Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a broker?

Options
  • 10-01-2006 3:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭

Im just about to embark on buying my first home, can someone recommended a good mortgage advisor/broker?

Someone mentioned First Credit mortgages in the sticky, has anyone any experience of them?

Or am I better off just doing it myself?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭joejoem

I mentioned them, they were great, took all the pressure off, I would advise going with them. The solicitor they got me was fantastic too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭turbot

You might like to look at:

Guardian Financial Services Ltd

http://www.gfa.ie/

Most brokers I know will simply send you to some financial institution with which they have a connection come hell or high water. I know one particularly successful firm who have never, in my experience, NOT recommended ACC Bank, and another who used to send everything, no matter who the purchaser or what the property, to the INBS. Sure, they'll tell you it's the best deal for you blah blah blah, but surely anyone can work out what interest rate is best and who will give them the most money.

I also know of brokers who get completely lost with simple concepts like single owner dual mortgages etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

CiaranC wrote:
    Im just about to embark on buying my first home, can someone recommended a good mortgage advisor/broker?

Someone mentioned First Credit mortgages in the sticky, has anyone any experience of them?

Or am I better off just doing it myself?

I think the thing to remember with these guys is that they all obviously have an association with certain lenders and are therefore likely to push certain banks offers forward to you.

The thing to do is to keep checking around for the best rate while at the same time let the broker find a deal for you. I kept on coming back to my broker with good offers which I had sourced which he consistently beat.

In terms of a good company, I went with the Irish Mortgage Corporation. Excellent service.

Good luck with the house hunt!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

The thing to do is to keep checking around for the best rate while at the same time let the broker find a deal for you.
    Im doing exactly this. Gonna apply to the obvious banks myself and see if the broker can get me more than they offer.

Contacted First Credit via their website, they never replied. Typical Irish business. GMC just called me, so I'll see what they are like. Anyone any experience of them?

• Advertisement

Mezcita wrote:
    The thing to do is to keep checking around for the best rate while at the same time let the broker find a deal for you. I kept on coming back to my broker with good offers which I had sourced which he consistently beat.

That seems like a very sensible approach alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭turbot

Guardian Financial Services ( http://www.gfa.ie/ ) are very forward thinking like this.

They offer independent financial advice, and are not tied to any agency.
    While they haven't arranged any financial products for me personally, I have spoken to several people who they have, who were pleased to get better deals than they expected.

Keep in mind that banks also charge fees, though only have a select range of products.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Thanks turbot, I'll bear them in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭cltt97

Check out the various threads on askaboutmoney.com

The best thing to do is to get offers from the banks and then go to a broker and see if they can beat your best offer. I have heard that people got money from the broker. There is also a few brokers out there that will cover some of the legal fees if you go with them, so once you know what you want go with one of them and it could save you a good few bob.
    Good luck in the jungle!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

CiaranC wrote:
    Im doing exactly this. Gonna apply to the obvious banks myself and see if the broker can get me more than they offer.

Contacted First Credit via their website, they never replied. Typical Irish business. GMC just called me, so I'll see what they are like. Anyone any experience of them?

I found GMC to be ok. Like all brokers they'll try and flog you home insurance and life insurance. Just make sure you ring around yourself to make sure they are giving you a good quote. As far as the mortgage itself, they tout for all the major banks. I got about 6 or 7 different quotes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

IFG did a fine job for us although it was their broker in the Limerick branch, not Dublin .

cltt97 wrote:
    There is also a few brokers out there that will cover some of the legal fees if you go with them

I presume there is a very good reason for that. They are not a charity, if they cover legal fees then they are getting something from somewhere else to make it worthwhile, which is when you should wonder how independant they actually are...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 wallyworld

Mason Financial Services and ask for Sean Buckley. He did ours and he was FAB (and honest).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 simp

I've found Rea quite good. We were in a tricky situation mortgage-wise, and they made a good case to the banks on our behalf. Some others brokers wouldn't touch us with a bargepole...
    Their fee for <€250k is €499 (ex. VAT) which includes solicitor.
    http://www.rea.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

I used Joe Pitcher Finacial Service in Blanchardstown very good and showed us many different mortagages to go with. Answered every question we could think off and even weeks later they still answered various queries we had.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

i had good results with rea too, i didn't pay them a fee at the time but the solicitor I found through them was 1k+vat+outlay..

they got me a better deal than I was offered going through various other contacts and my own branch etc.

Advertisement