Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Staunton Robson Show - do you have a source ?

• 10-01-2006 10:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭

Here's a challenge:

post a source that shows any or all of the following :

1. Staunton has applied and/or interviewed for the job
    2. Robson has applied and/or interviewed for the job
    3. FAI have confirmed or denied they have been in discussions with Staunton and/or Robson
    4. Staunton and/or Robson have confirmed or denied discussions with the FAI

What is the actual source of this story ?

Can anyone point to how much money is being made in online betting with this speculation ?

This thread isn't about whether the FAI are making the right choice: it's about whether they indeed have made a choice. :cool:

Call me a skeptic ("you're a skeptic!" :D ) but I notice the language used by all of the media reporting this 'story' is quite vague.

How much has been / is being made in betting on this ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

I was wondering the same thing, would you put it past the FAI on doing some insider dealing?

Stan was very much a longshot, and there has been a huge amount of money put on him over the last few days, much of the speculation in the media seems to be based on the amount of money backing Stan with no concrete evidence.

I couldnt help put a 100 on him at 1/3 though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

If Staunton does get it, then next time it's vacant I'm applying. Seems to be just a name out of a hat job and I have as much management experience as him (probably more with all th eyears of cm/fm:) )

It's getting beyond a joke at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Its true all right and whats more he's getting a 4 year contract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭midget lord

This must be purely an interim measure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

The Muppet wrote:

The alleged appointment(s) may not be the best, but a 4 year contract is very sensible.

We're not going to come within an asses roar of qualifying for Euro 08, so allowing someone to take the job and concentrate on developing the team for a bash at World Cup 10 is our best hope of further success. Telling the guy(s) he only has 2 years puts too much pressure to achieve short term gain.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭shabbyroad

The Muppet wrote:

Not having a go Muppet but : what's your source ?
    The alleged appointment(s)

At the moment that's all there is.

I've been listening to some of the radio coverage on this this morning while driving to work and I think the worst was the journalist from the Sunday World on Gerry Ryan's radio show. He couldn't even get the catchphrase from Yes Minister right.

It's all still speculation.

So the challenge is still there: a source.

We're not going to come within an asses roar of qualifying for Euro 08, so allowing someone to take the job and concentrate on developing the team for a bash at World Cup 10 is our best hope of further success. Telling the guy(s) he only has 2 years puts too much pressure to achieve short term gain.

I understand the reasoning for it from Sseves viewpoint but as he is so inexperienced I dont believe it is wise on the FAI part's . A one year rolling contract may have been a better option. If things were not working out that would give both parties the opition of an amiable parting unlike what happened with Kerr.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

The Muppet wrote:
    I understand the reasoning for it from Sseves viewpoint but as he is so inexperienced I dont believe it is wise on the FAI part's . A one year rolling contract may have been a better option. If things were not working out that would give both parties the opition of an amiable parting unlike what happened with Kerr.

The last thing we want is a situation like England are in where they cant sack Ericsson because of the amount of money involved. Long contracts for managers dont seem to be a good idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

It was on the 9 o'clock news last night. Confirmed.

shabbyroad wrote:
    Not having a go Muppet but : what's your source ?

At the moment that's all there is.

I've been listening to some of the radio coverage on this this morning while driving to work and I think the worst was the journalist from the Sunday World on Gerry Ryan's radio show. He couldn't even get the catchphrase from Yes Minister right.

It's all still speculation.

So the challenge is still there: a source.

Has there been a denial from the FAI? Every Media source in the country is runing with this story since yesterday. If it were not true a simple statment from the FAI would have killed the story.

I know I have been banging on about people looking for links lately but there are lots of sources for this one and your insistance for more is puzzeling. I think what you are looking for is the FAI statement either confirming or denying the story. AFAIK that has not been made yet. WHY?

• Advertisement

Lex Luthor wrote:

Was it ? Who confirmed it ?
    Was this the RTE news or Sky news ?

Again, I'm not having a go but where is the source for this ?
    Listen and read carefully - these journalists are cunning as a twisty turny thing Baldrick
    "... it has been reported that ... "
    "... speculation is mounting that ... "
    "... unconfirmed reports .... "
    " ... informed sources ... "

The Muppet wrote:
    Has there been a denial from the FAI? Every Media source in the country is runing with this story since yesterday. If it were not true a simple statment from the FAI would have killed the story.

I know I have been banging on about people looking for links lately but there are lots of sources for this one and your insistance for more is puzzeling. I think what you are looking for is the FAI statement either confirming or denying the story. AFAIK that has not been made yet. WHY?

A statement from the FAI would be one source.

I don't think it's puzzling at all : the quality of journalism in this country is appalling, sports journalism moreso.

So far nobody has shown a link to any shred of evidence.
    I'm not saying that it's not true. I'm simply saying that all we have is speculation and it's being treated as fact.

If there are lots of sources as you say, please direct me to one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Lex Luthor wrote:
    It wasn't exactly confirmed, they seem to have insider information though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭finlma

Why are you so caught up on a "a source"? Generally when there's a story in the media there is some truth to it - stories like this always leak out.

Stauton is going to be made manager. I don't like the decision but I wish the man every bit of luck.

They are giving the impression that they are well informed. And you're right - it wasn't exactly confirmed.

If this appointment happens that's another matter but what I find really curious is how a story has grown from this. It is being discussed across the print, radio, tv and online media but so far there is only speculation and no evidence.

Meanwhile, for the conspiracy theorists among us, betting continues . . .

shabbyroad wrote:
    A statement from the FAI would be one source.

I don't think it's puzzling at all : the quality of journalism in this country is appalling, sports journalism moreso.

So far nobody has shown a link to any shred of evidence.
    I'm not saying that it's not true. I'm simply saying that all we have is speculation and it's being treated as fact.

If there are lots of sources as you say, please direct me to one.

Sky The BBC and RTE have all ran with the story, it's not just the tabloids. I,m not having a go either but this one is so big with no denial being issued I have to believe it is true. John Brennan a very well connected sports journo gave contract details on the radio this morning.

shabbyroad wrote:

Its as bad across the water.

The majority of "scoops" in UK sports pages come from club message boards via fans who have contacts within clubs (or with agents etc). I've seen direct word for word reproductions of stories posted on message boards make it to the back pages.

finlma wrote:
    Why are you so caught up on a "a source"? Generally when there's a story in the media there is some truth to it - stories like this always leak out.

Stauton is going to be made manager. I don't like the decision but I wish the man every bit of luck.

Because I understood one of the fundamentals of journalism was the 'source' and a verifiable source at that.

Not one journalist in this country (and lord knows we have enough of them) has been able to come up with a single piece of verifiable evidence or proof that there is foundation in this story.

As to your point that there is 'some truth' to it... didn't we have a run of betting on another candidate recently ?

[and that makes 1,000]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

wouldnt be my choice either, dont think he has what it takes especially with the way the irish team is now, he's not exactly inheriting a great irish squad but i do hope he proves me wrong, bobby robson would be a nice appointment though, for his knowledge of the game and international experieince, he's also a gentleman who will get on with the irish media

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

This must be purely an interim measure.

An interim measure for what ? the buildup to the buildup of the European Qualifiers ?

are we gonna get another new manager in september ? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Nowt has been confirmed from Merrion Sq.
    Nothing is up on http://www.fai.ie
    All new broadcasts last night said nothing had been confirmed, but that they expected the appointment by the end of the week.
    The fact that we knew Kerr was a gonner before he probably knew himself is testiment of large leaks in the FAI... probably for more €€€.
    Perhaps, as someone else mentioned, they're getting plenty of insider dealing done to raise more for Landsdowne :p

Another interesting point about Robson coming in... he could be very influential in getting (British born) players to declare for Ireland.

whiskeyman wrote:
    Perhaps, as someone else mentioned, they're getting plenty of insider dealing done to raise more for Landsdowne :p

Jaysis and I thought I was a conspiracy theorist !! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

The Muppet wrote:
    Sky The BBC and RTE have all ran with the story, it's not just the tabloids. I,m not having a go either but this one is so big with no denial being issued I have to believe it is true. John Brennan a very well connected sports journo gave contract details on the radio this morning.
    In fairness to the FAI they said from the very beginning that they would make no comment on any speculation - and for once they have stuck to their word.

All the other rumours finally abated when the person in question denied it rather than the FAI. Stan has said nothing so far, so thats why the story has picked up pace and everyone is reporting, I believe more out of fear they're missing the story than based on actual fact.

I believe Stan has said nothing because he is getting a job, but I still have to have some faith in the knobs in the FAI and think that it must be assistant manager rather than the big one - in which case the bookies will have won huge again. Although even if Stan is manager the bookies still win because of all the money that was spent on Venables and others earlier on.

Steve might not be such a bad choice tbh, Mark Hughes got his first taste of managerial experience at Wales and did a very good job there, so perhaps the FAI are thinking Steve Staunton could do the same

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Steve might not be such a bad choice tbh, Mark Hughes got his first taste of managerial experience at Wales and did a very good job there, so perhaps the FAI are thinking Steve Staunton could do the same

Yes but ultimately Hughes didnt qualify for anything which is what success is measured on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

The Muppet wrote:
    Sky are worse than any of the tabloids for bad journalism and sensationalisming everything.

On topic:

This may very well be true but there is not a shred of evidence available to confirm the speculation other than "they have good insider information"...and if it turns out to be true then it just highlights another big FAI blunder - not just appointing a manager with no experience but leaking the information to the press a week before they confirm it leadign to confusion. It's also disrespectful to the failed aplicants imo.

Kingp35 wrote:
    Yes but ultimately Hughes didnt qualify for anything which is what success is measured on.

well wales arent exactly a good team either, for a team that is well used to finishing bottom of their group, they did Qualify for the playoffs to get into Euro '04 in Portugal. Thats a major achievement for a team of their caliber and as you can see with John toshack in charge, normal service has resumed.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/2006/0110/ireland.html

pretty funny.. with all the resources at their disposal we get
    There is still no word from the FAI as to when the imminent appointment of Steve Staunton will be made official, although an announcement is expected later in the week.

It's believed Staunton has agreed a deal with the FAI which will see him launch his international management career assisted by former England and Newcastle manager Bobby Robson.

Should the duo be officially confirmed, ...

His potential appointment ...

G'wan the Montrose Massive. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Listen pal, put those roll eyes to bed. Steve Staunton will be the next Ireland Manager and thats the end of it.
    Stop being so cynical and accept that the ginger messiah has returned to lead us to salvation.

And Pighead knows for a fact that your gonna do the whole "Oh well I was only questioning the validity of the reports,i wasnt wrong at all ever"
    Pighead will go to the next boards beers dressed in nothing but a see through scarf if Stan the Man is not the next Ireland manager.
    Happy now?

• Advertisement

Pighead wrote:
    Pighead will go to the next boards beers dressed in nothing but a see through scarf if Stan the Man is not the next Ireland manager.
    Happy now?

Feeling a little queasy meself...;)

whiskeyman wrote:
    Another interesting point about Robson coming in... he could be very influential in getting (British born) players to declare for Ireland.

What?? Like who for example - Wayne Rooney? That is one of the most ridiculous comments I've read. You either can or can't declare and anyone who can is welcome. Any mercenries like Kevin Nolan or Keith Gallen can p1ss right off.

shabbyroad wrote:

You don't hear anyone else laughing. Get over your conspiracy theory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

finlma wrote:
    What?? Like who for example - Wayne Rooney? That is one of the most ridiculous comments I've read. You either can or can't declare and anyone who can is welcome. Any mercenries like Kevin Nolan or Keith Gallen can p1ss right off.
    Don't you remember a certain Jack Charlton and the huge influx of British born players that declared?

It's well known Robson is a well respected character in British (and even Euro football), and he could well make players like Nolan make the commitment to play for Ireland.

I really dont see whats so ridiculous about that... It's been touted by a few journos already.
    If anything, you telling top players like Nolan to p1ss off is ridiculous...
    finlma wrote:
    You don't hear anyone else laughing
    I am.

Christ.... who ate your bun today? :rolleyes:

Players like Nolan and Gallen only use Ireland as a back-up to play international football. They have both clearly stated their desire to play for England and as a result I would consider them unwelcome to play for Ireland.

Winning is important but so is pride.

Sorry for going off-topic.

finlma wrote:
    You don't hear anyone else laughing. Get over your conspiracy theory.

I'm pissing myself. I could have written that ****e.

I don't have a conspiracy theory.

All I'm saying is that there are so many reports by 'professional' journalists and not one of them has managed to come up with a shred of fact or evidence to support the story.

here .......... you can have your bun back

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Pighead wrote:
    Listen pal, put those roll eyes to bed. Steve Staunton will be the next Ireland Manager and thats the end of it.
    Stop being so cynical and accept that the ginger messiah has returned to lead us to salvation.

And Pighead knows for a fact that your gonna do the whole "Oh well I was only questioning the validity of the reports,i wasnt wrong at all ever"
    Happy now?
    I still think its 50/50 whether he'll be assistant or manager.

Advertisement