Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ethernet cable too short :(

• 10-01-2006 1:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭

My phone socket is in another room to my computer can I just go out an buy an extra long ethernet cable, the one that came with my modem is only about 1m long. Or is there some other method I could use or would i have to get a wireless router and set it up in the room with the main phone socket?
    hmmmm confused....

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

cupthehand wrote:
    My phone socket is in another room to my computer can I just go out an buy an extra long ethernet cable, the one that came with my modem is only about 1m long. Or is there some other method I could use or would i have to get a wireless router and set it up in the room with the main phone socket?
    hmmmm confused....

You can buy a longer cable no problem or you can buy a wireless router and set it up as you say. If you are with Eircom you may have a wireless router already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭cupthehand

got a Zyxel Prestige 660ru ADSL Router from digiweb and a bit of a newbie when it comes to all this. Am looking at serious lengths of cable now on eBay think they'll do the job. Would be speed be affected by the longer length of cable or anything or would it not make a difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

Speed won't be affected. What sort of length are you looking for? That stuff is fairly cheap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Madong

cupthehand wrote:
    got a Zyxel Prestige 660ru ADSL Router from digiweb and a bit of a newbie when it comes to all this. Am looking at serious lengths of cable now on eBay think they'll do the job. Would be speed be affected by the longer length of cable or anything or would it not make a difference.

Try Komplett, they have laods of cable. But the wireless router is a good suggestion. Set one up for a fiend last week and he was well impressed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

Ethernet is fine for approx 100 metres. Your speed won't be affected by it. A 5m length would probably be enough if you're prepared (allowed!) to drill through the wall.

• Advertisement

well like I said the main phone socket is in another room and would need a big length as I would be taking it along the skirting boards in the room so maybe looking at maybe 50m of it loads of it on eBay for around £10 before p+p will look around elsewhere but am gonna buy soon coz its not great waiting years for broadband then having it tucked up in a box on the kitchen table :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

50 meters !!!! Another room . . or another street ??

Would it not be simpler to extend the phone line to the computer room ?? 50 mts ( if that's what's really required !) of 4 core alarm cable would be cheaper and neater/safer to install under carpets and behind skirtings etc.

ZEN

ZENER wrote:
    50 meters !!!! Another room . . or another street ??

Would it not be simpler to extend the phone line to the computer room ?? 50 mts ( if that's what's really required !) of 4 core alarm cable would be cheaper and neater/safer to install under carpets and behind skirtings etc.

ZEN

there big rooms! lol full of trixy corners and stuff and I was gonna do a neat job and follow the skirting and around the doors etc. Well maybe not exactly 50m I guess 25m would do :D
    But I do have a phone socket extension near enuff to my computer but I thought the router had to be installed onto the main socket not on any extenstions.

50 meters??? Are you sure you need that much? Considering the average length of a room at 5 meters how many rooms do you have to cross?

Heinrich wrote:
    50 meters??? Are you sure you need that much? Considering the average length of a room at 5 meters how many rooms do you have to cross?

well like I said maybe not exactly 50m but I am thinking if i gotta go to the main socket about 20m coz theres a long hallway in between too its an awkward shape house believe me!

• Advertisement

cupthehand wrote:
    there big rooms! lol full of trixy corners and stuff and I was gonna do a neat job and follow the skirting and around the doors etc. Well maybe not exactly 50m I guess 25m would do :D
    But I do have a phone socket extension near enuff to my computer but I thought the router had to be installed onto the main socket not on any extenstions.

Just make sure to put a filter on every PHONE. You can connect to any phone point.

Sometimes the simple questions are the most rewarding !!

As said you can install the "modem" on any phone socket provided you connect the dual filter with the modem.

I think you'll be surfin' in no time !!

ZEN

thanks for all the help guys :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

still long cables make no odds either as regards spees. I run a long cable into a flatmates room. The cables prob 25 or 30 m as its coiled up half way and the speeds identical on both machines...

wireless is neater thats all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

wireless is neater thats all

True, but wireless is no where near as reliable as traditional ethernet cabling, albeit, a much cleaner solution. Don't get me wrong, I have wireless set up in both my parents place and my apartment and it is a god send. The wireless in my parents is now rock solid, and I have only recently (after about 3 months of playing around with the settings) gotten the wireless in my apartment to be 100% reliable (well has been for past 4 days now).

TC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

TinCool wrote:
    True, but wireless is no where near as reliable as traditional ethernet cabling, albeit, a much cleaner solution.
    Indeed. We have a 50m cable at home (it was bought before wireless had been released) which I use every now and again when I'm transferring a few GB's of data between machines. It's at least four times faster than wireless...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

are we talking about the same kind of cable?

Your not thinking of phone cable are you? Because if you are 50m will affect your ability to get broadband. if you are gonna plug your router in at the phone socket and then run the ethernet line to the PC, then fine, but you cant run a phone cable that distance.

Also remember that ethernet cable is not as pliable as phone cable is, I can see problems tacking it around corners and so on. Also its chunkier than phone cable so will be more obvious than CAT5, and not look as pretty when tacked in place.

sorry if Im preaching to the converted but people(techs included) get confused between the two types.

I think wireless would be a better for you.

syklops wrote:
    are we talking about the same kind of cable?

Your not thinking of phone cable are you? Because if you are 50m will affect your ability to get broadband. if you are gonna plug your router in at the phone socket and then run the ethernet line to the PC, then fine, but you cant run a phone cable that distance.

Considring the phone line has already travelled probably 1 or 2 KM what diff will another 40 or 50 mts make ?? Besides the guy already has a phone socket beside the computer that he uses for dial-up which seems to work. Surely this thread is finished now ??

ZEN

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

on dial up a long phone lead inside the house definitely used to cripple what little connection speed you had....

perhaps the same problem could impact BB too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭TimTim

I've read somewhere before that someone was failing the line test for BB, he was only renting and moved elsewhere but he took the 20m phone extension with him a month later his old line passed!

If you can you should try running the CAT5 first before you start messing with phone sockets and if that fails go wireless. Although from the description of your house it might be hard to get a decent wireless signal through all that...

• Advertisement

True ! The worst culprit was those wind up coiled leads. The coiling of the very narrow delicate cable acted as a choke filtering the upper frequencies, that plus the very this cable had a high resistance. But I'm assuming here that the guy has a properly run phone extension with half decent cable.

ZEN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭Toy

You might look at this thread:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=219447

See if he can help.

[Edit] Just read the end of that thread, seems like there's no point in trying [Edit]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Before NTL I used a very long phone extension cable to connect DSL from my phone socket to another room (30 metres) wiht no problems. Certainly cheaper than a long ethernet or wireless option.

Advertisement