Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kennys bookshop

Options
  • 10-01-2006 1:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭

was just wonderin now that kennys is closin who is takin over the old premises?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

lemme see .

a) UK Fashion Multiple
    b) Kings Head (branded as the Queens Head)
    c) A Hairdresser
    d) A Restaurant

doubt if it will be anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

is it still going to be a bookstore?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Demeant0r wrote:
    is it still going to be a bookstore?

Unlikely, I'd say. I'm going with bland UK chain store.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

What else could afford to take it over? Pub, or high street uk type store I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Leather shop

• Advertisement

Another magic mushroom shop?

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭timeout

Stringfellows next strip joint :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

Me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Starbucks... it's only a matter of time :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Cityboy

A 'nice' SHOE SHOP.....Cos every woman in GALWAY will tell you that it's impossible to get 'nice' shoes in Galway....Figure that one!!

• Advertisement

Cityboy wrote:
    A 'nice' SHOE SHOP.....Cos every woman in GALWAY will tell you that it's impossible to get 'nice' shoes in Galway....Figure that one!!

Heresy! There are plenty of cool shoe shops in Galway. Far more than in Cork. Fact!

simu wrote:
    Heresy! There are plenty of cool shoe shops in Galway. Far more than in Cork. Fact!

Not sure what your source is but I question the truth of that fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

Internet cafe!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

danniemcq wrote:
    Starbucks
    I wouldnt mind one, just one tho.

Not sure what your source is but I question the truth of that fact.

There's a few cool ones in Lr and Upper Abbeygate St., for example. What audacity you have to doubt me! :v:

Sorry, it's just that none of my girl friends rate Galway for any kind of "serious" shopping, but particulary shoes for some reason. I don't pretend to understand why.

Well, maybe it's not great if you're looking for designer brands.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

simu wrote:
    Well, maybe it's not great if you're looking for designer brands.

or if you're female and over 6 foot tall and a size 9 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭MargeS

I definitely heard Starbucks is moving in!

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭LucyBliss

I can just hear the howls of disgust if Starbucks does move in there. The cultural literati of Galway will be beside themselves and the Advertiser will have to have an extra supplement just to print all the letters they got.
    While I'm sorry a Galway business is closing down, to be honest I never really went into Kennys to buy books because I always remembered it as being this dark shop where Mrs Kenny was sitting there watching you as you browsed. And while I know it was renovated and made to look a lot brighter, I just never went in there. And neither did a lot of people I know from Galway.

Anyway they're not shutting down completely, they're still in Liosban and on the web. And the bindery is still going strong, from what I hear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

Meh. Kenny's seems to think it's more important to Galway than it actually is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Cityboy

Ya,and they are so loyal to Galway that they gave the building to a Dublin Auctioneer to rent it out for them!!!....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

Believe. I've heard stories about that particular situation over the weekend, that makes it more lousy.

At the end of the day a business is a business is a business. It wasn't a Govt-run cultural centre!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

simu wrote:
    At the end of the day a business is a business is a business. It wasn't a Govt-run cultural centre!
    Thank christ. Can you imagine the carnage if the "self styled angry poets of Galway" got something of minor significance?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

Good Riddance is all i can say, there hasn't been anything special about kenny's since they did it up back in the mid 90's. I hear they are going to earn rental income of about 300k a year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Liesia

I disagree Kennys was definitely one of the last old world type bookshops around and I definitely prefer that type then the Easons type

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

Liesia wrote:
    I disagree Kennys was definitely one of the last old world type bookshops around and I definitely prefer that type then the Easons type

My point was Kennys lost alot of it's charm after they did it up back in the mid 90's. The best bookshop in Galway for last couple of years has been Charlie Brynes if ye ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

yeah Easons isn't as nice as kennys in any way although the best bookstore in town is that one in the cornstore. i love that place

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Cityboy wrote:
    Ya,and they are so loyal to Galway that they gave the building to a Dublin Auctioneer to rent it out for them!!!....

Wrong ... Sherry Fitzgerald DTZ is a franchise. Their office is in town.

Advertisement