Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

paintball team

Options
  • 10-01-2006 12:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Hi Folks

Anyone intrested in joining a paintball team. We have a paintball team in monaghan and we play various tournaments throughout the uk and europe.
    If you are up for it give me a shout.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭Optimus

a-bomb wrote:
    Hi Folks

Anyone intrested in joining a paintball team. We have a paintball team in monaghan and we play various tournaments throughout the uk and europe.
    If you are up for it give me a shout.
    Whaaat?
    Paintball guns are illegal to own in ireland. Unless you own a registered paintball field your not allowed them and if caught can be charged with unlicensed possesion of a firearm.

So wtf? Am i missing something, how do you have yours?
    P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 a-bomb

Optimus wrote:
    Whaaat?
    Paintball guns are illegal to own in ireland. Unless you own a registered paintball field your not allowed them and if caught can be charged with unlicensed possesion of a firearm.

So wtf? Am i missing something, how do you have yours?
    P

wtf2u
    There are 7 of us on the team all with approved top of the range markers. We are heavily sponsered by our local paintball field and we all have authorization for our markers. I guess they just wont give the authorization to anyone, you have to know what you are doing.
    T.

a-bomb wrote:
    wtf2u
    There are 7 of us on the team all with approved top of the range markers. We are heavily sponsered by our local paintball field and we all have authorization for our markers. I guess they just wont give the authorization to anyone, you have to know what you are doing.
    T.
    I see, so how did you go about getting autorization? Cause id love to get up and running in the world of paintball. Are you the only team in Ireland? What ages are ye? Id really like to get a team together/join a team. The sport is something really special and needs to grow. So please do reply about this man:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Love to get into this aswell, use to play in America years ago, have a marker (Automag 68 - the air cannister) not sure what kind but from what I remember it wasn't the kind used in ireland paintball fields. Also have the mask, loader etc.

Myself and a few friends were talking over Christmas about getting back into it. Anyone know the actual laws about getting the guns ?

Dont know how it would work though travailing up and down to Monaghan for games (dont drive) but perhaps if I could convince my friends to get some we could play in seperate places and meet 1/2 month for bigger games

Love to get into this aswell, use to play in America years ago, have a marker (Automag 68 - the air cannister) not sure what kind but from what I remember it wasn't the kind used in ireland paintball fields. Also have the mask, loader etc.

Myself and a few friends were talking over Christmas about getting back into it. Anyone know the actual laws about getting the guns ?

Dont know how it would work though travailing up and down to Monaghan for games (dont drive) but perhaps if I could convince my friends to get some we could play in seperate places and meet 1/2 month for bigger games
    I emailed the guards and they said contact your local station.
    Theoretically all you will need is to get a regular gun license and have the gun checked yearly by the garda ballistics squad.
    But i dont have the time to be ringing guards so im hoping someone else will;)

• Advertisement

Just rang both satations near me, seems the licence guys are out to lunch, but on garda said it shouldnt be a problem at all

If I remember Ill ring again tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭shortys94

where can you fill up CO2 tanks, WHERE!!!! I need CO2

Just rang both satations near me, seems the licence guys are out to lunch, but on garda said it shouldnt be a problem at all

If I remember Ill ring again tomorrow.
    Please do mate.

CO2 tanks- bring them to either one of the BOC gas stations,a wleding supply store or a place that refills dire extinguishers:)

Optimus wrote:
    Please do mate.

CO2 tanks- bring them to either one of the BOC gas stations,a wleding supply store or a place that refills dire extinguishers:)

There are very few places that can and will fill Co2, not everyone knows how to fill Co2 and they probley wont have the right fill station for the job. My local pball site has the right fill station but they have stoped using Co2 because it is a nightmare to work with.

T.

BTW our team shoots 2 times a mounth every second sunday for approx 3-4 hrs. We do shooting drills and some games during our team sessions altough it depends on how many of the team turns up. At the minute we are looking for new members to join the team so any1 up for it give me a shout.

a-bomb wrote:
    There are very few places that can and will fill Co2, not everyone knows how to fill Co2 and they probley wont have the right fill station for the job. My local pball site has the right fill station but they have stoped using Co2 because it is a nightmare to work with.

T.

BTW our team shoots 2 times a mounth every second sunday for approx 3-4 hrs. We do shooting drills and some games during our team sessions altough it depends on how many of the team turns up. At the minute we are looking for new members to join the team so any1 up for it give me a shout.

And on the gun licences its no good going to your local garda station they havent a clue, u need to go to the balistics depretment in pheonix park dublin but be aware they are very difficult to talk to and you will get a very negative responce.
    T.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,217 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I co-founded the paintball club in NUI, Galway in my last year there. Getting a licence for a marker is the exact same as getting a licence for a shotgun under Ireland's backwards system. It's surprisingly easy to get these licences though :)

The biggest problem facing paintball in this country is quite predictable: insurance (hardly a surprise considering their behaviour in other segments of the market). Insurance costs on a field are absolutely prohibitive and are the main reason that paintball is so expensive in this country. Fields are forced to charge huge mark-up on rounds just to break even and that's before they've added a margin to allow them to make a living out of their businesses.

While I was in college we had secured Garda permission to purchase a number of markers for the club, had gotten a tentative agreement from the college over the use of a patch of land as a speedball arena and were all set to really get the sport going in Galway until the university's insurance refused to cover us without a six-figure premium on the university's policy.

This will probably remain the case despite paintball's excellent insurance record around the world (from an actuarial point of view, paintball is safer than rugby, soccer, hurling, hockey, gaelic or even golf).

At the time I remember noticing a particularly nasty vicious circle: the insurance costs prevent the sport from becoming big and the only means we could come up with of combating insurance costs was for the sport to be so big that we could form a lobby group strong enough to convince the government to put pressure on the thieving bast@rds that make up the insurance industry here.

as far as I know we are the only pball team in ireland, there could be other teams out there but i hav'nt heard of any. Our team range in age from 18yrs to 35+ so everyone is welcome to play. We can also help with buying equipment and if anyone is up for it you can rent some equipment at the field where we play.
    T.

What kind of air tank do you have for the automag.

How about I talk to the site owner to c if he will run a small tournament maybe a 3 or 4 a-side some sunday. Any1 up for that

Can you not just play on private land though? Like shooting on private land?

For the automag to be honest im not sure, it was a long time ago
    40 Something sounds right, maybe you can help narrow it down, it wasnt the kind the tippman 98 uses and it was about twice the size of a tippman cannister, I rememeber being told there was 2 types of air ??

Sorry im so dodgy but my memory is a blank on this one, like I said it was about 5 / 6 years ago

For the automag to be honest im not sure, it was a long time ago
    40 Something sounds right, maybe you can help narrow it down, it wasnt the kind the tippman 98 uses and it was about twice the size of a tippman cannister, I rememeber being told there was 2 types of air ??

Sorry im so dodgy but my memory is a blank on this one, like I said it was about 5 / 6 years ago
    There is compressed air and compressed CO2 gas.

any recommendations on what i should do, i have my paintball gun from america, i am not sure if it even works anymore since i havent used it in so long, but i think its fine, its pretty new well in good condition, its a spyder:)

i need co2 or something to fill up my air tank!!!! please any places near the west, or whats nearest to the west

• Registered Users Posts: 24,217 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

There's a field in Westport that you could try contacting?

a-bomb, there are paintball teams in a number of colleges: NUI Galway, UCC, IT Tralee, IADT and Trinity all have paintball clubs and UL's "Gaming Society" have a team too. And they're just the teams that I played against when I was in Galway, I'm sure there are probably more now.

You've also got Escarmouche in Belfast who play in the millenium series...

any sites, contact information? for any of the places? thanks for help sleepy

• Advertisement

Optimus wrote:
    There is compressed air and compressed CO2 gas.

Hay Static
    Not sure what you mean by "40 something" if you want to send me a photo of it i will be able to help you.

BTW
    shortys94 don't make the mistake of filling compresed air into a Co2 tank or Co2 into an air tank. Doing this would be a xtreemly dangerous.

Not sure if a paintball site will fill your tanks they can be quite stubborn people.

Sleepy I know all about escarmouche in Blefast thanks anyway, I'd like to know more about the collages paintball teams, where they play, what they play - speedball or recball, what equipment they use and would they be up for a tournament.

Also getting great comments on this thread,
    but does any1 want to join our team

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Searcher

We need more teams, and more ppl who are trying to get a license.
    Sry for this unqualified post ;)

Right dusted off an old book I had "The Complete Guide to Paintball"

So I can figure out what cannister I had which I beleive was a 60 Cubic Inch tank (Either way I dont have it any more Boston Airport Police nicked it !)

shortys94: Where are you from in the west out of interest ?

I wonder if UCG actually still have a team ?

I moved from galway to may, but am alot of times in galway druing summer, damn i have such a good paintball marker just sitting here with no CO2!!!!!!

hi shortys94
    what kind of a marker do you have? Anyone else have a marker let me know what make it is. just so i can get an idea what type of markers people are using.

@abomb check your private message.

i have a SmartParts ION, 300bar Preset 1.1L Composite Bottle and a Junior Freak Set.

i think mines a spyder sonix or sumtin like that

a spyder is a nice one. One of the first ones i shot was a spyder. You can get tons of parts for these.

yea i have a laser sight for my marker:):) and a scope

but i need CO2!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭X-SL

That'd be so deadly. I suppose there'd be no chances of a 16 year old getting the lience? ^_^ sucks.. the sport will never take off that way.

Advertisement