Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

such a newbie

Options
  • 10-01-2006 2:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭

I think this is the year I am going to realise my dream. I have wanted a motorbike for so long but between one thing and another it never came to pass.
    Problem is that I don't think I could even hold one up let alone drive one. I don't know anyone with a bike so buying one and getting a friend to drive it home for me is a non starter. Where do I start? Please don't suggest going into a bike shop and asking for 'help'. I'd be laughed out of it, and as a woman I'd be sold a heap of sh1te. :rolleyes: txs.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

Try IRTA or another training school to get lessons. Some of them have school bikes you can learn on. Try riding before you even start looking at bikes. There are a few other irish biker forums around with more people in them who can give you better advice and details.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Just go to the decent bike shops, and you'd neither be laughed out of it or sold a heap of crap. Since motorbikes aren't exactly the most flourishing market in Ireland, you'll find a lot of staff in bike shops to be real enthusiasts, and are more interested in being nice to you as a biker/wannabe biker, than in making a quick few euro out of you (Though of course they want to make a few euro out of you).

I have found anyone from the IRTA to be great. Take their novice course (the site seems to suggest that some instructors can lend you a bike), which should at the minimum give you confidence to drive the bike home.

There's an email address on that site, I'd recommend emailing it with exactly what you've asked us here.

You can also ask as many questions here as you wish. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

Well if your looking for a light 2 wheeled transport. You could get a scooter/moped. However if you want a bike. I'd say a Yamaha verago 125. Their light(ish) easy to drive. Good to learn on. As for getting the bike from the shop to your house. Most shops will have a transport service. If not. There are companys like bike recovery center and things likes like. Most shops will have leaflits on them with numbers and the such.

If your worried about getting a heap for your first bike. Go to a good shop. Like bike world or Megabikes on camdon street. I'm sure people on here will have some other good recommendations for bike shops as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

tk123 is another female biker on here, pm her and ask girly specific questions.

Aside from that you're in the same boat as anyone else starting off. do some reading online. the forums linked in my sig are a good place to start, there are loads of newbie/recommend me a bike threads, and all the details on applying for/getting a license have been discussed loads of times.

as for weight/height issues, there are plenty of starter bikes that are low enough and light enough for anyone, once you're confident on one of those there's really not much difference with bigger bikes.

I'd recommend getting at least 4 hours of traning on a school bike if its possible, rather than haveing a friend/random person showing you the basics and hitting the road immediately. again you can ask on the various forums about trainers in your area and peoples experiences with them.

good luck and enjoy yourself, biking is a very addictive passtime

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

echomadman wrote:
    tk123 is another female biker on here, pm her and ask girly specific questions.
    :D:D:D My advise would be to get lessons so you'll know what you're doing once you get the bike - Joe in ISM is great!! As for the weight of the bike etc - you need to jst go to a bike shop and try some bikes out for size, weight etc. I'd recommend Planet Fun in Glasnevin - I'll be buying my new bike from them in a few weeks :D . When I was in before xmas the guy let me try any bikes I wanted for size- even giant sports bikes and they have a nice selection of new & used bikes. My current bike is a VanVan125 - i'm trading it in for a new Dragstar 250 because I want more power and would like a seat height thats a little lower(i'm short)!! :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

my girlfriend was of the same opinion about bike, really wanted to drive one but no idea where to start so i got her lessons with star riders, part of fingal county councils road training initiative, in swords very nice guys & i had done the course when i started with them

you can use your own or rent their bike, its a 12 hr course spread over 2 saturdays & 1 sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 19,026 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Here's the number for the StarRider coordinator in Fingal Co Co;

Motorcycle Training
    8905824/5825

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭bbbbb

learned to ride from scratch with:
    http://www.motorbiketraining.net/

Apparently now has a learner bike to rent also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭MargeS

thank you everyone for your replies, much appreciated. It's a pity so much happens around the Dublin area - anyone would think that life revolves Dublin. But I have found someone in my general area who teaches biking so I have my start!

Advertisement