Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skiboarding - Inline skaters take note!

Options
  • 10-01-2006 11:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

Skiboarding is an evolutionary sport. For anyone that does inline skating you must try this, it's like having your skates on goin down a mountain. For those of you that have been skiing and done ski school, you'll know what I mean when I say that it's not the easiest sport to pick up. Crossing tips, giving yourself a groin strain trying to stop doing that stupid 'snowplough' thing. Carving and parallell turns seem a long way off.

I discovered skiboarding about 4 years ago in Val D'Isere in the French Alps and I haven't put on a pair of skis since. Because the skis are much shorter and wider you have total control and stability. The feeling on the skiboards is natural, the stance is much more natural and relaxed then skiing. From the first time you strap on the boards, you know that you have way more control than you would on skis. Within a day, even if you're a total beginner, you will be carving turns, hitting blue slopes, even riding fakie. By the end of the week, most people will be competant enough to even tackle a black run.

Some purists see this sport as a cop out for people that can't be bothered to learn how to ski. I think not. Skiboards will let you hit any snow terrain and still feel in control. You will shred moguls while skiers are getting their tips stuck in them. The potential for this sport is huge and it is still in it's infancy.

Check out the links below, this will give you a flavour of what skiboarding is all about. All I can say to you is try it, you won't regret it!
    Careful, it's a big file:
    Skiboarding - What's the Deal??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

So its found a name, i allways called them ski blades. You look about four years of age when you put them on and there is nothing impressive in that video that cant be done with a pair of ski's. Death to those blades is what i say and i do see it as a cop out for people who cant ski(I thought myself to ski in New Zealand two years ago).
    But hey, if your having fun on them i wouldnt really care what other people like myself think!

Oh and they are too slow aswell!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 P2ssw0rd

As I said, don't knock it till you've tried it.
    I find long skis well overrated and 'carvers' are like wearing planks on your feet. but hey, that's just my findings on skis.
    Skiers seem have a real objection to change or anything that threatens the exclusivity or their sport. 10 years ago, snowboarding was rejected as a sport by skiers who said that it was a passing phase, it's almost gained equal status with skiing now.

I'm not knocking skiing as a sport, I love snow sports. I just think that people should have a more open mind to evolving sports. Skis are not the be-all and end-all.

That was the upper class skiers about the snowboarding and that was a huge difference. I joke with mates who are boarders about the hole ski/snowboard thing but blades arent anything knew, just smaller ski's for people who cant ski.

A Skiboard is:
    Shorter than a ski
    Wider than a ski
    Has a sintered base
    Is twin tipped
    has a much more parabolic shape than a ski
    has no torsion bars
    Is suited to any user, regardless of weight or height
    Has a wood core

They may look the same, but then, so does bovril and engine grease.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,139 ✭✭✭emaherx

RasTa wrote:
    blades arent anything knew, just smaller ski's for people who cant ski.

I can ski, but snowblades are a whole lot of fun.
    I was in Livingo this year and brought a pair of ski's, snowblades and a snow board with me.

There is no need to put people down for enjoying this relativly new sport.
    Sure it is easier than skiing to pick up, but they are alot more manouverable and more fun to do tricks on. Any inline skaters will love them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

P2ssw0rd wrote:
    ...10 years ago, snowboarding was rejected as a sport by skiers who said that it was a passing phase, it's almost gained equal status with skiing now.

I'm not knocking skiing as a sport, I love snow sports. I just think that people should have a more open mind to evolving sports. Skis are not the be-all and end-all.
    At least snowboarders don't complain about skiers :v: :v: :v: :v: :rolleyes:

Yea right!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭frodo_dcu

RasTa wrote:
    Yea right!
    look simon just cos you feel threatened by our superiority is no reason to be bitter.

the way the ski boards are built sounds just like a snow board. i think there class i always see guys rippin it up on the mountain on them. mucho respect to anyone riding them

I see where all this talk of blades came from now. i sent you more info on the trip btw u should come it'll be twice as good as ne trip you've ever been on. 70 dunk irish ppl and snow can't wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Anywhere I've seen them they've been called snowblades and are responsible for more accidents than skis and snowboards combined. Inline skaters think they can just hop onto a pair of them and start jumping off stuff, and end up in the A&E.

Guns don't kill people. Snowblades kill people. :D

2 words for ya - Release Bindings!
    Skiboards can cause a lot of ankle injuries with non release bindings (I'm a victim of them), but I've invested in a set of release bindings for my 105's and haven't looked back since.
    They pop just when I need them to.

The term snowblades comes from solomons product, which are generally the ones available for rent in most ski resorts. A true ski board has a parabolic cut, a wood core is much wider than a snowblade and is twin tipped.

• Advertisement
Advertisement