Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Irish car

Options
  • 10-01-2006 12:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭

LOL, since when are Mazda's "irish made cars" ??

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=337152

damn , some people are really stupid. I hate reading that line in alsmost every car ad.
    Are these people chronically stupid or whats the story??...I always wondered do they actually think that these cars were actually made in a factory in Wexford or something??

wouldnt "non-import" or something like that make more sense than "irish made car" ......also takes up less words in adds!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Wolverine_1999

Heh, when I was searching for an MX-3 I actually saw that as well there !

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Also anyone who is trying to sell their car and takes a picture of it in the dark is either not the brightest tool in the shed or is hiding something.

The body kit looks as if it was only put on yeserday, it looks like it isn't even sprayed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭pontovic

strange question, but how come cars were never made here ? all i know of are the fords that were made in cork until 1984 and the il fated delorean in belfast

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

pontovic wrote:
    strange question, but how come cars were never made here ? all i know of are the fords that were made in cork until 1984 and the il fated delorean in belfast

The only other cars manufactured in Ireland I can think of are the Clan Crusader, Clan Clover and the Shamrock job. All of which are junk AFAIK.

(The Brittains Group also assembled British Leyland cars on the Naas Road - more junk)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

Could be snobbery: maybe they're wanting to differentiate between the "domestic" car and an import.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

el tel wrote:
    The only other cars manufactured in Ireland I can think of are the Clan Crusader, Clan Clover and the Shamrock job. All of which are junk AFAIK.
    The Irish Government owned the sole world-wide rights to manufacture Heinkel "Cabin Cruisers" in the late 50s. They made over 6000 of them in Dundalk. These are highly sought-after because of their relative rarity. The rights & plant were sold to a private company in Slough and manufactured for a number of years under the brand "Trojan". More here http://www.heinkel-trojan-club.co.uk/cabin_cruisers.htm

cabin_1.jpg

In the 20s and 30s there were a few manufacturers in Belfast, but none in the free state that I know of.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

The Irish Government owned the sole world-wide rights to manufacture Heinkel "Cabin Cruisers" in the late 50s. They made over 6000 of them in Dundalk. These are highly sought-after because of their relative rarity. The rights & plant were sold to a private company in Slough and manufactured for a number of years under the brand "Trojan". More here http://www.heinkel-trojan-club.co.uk/cabin_cruisers.htm

cabin_1.jpg

In the 20s and 30s there were a few manufacturers in Belfast, but none in the free state that I know of.

Apparently the only door that was on the 'Heinkel Cabin Cruiser' was at the front, it opened outward, the car also had no reverse gear, so if you drove it right up to a wall you were buggered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

Sparks400 wrote:
    Apparently the only door that was on the 'Heinkel Cabin Cruiser' was at the front, it opened outward, the car also had no reverse gear, so if you drove it right up to a wall you were buggered.

HAHAHA. oh man - lack of logical reasoning or what!! imagine crashing into a tree or another car.

on a side note , in that pic why is it Left hand drive and have German reg plates??

ALSO : this isnt what i intended when i started this thread , but do go on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

Great info ds20prefecture. Never knew that!

(Apart from the integrated headlights,the Henkel is not at all unlike the BMW Isetta of the same era)
    bmw_isetta.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 P2ssw0rd

bazz26 wrote:
    Also anyone who is trying to sell their car and takes a picture of it in the dark is either not the brightest tool in the shed or is hiding something.

The body kit looks as if it was only put on yeserday, it looks like it isn't even sprayed.

That car looks absolutley atrocious! The front bumper looks like it was crashed and put back together, maybe that's what he means by 'Irish made car'. I would think that putting something like that on an add would discourage people from buying it. I mean, really, would you buy a car that was made in this country? We can't even glue train tracks to concrete properly.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

there used to be american cars assembled here too as well as dkws and opels at one stage. The american cars originated in CKD form from Canada.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭theShire

anyone else take a look at the pic of the front- doesn't look like the Mazda badge to me! more than likely it's a Eunos which means definate import!

was the mx-3 even available to buy in this country- if it was then this would be fairly rare- I don't think i've ever seen a genuine Irish mx-3 on the road

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Sparks400 wrote:

Maybe this 'car' was so light and small that your foot was the reverse gear?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

"irish made car"

Leprechauns, they're everywhere. I caught 8 of them last night attempting to build me a Buggati Veyron in my back garden until I shooed them off with a broom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Dead

wow i senn them before there great lil bangers ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭toffeapple

Didnt they used to make chryslers hear?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

toffeapple wrote:
    Didnt they used to make chryslers hear?

Yeah , Chrysler had a plant in Santry , its where the garda Station is now .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Gatster wrote:
    Leprechauns, they're everywhere. I caught 8 of them last night attempting to build me a Buggati Veyron in my back garden until I shooed them off with a broom.

Thanks for that! I needed a laugh. :)

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

el tel wrote:

(The Brittains Group also assembled British Leyland cars on the Naas Road - more junk)

The Brittain Group assembled Morris cars for years at Portobello. They included the Morris Minor and the Mini.
    Lincoln and Nolan assembled all the Austin range here as well. Not exactly JUNK in their day. They were the most popular cars in Ireland after Ford. They later merged and became the Leyland Group. Brittains were also the first people to import Japenese cars to Ireland. They were the Datsun (later Nissan) importers.
    Jim.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

I thought I read somewhere (possibly the Irish Times Motoring section), that there was an Irish car manufacturer back in the fifties, based in Cavan. I can't for the life of me remember the marque name, though. Supposedly it was the only Irish car manufacturer. Can anyone confirm this or am I going mad (always a possibility!)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

The first VWs to be assembled outside Germany were made in Ballsbridge - see www.vwmadeinireland.com
    And I remember my parents had a Fiat 128 with a 'Guaranteed Irish' logo on the back!

Advertisement