Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wireless settings advice!

• 10-01-2006 3:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

Two (probably) very basic wireless questions that I am hoping somebody out there can help me with as I have limited knowledge in this regard.

1. I have my laptop with a netgear Ma521 wireless pc card wirelessly connected to an access point (Linksys WRT54gp2). The problem is that after I leave the wireless range from the Linksys router (and then re -enter) I have to restart my pc to gain access to the internet. The wireless symbol in the tray states that I now have limited or no connectivity. But after restarting everything is fine again.

2. Also windows is using its own software to drive the Netgear wireless pc card, is there anyway to set the window so that the netgear software is used?

Thanks in advance

Bluefish

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭humaxf1

Hi bluefish,

Answer to number 2

Goto network connections. Right click your wireless connection, properties, "wireless networks" tab. You will see a ticked box that allows Windows to manage the wireless card.

Untick it, and the Netgear utility will now control it.

Number 1, not sure on that one. I will try going out of range at home, and then come back into range and see if i get a signal back. One thing you could try in the meantime is, right click the wireless connection, properties and untick the very last tick box - notify me when.........etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Bluefish wrote:

1. I have my laptop with a netgear Ma521 wireless pc card wirelessly connected to an access point (Linksys WRT54gp2). The problem is that after I leave the wireless range from the Linksys router (and then re -enter) I have to restart my pc to gain access to the internet. The wireless symbol in the tray states that I now have limited or no connectivity. But after restarting everything is fine again.

Did you try using the "repair" function on the wireless network icon in the system tray when you reenter the wireless range? I would give that a go too. Happens on mine sometimes too, I just hit repair and it seems to stop and start the wireless adapter too.

Mind, this is for winXP (home) I can't remember if I can do the same using win2000 - have to check that at home too!

L.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Bluefish

Thanks Humaxf1 and Nereid.

But the second problem still remains a problem -

Humaxf1- tried that no joy unfortunately

Nereid - When I leave range and then re-enter and try to load a webpage I get the cant connect error page (or something similar) so I then repair and then ultimately get the limited of no connectivity on the icon in the windows tray. (even though my wireless network card software shows ample strength and link.

I appreciate the help

Bluefish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Regarding Problem 2:
    If you insist on using the Belkin software..
    In conjuction with the above step.
    Disable Wireless Zero Configuration from starting (This is the Windows service)
    [Start -> Run -> msconfig -5 -> UNTICK Wireless Zero Configuration. Reboot. Tick Hide This Box and close]

Regarding problem 1:
    Take care of problem 2 first. This may be causing an issue (It shouldn't ..but it's been my experience that it does)
    Alternatively: Use static IP addressing and save a lot of this hassle?

Karoma wrote:
    Regarding Problem 2:
    If you insist on using the Belkin software..
    In conjuction with the above step.
    Disable Wireless Zero Configuration from starting (This is the Windows service)
    [Start -> Run -> msconfig -5 -> UNTICK Wireless Zero Configuration. Reboot. Tick Hide This Box and close]

Regarding problem 1:
    Take care of problem 2 first. This may be causing an issue (It shouldn't ..but it's been my experience that it does)
    Alternatively: Use static IP addressing and save a lot of this hassle?

Koroma,

The instructions you provided above solved problem 2 perfectly. Still having the same problems with 1.

How would I go about getting a static IP address? and is it possible as I am on the Clearwire service.

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,798 ✭✭✭✭kippy

This should solve your remaining problem.
    Right click on the wireless adapter, disable. Right click on it again, enable.

Or go to start-run type "cmd" without the quotes-hit enter.
    type
    ipconfig /release hit enter
    type
    ipconfig /renew hit enter

It should at least mean you dont need to restart the laptop.
    Let us know how you get on.

kippy wrote:

type
    type

Tried the disable/enable option many times with no joy, will try the other option when I get back from work today, and will let you know how it goes.

Cheers

Bluefish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,798 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Its pretty strange that this is happening at all.
    The disable/reenable option should resolve the issue when you get back into connectivity range of the AP.
    When you search for wireless networks when you get back into the network, do you find it? And if you click connect at this stage can you connect?
    Just something else to try.
    Kippy

kippy wrote:

type
    type

Kippy- Tried the instructions above (ipconfig) and got a message saying that "RPC servers were not available" (or something similar from memory). And still had to reboot to get the internet pages to load.
    When I re enter range of the AP I still cant get the internet up even though my network connections is telling me that I am connected?

Karoma - Would you believe that the windows software is still being used to drive the Netgear wireless pc card every third of fourth reboot - even though the Wireless Zero Configuration remains unticked.

Quite unbelievable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

If you want to kill the WZC - Start -> run -> services.msc -> right-click on the WZC entry ->Properties - set the startup type to disabled. And make sure Recovery options are set to do nothing.

To be honest, I'd use the built-in Windows software to connect - It should allow the Repair function then (IF it's even necessary..which it may not!)

• Advertisement
Advertisement