Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Americans not allowed to be annoying online.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

It tries to prohibit anyone from using the Internet "without disclosing his identity and with intent to annoy". Lol. So the thought police are really out there!!

I wonder what the term annoy covers? Things that annoy me:

1) People breathing
    2) People typing with both hands
    3) People logging into sites
    4) People who don't log off
    5) People who number everything
    6) People

• Registered Users Posts: 17,201 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Don't you just love the land of the free

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

Might Get me a U.S Proxy n spam who i can. This is retarded. Gettin jail for annoyin someone. This could also lead to the finding of copyrighted material eg. Mp3's and Avi's on charged people. Imagine some government prick rooting through your PC because you annoyed someone. This will lead to invasion of privacy. Its just so that political parties dont have to put up with differing opinions on their message boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Thats gonna reduce the number of boards.ie politics posters somewhat :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

TBH this is much ado about nothing. The article correctly states that the legislation is actually unconstitutional. It'd most likely not stand up to scrutiny if challenged on first amendment grounds.

Then I guess we'd really see if "the land of the free" still exists as an idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Lemming wrote:
    TBH this is much ado about nothing. The article correctly states that the legislation is actually unconstitutional. It'd most likely not stand up to scrutiny if challenged on first amendment grounds.

Then I guess we'd really see if "the land of the free" still exists as an idea.
    I suppose that it's the fact that this has been passed into law which makes it 'newsworthy' rather than the fact that it may/may not be unconstitutional.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

As soon as the EU follows suit (like a lost puppy) I am going to sue all of you bastards! 2 years in prision each, oh yeah!

You have been warned! :v:

Wicknight wrote:
    As soon as the EU follows suit (like a lost puppy) I am going to sue all of you bastards! 2 years in prision each, oh yeah!

You have been warned! :v:

Not unless we ban you first!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Wiretaps without warrants is unconstitutional as is spying on your own citizens but hey that doesn't seem to stop some people. :v:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Lemming wrote:
    Not unless we ban you first!! :D
    I find bans annoying ;)

• Advertisement

DaveMcG wrote:
    I find bans annoying ;)

I find posters posting complaints about bans being annoying to be annoying and in need of bannage

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

The whole idea of this is that they now have the *option* to use this new tool in their arsenal against someone who is an actual serious nuisance, rather than the "anonymous coward" types commenting on your blog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Lemming wrote:
    I find posters posting complaints about bans being annoying to be annoying and in need of bannage
    POLICE! POLICE!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

God. Bless. America.

FuzzyLogic wrote:
    The whole idea of this is that they now have the *option* to use this new tool in their arsenal against someone who is an actual serious nuisance, rather than the "anonymous coward" types commenting on your blog.

So who is the "serious nuisance" FuzzyLogic? Is it the stalker? Is it the whistleblower? Is it the political lobbyist who's determined and really scuppering politicial or big business machinations?

It's sucha vague description as to be farcical.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

I find the entire law pointless and annoying... does that mean Bush can get arrested? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

FuzzyLogic wrote:

Yes because the US police have never used a law against its original meaning ... oh wait .. the DMCA, the Patroit Act etc etc etc ... the list goes on ...

The idea that bad laws are ok because people just won't abuse them is ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Americans not allowed to be annoying online.
    /me watches as the number of online gamers drops by 75%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

I find it a total abuse of lawmaking that it's possible to attach a completely unrelated law to a "must-pass" bill. It's crazy. And it favours crazy people.

Did America just outlaw trolling?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,420 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Wicknight wrote:
    As soon as the EU follows suit (like a lost puppy) I am going to sue all of you bastards! 2 years in prision each, oh yeah! You have been warned! :v:
    I find the use of ":v:" on Soc boards to be annoying.

Advertisement