Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noisy Water Pumps & Dublin Bus!

Options
  • 10-01-2006 11:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

:o hello. ive been living in CLG since june and just had a couple of questions for any 2-bed fellow residents....

1. does anyone else find their water pump incredibly noisy esp if youre in the front bedroom? and has anyone any ideas or had any joy in reducing it cos at the moment im sure it can be heard in superquinn!!

2. has anyone heard anything about when the 184/84 bus routes might be available on the charlesland link road - i was told (by those devious sales reps who'd tell you anything to get you to buy!!) that this would happen in the summer when i originally bought the house, but since then ive heard and seen nothing.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭NewHome

hi nicm

i just moved into a two bed last weekend so everything still new to me! Re the water pump, it can be heard but is not excessively noisy. When we first got the keys we worked for a bit on the house before we moved in, and we noticed a crazy racket in the pipes after the pump was on. It sounded like a jack hammer in the hot press. Is this the noise you are talking about? We called one of the plumbers on site to have a look and he said that he had seen this in around 50 of the houses in charlesland so far. So he went up into the attic and attached some kind of pipe to something (as you can tell i have no idea about plumbing :rolleyes: ) and it fixed the problem immediately.

Re the bus, i was talking to one of the 84 bus drivers yesterday evening, and he said they are just finalising the timetables and that the buses will be going up to charlesland in the next month or so.

Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 14,942 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

the pump is fairly noisy - i wouldn't mind so much if it only came on for showers but its attached to every tap in the house except the kitchen sink. This is totally unneccessary - who needs power-shower water pressure in their sink?

I'll be interested to see what the bus timetable looks like - if its the 84 we're getting, its already very infrequent and presumably they'll have to leave some of them going the old route. 184 would be better - it used to be a more frequent service with every 2nd bus only serving Greystones and the rest going on to Kilpedder. Since the DART started up they've been cutting it back.

Also the DART shuttle bus is now getting very busy - they'll have to put on a bigger bus soon or people will be getting left behind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Rustypup

The water pump in my upstairs bathroom is very loud too, and if you're not careful you end up with a very wet front! But what I have figured out, is that I have never heard my neighbours pump, and therefore would have to presume that they can't hear mine!! The only time it becomes a real problem is if you have people in both bedrooms...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Ru

loyatemu wrote:
    Also the DART shuttle bus is now getting very busy - they'll have to put on a bigger bus soon or people will be getting left behind.

I've noticed people from the apartments oposite us (can't remember the name) using the shuttle service, are they entitled to this????
    Personally i wouldn't care but if i was left behind because someone not paying for the service took the last spot i would definately have a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

yeah all of the apartments are entitled to use it...
    The fairways, the crescent and charlesland all contribute towards the but vis management fees

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Ru

yeah all of the apartments are entitled to use it...
    The fairways, the crescent and charlesland all contribute towards the but vis management fees

Good to know, but they are definately going to need a bigger bus, the 8:10 bus this morning had about 15 people standing, this cannot be legal or safe!

Ru wrote:
    Good to know, but they are definately going to need a bigger bus, the 8:10 bus this morning had about 15 people standing, this cannot be legal or safe!

the sign on the bus says 14 standing max.

I was on this bus and I reckon there was about 10 standing, but there isn't really room for anymore and there's still a lot of houses and appartments not occupied so its going to get busier again.

the service is run by a small bus company from enniskerry, I don't know if they even have a bigger bus. Alternative might be to run more frequently. Currently it runs 15-20 minutes before each DART, could probably squeeze in a few extra runs if it ran constantly rather than sitting down by the Crescent for 10 minutes at a time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21 Sharonh

loyatemu wrote:
    the pump is fairly noisy - i wouldn't mind so much if it only came on for showers but its attached to every tap in the house except the kitchen sink. This is totally unneccessary - who needs power-shower water pressure in their sink?

I'll be interested to see what the bus timetable looks like - if its the 84 we're getting, its already very infrequent and presumably they'll have to leave some of them going the old route. 184 would be better - it used to be a more frequent service with every 2nd bus only serving Greystones and the rest going on to Kilpedder. Since the DART started up they've been cutting it back.

I got one of the electricians to put a switch in the hot press so that I can just turn on the pump when I want it. Mine's very noisy also, I had the same experience with a pump in a previous new house.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Manny7

loyatemu wrote:
    the service is run by a small bus company from enniskerry, I don't know if they even have a bigger bus. QUOTE]

I'd say they might have something else, the service started off with a mini-bus holding about 15 people before they moved to the bigger one. In between for a couple of days they had a coach (as opposed to the current school bus) which was great, maybe they could bring that back. But I agree on the extra runs, shouldn't be that hard to squeeze in two trips per train. 7.15 bus is half empty at the moment though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Marcais

Sharonh wrote:
    I got one of the electricians to put a switch in the hot press so that I can just turn on the pump when I want it. Mine's very noisy also, I had the same experience with a pump in a previous new house.

Great idea on the switch (i'm in a two bed house) it is ridiculously noisy and I spoke to a plumber re. this. The gravity feed is not good enough for the shower (or probably not to fill a bath) but good enough for the sink.

I tried to soundproof around it, but the problem is that it sits on the floor. pretty sh!t planning (like a lot of other annoyances).

re. the shuttle bus...my understanding is that Charlesland residents pay for this with our management fees. I don't care who gets on it, but I don't see why we should pay for someone else's transport, especially if capacity becomes an issue. Wouldn't mind paying a couple of euro a week for the service.

Does anyone think that there should be at least one shuttle in the middle of the day and weekends....say at 12:30 pm or whatever suits a Dart?

• Advertisement

Marcais wrote:
    Does anyone think that there should be at least one shuttle in the middle of the day and weekends....say at 12:30 pm or whatever suits a Dart?

not really - Running the shuttle service during the day would probably cost more money (if it is being paid for by our fees) and it wouldn't be heavily used so not really worth it.

there should be a Dublin Bus service during the day, some sort of expansion of the 184 would be fine. Possibly Dublin Bus aren't keen because they know nobody would use the rush-hour services and these are the only ones they make money on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Bertie

Noisy water pumps there is a a tray insulation mat you can put under it helps a bit only €10 in buckleys bray

• Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭wingding

Ru wrote:
    I've noticed people from the apartments oposite us (can't remember the name) using the shuttle service, are they entitled to this????
    Personally i wouldn't care but if i was left behind because someone not paying for the service took the last spot i would definately have a problem.

I presume you're talking about Seabourne View. This is where I live, and yes we are entitled to use it. We pay for it like the rest of you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭wingding

Marcais wrote:
    re. the shuttle bus...my understanding is that Charlesland residents pay for this with our management fees. I don't care who gets on it, but I don't see why we should pay for someone else's transport, especially if capacity becomes an issue.

See above, you might also want to read the post before you wrote that from Matt_Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Marcais

wingding wrote:
    See above, you might also want to read the post before you wrote that from Matt_Dublin

Alright cheers Winding! Sorry for creating disunity (is that a word?!) (The way the management company wording is writen, it looked like it was for Charlesland) So they are getting enough funds from all over to put make sure the service is kept and they should be putting on more if needed.

Edit: from Bertie "Also the bus service is farcical they get €33000 alone from the wood I guesstimate it is the same for each or the other developments.Making it the most profitable part time route in Ireland .Dublin bus have said have no intention of laying on a full service as long as it exists as they say they couldn't possibly compete." €33,000 from the Wood !!

Seems like a lot of dissatisfaction with management fees. Ours isn't to bad as far as I can see and it includes buidings insurance. (I think it was €458 to begin with but they refunded about €120 because we had to get our own bin service)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Bertie

marcais
    on the issue of the taps Ballymore had to come back and change all the taps in 278 houses and apts in the wood as they were pressure feed on a gravity system. Since they did no problems get it checked p.m. me cos it'll cost you serious bucks to replace all of them yourself. The bath alone could cost €150.The residents of the wood put serious pressure on Ballymore and they relented also every ball cock in the attic had to be changed they were substandard and started leaking after a few months.Get it checked

Advertisement