Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stoner versions of other songs.

• 10-01-2006 10:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭

I've often found this kind of funny, You take a song (preferably a well known non-stoner song, green day, u2, some popular mainstream stuff like that), tune it way down and possibly slow it down, make it either real trippy or really fuzzy and heavy and just mess around with it. Did this most recently with the green day song "when i come around" which someone made me listen to (saying it was better than, as she said: "that stoner **** you're into"). So i reworked it into a stoner cover version wit some guys i jam with sometimes. It was well funny.
    Anyone else think tis be a fun idea? any suggestions?:v:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

I know Type O Negative done a version of paranoid (2:49 long), and made it near 6 minutes long, simply by slowing it down to a rediculous pace. I think type O are naff tbh, but its an interesting way to cover something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Con_316

Pugsley wrote:
    I know Type O Negative done a version of paranoid (2:49 long), and made it near 6 minutes long, simply by slowing it down to a rediculous pace. I think type O are naff tbh, but its an interesting way to cover something.

I really dislike type o negative. Never heard that but if you mean sabbath's paranoid then i can only imagine how ridiculous that sounds because there's not many different notes so it'd mostly be likw"dah......dah... dah..." like a frickin church bell ringin out.
    it's fun if you can do a good stoner cover though because if you do that at a gig then people are suddenly like "what the fu*k? that's green day.." or "holy sh1t that's sepultura but 3 times slower".
    Tis a good laugh. Catches people out. My favourite one so far i've ever tried is one of "When i come around" by green day. it's slowed down. so that it's twice as long and we tuned down the guitar and bass way down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭mc nuggets

Paranoid? Which one. Sorry But iv'e got a couple of paranoids in my head right now. Which one is it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

mc nuggets wrote:
    Paranoid? Which one. Sorry But iv'e got a couple of paranoids in my head right now. Which one is it.

Black Sabbath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Kyuss did a cover of Into The Void which broke into a sort of latin part which was kind of interesting. Soundgarden did a cover of the same tune using lyrics allegedly written by a homeless guy they befriended (or something stupid to that effect).

Continuing with the Into The Void theme, you can sing the lyrics of Into The Void over all but one of the songs on Sleep's Holy Mountain...

... don't ask :v:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

The new compilation from Thrones features a sludgy/stoner cover of "Young Savage" by Ultravox. The Melvins have covered "Smells Like Teen Spirit" but it's a fairly straight cover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭Lothaar

The Cardigans did two excellent covers of Black Sabbath songs: Sabbath Bloody Sabbath and Ironman. Not in a stoner style, but in a really light, sunny afternoon style that is nothing like the original (well, the chorus of Sabbath Bloody Sabbath was originally quite chilled, but not this much).

Doctor J wrote:
    Kyuss did a cover of Into The Void which broke into a sort of latin part which was kind of interesting. Soundgarden did a cover of the same tune using lyrics allegedly written by a homeless guy they befriended (or something stupid to that effect).

Continuing with the Into The Void theme, you can sing the lyrics of Into The Void over all but one of the songs on Sleep's Holy Mountain...

... don't ask :v:

Well , in fairness doctorJ ther'd probably be no stoner if not for sabbath so i'd disagree with callin it a stoner cover, it's more a homage to sabbath, which is basically what you could call the entire St Vitus ...born too late album too. As for sabbath inspired music, look no further than Fu Manchu's "In search of" album. It's as if they found some lost sabbath stuff and added their own lyrics and vocals on some stuff. Kind of Led zep meets sabbath type thing on "The Bargain" (track 11) on that Fu album. As for the into the void lyrics working on all but one song on sleeps holy mountain, i can see how that could be possible. Sleep were basically very fond of that sort of sabbath lyric friendly pattern of song.

Lothaar wrote:
    The Cardigans did two excellent covers of Black Sabbath songs: Sabbath Bloody Sabbath and Ironman. Not in a stoner style, but in a really light, sunny afternoon style that is nothing like the original (well, the chorus of Sabbath Bloody Sabbath was originally quite chilled, but not this much).

Well yes, ok they did, but my point is the exact opposite, i'm singing the praises of stoner-ified versions of "normal" songs like, i dunno, a stoner cover of a corrs song or somethin

Advertisement