Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE reporting on N24 crash re Waterford Regional Hospital

Options
  • 10-01-2006 1:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭

I was reading about that dreadful accident near fiddown on the N24 main Waterford - Limerick road this morning on RTE's website when it mentioned "Waterford General" hospital so I I e-mailed them about this inaccuracy and within 20 minutes it was updated.

This was not the first time that I spotted them calling it that

http://www.rte.ie/news/2006/0110/rta.html

Here is the e-mail I sent

Dear Sir/Madam,

I would like to point out that the Hospital in Waterford is "Waterford Regional Hospital" and not "Waterford General" as is being report on your web site at present

Sincerely

Just got a reply from them
    ====================

Thank-you very much!! I have corrected that now.

Regards. Teresa. Newsonline.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Nice one.

You'd think they'd get these facts right though, wouldn't you?

They are the national broadcaster after all! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Bards

I totally agree Merlante and hence the reason I felt compelled to write

If these things are not put right, then sooner or later everyone starts calling it Waterford General and we go down another notch on the national radar which equates to less funding etc.

Bards wrote:
    I totally agree Merlante and hence the reason I felt compelled to write

If these things are not put right, then sooner or later everyone starts calling it Waterford General and we go down another notch on the national radar which equates to less funding etc.

What annoys me is that these are objective facts, not subjective opinion. There is no way a factual error like that would be made within the commuter belt. There seems to be this idea that you can call things outside the greater Dublin area whatever the hell you want.

I've seen the WRH called:
    Ardkeen Hospital
    Waterford General Hospital

I've seen John Roberts Square referred to as Red Square.
    (in the media I expect the actual name, not the popular one)

Waterford City was called Waterford Town in a business post article that was linked to from a recent thread here, iirc.

I've seen the Port of Waterford referred to as Belview Port.
    (just because the port is in Belview)

The South East Regional Airport is still being called Waterford Airport.
    (should never have been changed, but the former is correct)

I've seen maps in the Irish Times which give the incorrect location for the city.

And a host of other basic mistakes besides. So much for "national" media.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Guys calm down! I call it Ardkeen Hospital actually I just call it Ardkeen!

I saw the van involved in that crash on the way home, the whole front end/bonnet area was flattened by the impact.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭SLOOPY

Bards and Merlante.

Some poor bloke loses his life in an accident and all you two can do is bitch about the name of the hospital.

Cop yourselves on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

seriously. some people have **** all to be worrying them. how many people do you know who call it "Waterford Regional Hospital". who cares what RTÉ called it

the way ye go on is really sad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 744 ✭✭✭angry_fox

Christ sake lads, twas a lad of 20 who was killed in the accident, 2 cars and a van (i think) were involved and ye are more worried bout the name of the hospital.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

Its ardkeen for F`s sake , a guy was killed this morning and thats all ye have to worry about , absolutely ridiculous!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Its all symptomatic of how Ireland's oldest city is systematically degraded by the Dublin meejah.... yeah right.:rolleyes:

Apparently Sam McCauley's are doing a deal at the moment on the 500ml bottle of cop on - I suggest you try it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jay-me

[edited] Useless comment in the circumstances.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭south

Ask his parent’s are they worried about the name of the hospital that their son remains are after been brought to..

I didn't know the guy who died. If you all took a minute's silence to think of him, then fair enough, but otherwise don't throw stones! :rolleyes:

This thread is essentially about a correction to an RTE article, and the general trend of errors and omissions in such articles in relation to Waterford -- otherwise it wouldn't belong on the Waterford board would it?

mike65
    You can call the hospital whatever you like, you're not the national media. The likes of the Irish Times, RTE, etc. should be on top of this sort of thing: it's their job. :rolleyes:

south
    Grow up, ffs.

Cool it, I've only banned total muppets from this forum thus far and thats the way i want to keep it.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

Bards wrote:
    If these things are not put right, then sooner or later everyone starts calling it Waterford General and.........
    ....the entire Universive will explode!

mike65 wrote:
    Cool it, I've only banned total muppets from this forum thus far and thats the way i want to keep it.

Mike.

What have I said that I could possibly be banned for?

Thats a general warning!

Mike.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Now now lads, keep your hair on.

No reason to be getting the computers ready to start a DDoS attack on each other.

Enough moaning, I agree: The Media should get it right. But a man died, and there is very little sympathy from some here - just moaning. Come on!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Bards

People,

As I started the tread in the first instance you will notice that I was reading the article on RTE's website because I was looking for a name. I happened to come accross this accaident yesterday morning myself, and thought maybe I might have known the person.

Upon reading the article I became aware just how sloppy reporting has become, and thought it wise to report the inacuracy to RTE so that they could update it.

I didn't even mention which artice I was reading.

SO basically I can gather that most members from waterford except Merlante of course would rather leave the national media walk right over us all and maybe even start calling this City a town as has been reported by Merlante.

Get a sense of proportion! Please. Some fella from Tramore who may have posted on this very forum is dead and we're arging the toss of city/town and general hospital/regional hospital. If people here wish to pick up the media on every mistake fine but there are more things in heaven and earth.

Mike.

mike65 wrote:
    Get a sense of proportion! Please. Some fella from Tramore who may have posted on this very forum is dead and we're arging the toss of city/town and general hospital/regional hospital. If people here wish to pick up the media on every mistake fine but there are more things in heaven and earth.

Mike.

Mike, I don't think you should assume that people on here are completely heartless. We don't discuss the deaths of people on roads on any of the other threads, the only reason we might here is because the article in question concerns the death of someone. However, the whole point of the thread is that the national media are making basic mistakes in their reporting.

Perhaps the thread title should have been chosen better, I don't know, but the thread was clearly not intended to discuss the deaths of individuals, or road deaths or anything like that. We could start another thread on that subject.

Does the fact that someone has died mean that we can't discuss anything else besides the fact that the person has died? Should Bards have decided that this discussion shouldn't happen because somebody died in the article he sites? I don't think so anyway.

If people are sick of people complaining about talk of Waterford being shafted, or ommitted, etc. then they should say so, and not be hiding behind the line of "someone has died can't you talk about something else."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

I think the thread title should be changed to reflect what is actually being talked about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 744 ✭✭✭angry_fox

If people have problems with the media why dont they start threads in the News/Media board, but come on lads, a lad has just lost his life who really cares about the name of the hospital.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

This isnt the time or the place to be moaning about the sloppy mistakes of the press.

Geez. I think this topic has had its course and is just going on repeat, and I can see a lot of people are getting a bit touchy.

Thread closed as its played out and old news now.

Mike.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement