Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cancelling a Direct Debit for IBB - will I get into trouble?!

• 10-01-2006 1:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭

Hi all,

After going grey from investigating my options for Broadband, it appears that Breeze 1MB or 2MB is my only option on my road. Apparently DSL is STILL not available (this f****ing country....)

Anyway here's the question: has anyone signed up for Breeze 1MB or 2MB, which is a 12 month contract minimum, and then after deciding it was utterly useless, decided to stop the direct debit? It might work OK for me, but then and again it mightn't, and the only way to find out is to get it.

Am I entitled to do this? If I send them a letter saying "Come and collect your equipment... your service is crap... I have cancelled the direct debit.." etc etc, am I acting within my rights?

Incidentally, i live in an cul-de-sac off Coolmine Road in Blanchardstown. Anyone have this service specifically in that area?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Couch Potato

Don't go for IBB - Its not worth the hassle ...

You say you can't get DSL - what about Ntl ?

I am in Castlefield and it was only recently upgraded with ntl ?

What about Digiweb's Metro ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

Contact them and ask if there is a cooling-off period post-install. They can hardly expect you to subscribe for 12 months to something you know doesn't work properly after a couple of days...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

if you sign up for IBB having already read this Board then you deserve to pay for 12 months by DD , in full, and to thank them profusely for whatever you get off them .... be it advertised or otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Collumbo

Point taken! I won't go near them so.

My next door neighbours can't get DSL. NTL isn't currently available. Phoned them today and they're saying end of March.

Digiweb Metro appears to be the only realistic option. They are telling me that a guy in an estate near me has been with them since last year and hasn't had to call about problems yet...

Installation is €112 and they reckon it'll be a 4 week waiting period... probably worth waiting for if they say it'll work.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Collumbo wrote:
    Point taken! I won't go near them so.

My next door neighbours can't get DSL. NTL isn't currently available. Phoned them today and they're saying end of March.

Digiweb Metro appears to be the only realistic option. They are telling me that a guy in an estate near me has been with them since last year and hasn't had to call about problems yet...

Installation is €112 and they reckon it'll be a 4 week waiting period... probably worth waiting for if they say it'll work.

There may be any number of reasons why your neighbours canno get dsl it does not mean that you cannnot - for instance something on the line other than a plain vanilla phone can cause a line failure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

They can hardly expect you to subscribe for 12 months to something you know doesn't work properly after a couple of days...

BT do, and they are getting away with it!!

Collumbo - Metreo has had a lot better reviews than IBB. However, and nobody jump down my throat .. IBB have improved their speed a LOT in the last month or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Simply quote the Sale of Goods & Supply of Services Act 1980.

1. Irish broadbands service is not of merchantable quality
    2. It is not fit for the intended purpose.

A little legal knowledge goes a long way.

I returned my ripwave box last month due to terrible service. Stopped the direct debit also. Nobody's contacted me so I'm assuming IBB won't be chasing me.

Kinda lost without the internet at home though. What other options are there apart from IBB? Preferably wireless

Sorry, not trying to hijack the thread

bubby wrote:
    BT do, and they are getting away with it!!
    The bollixes!
    bubby wrote:
    Collumbo - Metreo has had a lot better reviews than IBB.
    True
    bubby wrote:
    However, and nobody jump down my throat .. IBB have improved their speed a LOT in the last month or so.
    True

micmclo wrote:
    Kinda lost without the internet at home though. What other options are there apart from IBB? Preferably wireless

Sorry, not trying to hijack the thread
    If you don't want to go VL with IBB, I'm going to have to advise Digiweb Metro there... They've had good reviews on boards.ie but they also have a few teething problems. Loads of threads about it here...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 386 ✭✭JanneG

micmclo wrote:
    I returned my ripwave box last month due to terrible service. Stopped the direct debit also. Nobody's contacted me so I'm assuming IBB won't be chasing me.

Ripwave is not bound by a contract and therefor there's no chance of IBB ever chasing you for any money etc.

Ripwave & Breeze are two totally different things as well... Ripwave defo seems overcrowded with subscriptions as far as I can see.

On breeze myself since last april and the only prob I've had was two days of awful UL speeds and when IBB's whole network had issues...

Over all quite happy with the service...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

I'm close enough to your area - if you are on the Blanchardstown exchange (which I am) you should be DSL enabled and able to choose from Eircom, Esat, UTV etc..

Have you tried your own number in the DSL checkers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

as has been said before ripwave does not have a contract.

If you cancel your direct debit, what ever about IBB's debt collectors arriving, it will mess up your credit rating.

A friend of mine was not able to get a loan because he cancelled the direct debit on something with out finishing the contract.

Cooling off period is usually something daft like a week.

syklops wrote:
    If you cancel your direct debit, what ever about IBB's debt collectors arriving, it will mess up your credit rating.
    I don't think this is accurate... I read somewhere that IBB was not part of the organisation of companies (can't remember name) required to affect credit rating. Then again I could be wrong...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

From my experience IBB have improved 10 fold from they used to be. I've been a customer for over a year, maybe closer to two years. When we first got it the fastest service they had was the 512kb one for €35 a month (getting upgraded within a week). The first 3 or 4 months we're fairly decent, it was our first highspeed line so we didn't know any better.
    Then the problems came, where our speed went crap for days at a time and calling CS got it sorted for maybe a day or two only.
    Then they started upgrading their services, to the 1Mb lite deals, and then on to only providing Ripwave and then the 1 or 2Mb lines. A few months after they discontinued the 512kb service (disconntinued installing it, but not upgrading) my speeds have always been capped, and many times bursting upwards of 75KB/S. My only complaint about this is that they did not inform us of upgraded services and that we can get twice the speed for the same price. This isn't the place to go on about it though, but maybe just a thought for the OP.

To the OP - I'd say leave IBB out of the story, more people have had trouble with them then should happen, and often times their CS is terrible. I don't know if this new upgrade (to the 2mb line) will bring on another 12 month contract, but if the contentions bolox things up again. I'm gonna look into NTL which should finally be in our area.

Advertisement