also.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Shabadu wrote:
    What I like to do w/ pork mince is mix it with egg, oregano & pepper, form it into a ball around feta and fry really slowly. Serve with loads of salad and tzatziki!
    There's a proper greek name for that (although probably made with lamb mince instead) which I can't remember for the life of me.

Talking about pork mince (and Holland!), one thing that was very popular there was what they called "half om half" which was a mixture of half beef and half pork mince used, amongst other things, to make that great Dutch snack speciality, the "gehaktbal", a large meatball. It's quite a nice combination actually.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

Check out the organic meat stalls in the Temple Bar market. One does lovely venison burgers (and sausages).

That half and half meat mix is also popular in NW Germany... close to Holland so it could be a regional thing. I think they call it Hacken Fleisch, or sommat like that. I used to use it to make pasta sauces and stews. It was really tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Mena02

Why not try mixing pork mince with sauted diced onion, sage and seasoning. Shape into burgers and flour, eggwash, breadcrumb and fry. Delicious :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭dipdip

Mena02 wrote: »
    Why not try mixing pork mince with sauted diced onion, sage and seasoning. Shape into burgers and flour, eggwash, breadcrumb and fry. Delicious :P

The poster might not see your suggestion Mena02, they made this query 8 years ago! :pac:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Mena02 wrote: »

Hello, you're welcome to boards! Please refrain from bumping really old threads.

Thanks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement