Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller - problem

• 10-01-2006 10:23am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭

i just bought a sony tr2ap laptop second hand, and it has a few problems.
    there are some i can ignore, but the main problems are that the DVD drive is not present in my computer and the wifi doesn't seem to work either.
    i'll probably end up getting a usb wifi jobbie, so for the moment my focus is on trying to fix the DVD combo drive.

i am not sure if it is related to the drive, but in the device manager [i'm running XP pro] there is an error beside the OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller.

1394_problem_1.jpg

Here are the properties:

1394_problem_2.jpg

and the current drivers:

1394_problem_3.jpg

when googling about it seems hard to find new or different drivers for the controller, as everyone seems to mention that the drivers are included in windows.

i've tried uninstalling the controller and searching for new hardware, but the problem keeps appearing. i'm kinda lost after that, and would appreciate any help or suggestions people could give me on this.

thanks in advance ;)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭davidclayton

i thought the properties window was very strange:

"the device cannot find enough free resources that it can use
    ... if you want to use this device, you will need to disable one of the other devices in this system"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

i thought the properties window was very strange:

"the device cannot find enough free resources that it can use
    ... if you want to use this device, you will need to disable one of the other devices in this system"

Did you try to uninstall the device and see what happens when windows reinstalls it? I would suggest Knoppix to investigate the problem but obviously you've no way to install it unless you know how to put a bootable version on a usb stick? You could disable all devices that you don't need to see what happens but it wouldn't suprise me if that message is a red herring.

i have an external usb CD dive, can i boot knoppix from that?

if not, one of my mates has a 1gb usb stick, how do i go about putting a bootable knoppix on it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

i have an external usb CD dive, can i boot knoppix from that?

You should be able to if the laptop is fairly new and supports this. If you go into the bios and see if you can change first boot device to a usb storage device? I am taking it that you are familar with changing setting within the bios? If not get someone who is to do it for you.

yeah, i'm familiar with the bios, and will check when i get home.

• Advertisement

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prjk_dec_lgsc.asp

This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. If you want to use this device, you will need to disable one of the other devices on this system. (Code 12)

Two devices have been assigned the same input/output (I/O) ports, the same interrupt, or the same Direct Memory Access channel (either by the BIOS, the operating system, or a combination of the two). This error message can also appear if the BIOS did not allocate enough resources to the device (for example, if a universal serial bus (USB) controller does not get an interrupt from the BIOS because of a corrupt Multiprocessor System (MPS) table).
    You can use Device Manager to determine where the conflict is and disable the conflicting device.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

-- incorrect --

The solution is simple: Recover using the built-in recovery partition.
    Boot, tap F10 - COMPLETE SYSTEM RECOVERY.

The solution is simple: Recover using the built-in recovery partition.
    Boot, tap F10 - COMPLETE SYSTEM RECOVERY.

i appreciate your suggestion, but i think the seller tried this just before he gave it to me. i'll try it again tonight and let you know if it did anything...

I've edited my previous post..

To be honest, I saw it being suggested in the previous thread - but got the impression that the previous owner didn't do it for some reason.
    There seems to be a few issues that are driver/IRQ related - a recovery will fix them all up in about ~40mins..

have done the full recovery... unfortunately it still has the same problem :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

IEEE 1394 isn't that firewire ?

Anyway go into the BIOS or sony control panel or whatever and disable the stuff you don't need for the moment to free resources. (maybe firewire is disbled already :confused: ) Then remove them in device manager, also view hidden devices in device manager to see if any usb devices or other external stuff that might be confilciting even though no longer there.

re: DVD - have you tried the SONY rootkit remover ? :v:

Knoppix on USB,
    If you can't find a link on it then I might do up one, based on the HP flash formatter to make it DOS bootable and then use Loadlin to start the large knoppix file.

edit - http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/USB_Based_FAQ

one of the requirements listed on the link you sent states:
    Computer with BIOS capable of booting from USB keydrive (select USB-ZIP).

my bios does not support this. :(

what's the rootkit remover?

How did you perform the recovery? What option did you choose?

Restore the BIOS defaults on your machine :
    Tapping F2 on bootup -to get into BIOS
    TAP F9 once; then press Enter to load defaults
    Tap F10 once; then press Enter to exit&save changes.

Download & install any updates from the VAIO-Link.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

one of the requirements listed on the link you sent states:
    Computer with BIOS capable of booting from USB keydrive (select USB-ZIP).

my bios does not support this. :(

what's the rootkit remover?

Boot Puppy from NTFS partition
    Boot your Window$ NT/2k/XP installation.
    Get Grub4DOS here http://sarovar.org/project/showfiles.php?group_id=320&release_id=507
    Extract the files using WinZip. We only need the Grub4NTLDR component - grldr. Copy grldr to C:\
    From the Puppy CD (or ISO) copy vmlinuz and image.gz to C:\boot\
    From the Puppy CD (or ISO) copy usr_cram.fs to the flash drive (a pupfile will be created on the flash drive the first time it is booted).

Create a text file with notepad called menu.lst in C:\boot\grub\ This is what it should contain -

default 0
    timeout 0

title Puppy USB
    rootnoverify (hd0,0)
    kernel (hd0,0)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/ram0 PSLEEP=25 PFILE=pup100-none-262144 PHOME=sda
    initrd (hd0,0)/boot/image.gz
    boot

Now open C:\boot.ini in notepad (boot.ini may be hidden, and you can back up this file first if nervous), add this text -

C:\grldr="GRUB Puppy USB"

Next time you boot Window$ you will see this extra option.

Edit - Puppy-Installer for Window XP - http://www.puppylinux.org/user/downloads.php?cat_id=3

Advertisement