Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Webmaster courses

Options
  • 10-01-2006 3:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭

Hi folks

Boss has proposed I go on course, at his expense, with the view to producing a professional looking website. Any ideas on good courses to attend. Have a design background. thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭BigArnie

Well the design is only one part of it. I'm assuming that if you need any kind of content management, CRM, etc. then you'll also need to get your head around some development also. Having said that, there are plenty of free resources out there (Mambo, etc) that you can implement easily to do this for you.

Have a look at http://www.iactonline.com/iact/ for specific Webmaster courses but be prepared to do a lot of self-learning outside of any courses that you might do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

BigArnie wrote:
    Well the design is only one part of it. I'm assuming that if you need any kind of content management, CRM, etc. then you'll also need to get your head around some development also. Having said that, there are plenty of free resources out there (Mambo, etc) that you can implement easily to do this for you.

Have a look at http://www.iactonline.com/iact/ for specific Webmaster courses but be prepared to do a lot of self-learning outside of any courses that you might do.

The design's the important bit. Any incompetent can learn to program. Hell, _I_ can program. Not a clue about design though.

And unfortunately, although you can learn about it, at the end of the day you're either good at it or bad at it. If you're don't have a knack for it, no number of courses will help you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

rsynnott wrote:
    Any incompetent can learn to program.

Any "incompetent" can learn to design too. What you are missing is that to both design and program well is the trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭grahamor

What you are missing is that to both design and program well is the trick.

Well said GoneShootin.

I did the Fitzwilliam Instistute Webmaster course in Blackrock, part of it was 2 months work experience in a company at the end. This is where i learnt everything, set yourself a challenging project and stick to it, thats IMHO how you will learn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭BigArnie

rsynnott wrote:
    The design's the important bit. Any incompetent can learn to program.

By that rationale, any incompetent can learn to do anything. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

I'll amend that; any incompetent can learn to program to the level required to write decent general-purpose web apps. :)

Advertisement