Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Please Help, Connection nightmare

Options
  • 10-01-2006 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi.
    I have just bought a jvc dvd recorder. I want to connect it to my tv ( which has only 1 scart socket) to my grundig sky digibox and to my sharp vcr.

Can anybody explain the connections / settings that need to be made and tell me if the one scart on the tv could be a problem. I have bought a kind of extension cable which can take 3 scart connections and would plug into the tv

I would like to be able to record from tv to either video or dvd and to record old videos to dvd.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭demac

Hello,
    Can you do the following
    JVC DVD Recorder -> Sky Digibox -> Sharp VCR -> TV ?

The Digibox and VCR should have 2 SCART Sockets so you can fit them between the DVD Recorder and TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 phmcd

Hi Demac.
    Do you think this will work and give ma all the options I want?

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭demac

Hi dude,
    It should work. I don't have those devices myself but reckon you should be ok.

Try it out and let us know how you get on !

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

No, it wont work, because you wont be able to record on the DVD recorder if you do it that way. The DVD recorder should have 2 or three inputs, at least one scart and a composite. (maybe two scarts, or a firewire connection) I assume you'll want to always record on the DVD recorder, it's not too easy to get the VHS in the record chain.

This is my suggestion:

Digi Box -> Composite input of DVD recorder
    VHS -> Scart input of DVD recorder
    DVD Recorder out put (Scart) -> TV input.

Another method:

You could buy two of these: http://www.gc-plus.de/img/large/sl-4008_1.jpg

Use one on the digi box, giving you two seperate scart outputs. Connect on of these to the DVD recorder, and one to the VHS, then use another adapter to give you two inputs to the TV, and connect the DVD and VHS outputs to it. this will mean you can record on DVD or VHS and the TV will display the input from the device that's powered on. It may get messy though. I suggest the first method :)

John

Thanks john,
    I will check the connections available on all my units and post.
    I am also cofused as to how to make the various RF connections.

• Advertisement

RF? Why do you need to use RF? If you use an RF aerial, then plug that into the back of the DVD recorder.

John

Hi John,
    I have an rf inputs from an mmds and standard "Bunny Lugs" I want to be able to watch them while I record from sat or vice versa.
    BTW my DVDR has two scart sockets on the back
    one says L1 input / output the other says L2 input decoder.
    Is this what you mean in the earlier post?

regards
    Pat

What model of DVD recorder do you have? My method wont work, if it only has 2 scart connections, both could be used as inputs, but you'd have to get the signal out via RF (Not the best quality). FYI, if you have to have the choice to either watch or record from RF, yo need to split the aerial, using an RF spitter, you can buy them in a TV shop, they're about 50 Cent - one RF cable in, 2 out.

I'm assuming you DVD player will have a Composite input (The Yellow, White and Red Connection) If you, this is the way I would wire your setup:

Wiring%20Diagram.jpg

Actually that'll only let you watch the RF feed, and Record from the Digi box.... or just watch the RF feed.

Basically you need more Scart connections :)

John

Hi John,
    I have bought the rf splitter as you suggest. Please see attached a scanned image of the rear of my machine ( JVC XV THR1 )
    Maybe you can figure out what I should do.

regards
    Pat

It can be done.... At least getting the system hooked up as above.

Use one of these: NC2613.jpg

Use the Scarts as inputs, and the Component as an output, along with the RCA audio connectors.

John.

• Advertisement

Hi John,
    I will try and source this cable this evening. What limitations will this setup create? i.e. which of my wish list will I not be able to do?
    Would buying some of those scart extension leads like you have shown be an alternative if i cant get a composite cable? or would the give me more possibilities?

regards
    Pat

The only thing you can't do using the diagram up there is Record from RF while watching the Digi Box.

When you are buying the cable, you're looking for Component Video and Stereo on an RCA connection to a scart lead.

You're very limited only having one scart connection. Are you sure there isn't a composite connection on the side/at the front under the flap? Composite is Yellow, Red and white connections.

John

You are correct, there is a small flap at the side which flips out to show this composite connection. It will be physically difficult to get a connection into it as the tv is in a cabinet but I will manage something.
    How does this change the connections which should be made and what is possible. sorry for being such a pain.

pat

I'll have a think and reply later.

John

I've thought, Does your Digi Box have two scart connections on the back? If it does, use the above set up, and then run the seconf digi output to the Composite connection on the side of the TV

John

yes the digibox has two scarts on the back. one says "tv" and the other says "vcr" its also got an "rf in" and 2 "rf out" connections

Right, I'll do a diagram soon. When I can be bothered :)

John

Right, using this wiring method should work. Igmore the colours of the wires (Not important, I used red for clarity)

Using this wiring setup, should enable you do do anything you want. When recording The Digi box, you want the RF signal on the Channels on the TV, 1,2,3,4, etc. When recording the RF feed, you select the channels on the DVD recorder 1,2,3, etc. To watch the Digi box when recording the RF signal, you view the Digi box on the Composite input of the TV, probably AV2.

If you are just watching a DVD, or something you've recorded, you xwitch to the scart input of the TV, AV1.

To view the Digi Box through the DVD recorder, Select Input 1, and AV 1 on the tv.

To view the VHS machine, selevt input 2 on the DVD recorer and AV 1 on the TV.

Be warned that you might not be able to copy VHS's unless you buy a cheap standards convertor that will strip the macrovision and stabilise the image.

That should all work...... Unless any one has any suggestions? My paypal account is johnloughman@yifm.com I expect €100 in it by tonight ;)

John

thanks john for all the help

Money talks! Money talks ;)

John

• Advertisement
Advertisement