Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

THE anti-staunton as manager thread

• 10-01-2006 3:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭

The fans are asking that people email FAI and declare our opposition to Staunton’s appointment. Email: info@fai.ie. Your country needs you!!

why should we put up with a second rate manager? What managerial experience has staunton got that Kerr hasnt?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Staunton is right hand man to Paul Merson, I think that speaks for itself :) [am I being positive, am I being negative, who knows?]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭the Guru

does someone here with very good writing English want to write a template and we can mass mail the fai . to show that we dont want him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Me gud Englando languaaagee! me write gud paper letter thing:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

p.pete wrote:
    Staunton is right hand man to Paul Merson, I think that speaks for itself :)

He ain't even that!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

bullrunner wrote:
    why should we put up with a second rate manager?
    Maybe it's because we're a second rate team...

I have to admit, I laughed when I first heard it, but I'm willing to give anything a chance at this stage.
    Best of luck Stan & Bobby.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

:rolleyes:

Typical reposnse from the typical Oireland follower?

Does the guy not even get a chance? Obviously not, but seeing as the Irish national team is so accustomed to success after success, Steve Staunton will just have to deliver immediately.

Its people like the OP who make me both laugh and and cringe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

We've just made our most capped player the Manager, no other team would do that? No other nation would even consider such a thing :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

gimmick wrote:

Does the guy not even get a chance? Obviously not, but seeing as the Irish national team is so accustomed to success after success, Steve Staunton will just have to deliver immediately.

its international football for gods sake!! the supposed pinnacle of a players career! i think we've been giving managers chances for years, the fai shouldnt offer the job as a chance to make it as a manager it should be a reward for making it as a manager!!!

now i know there are not many of those around that should be rewarded available, but steve staunton??? im just hoping they make the appointment on april the 1st!

i dont know about you, but im fed up settling for 2nd rate ****! we have changed as a nation, one of the most prosperous in europe - we deserve a top quality manager and not a "nice man" (which is the best jack charlton could say about staunton)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

im dissappointed staunton is getting it as after the wait i thought somebody big was coming in. especially after it seemed the lets go for passion option of brian kerr failed.

however if thats who the fai have picked thats who we must support. a letter is not going to change that. just out of interest, if staunton is a success will ye be writting a letter of apology?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

im dissappointed staunton is getting it as after the wait i thought somebody big was coming in. especially after it seemed the lets go for passion option of brian kerr failed.

And don't forget, lots of us thought that was the FAIs best decision and were delighted at Kerr getting it....
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=78357&highlight=kerr
    and
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=72029&highlight=kerr

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

What I'm worried about is the calibre of manager he worked under:

Dalglish, Souness, Stapleton, Atkinson, Little, Houllier, Gregory, Reid, Merson, Charlton, McCarthy.

I wouldn't want to learn my trade off any of them.

The experience bit doesn't worry my. Plenty of countries have taken on manager's with no experience, Holland are being tipped for the world cup by many.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Megatron

eirebhoy wrote:
    Holland are being tipped for the world cup by many.

Holland have been tipped for the world Cup Loads of times ... best they could ever do was reach the final ... and that was over 30 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭robz150

I'd give him a chance, if your not going to support your national team because you don't like the manager I really don't think your support is needed. Its done now and I would have liked someone with experience a big name but hey how do I know this isn't going to work. It's a risk that could go either way but I think you need to look at the positives Its something new for staunton and he could bring a lot of much needed enthusiasm to the Irish International scene, hopefully he introduces a few new players with a view to qualifying for the next world cup. Keegan was well qualified for the England Job didn't help him much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

eirebhoy wrote:
    What I'm worried about is the calibre of manager he worked under:

Dalglish, Souness, Stapleton, Atkinson, Little, Houllier, Gregory, Reid, Merson, Charlton, McCarthy.

I wouldn't want to learn my trade off any of them.

The experience bit doesn't worry my. Plenty of countries have taken on manager's with no experience, Holland are being tipped for the world cup by many.
    Practically every one of those have had their successes as well as failures. One of them is one of a very elite club to have won the title with two different clubs. The point will be if Stan can learn from not only the successes of those managers but also learn from their failures and the mistakes they made.

I'm sure if you listed the managers Alex Ferguson played under, it wouldnt be impressive.

But I am astonished the FAI have picked Staunton. If they were determined to have an Irishman in charge, then even though the likes of Stapleton, Aldridge, Whelan havent particularly impressive CVs, at least they have some experience of management which would surely have to put them ahead of Stan. Although there's no question that Brian Kerr is the best qualifed Irishman available! Personally I wouldnt have gone with an Irishman this time around, given the Irishmen available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Some people here are putting too much importance on the job imho. Whilst they look upon managing Ireland as the pinnacle of a career, a job only a madman wouldn't want and cannot understand why we didn't get a 'name' I believe that in reality (and in a managers mind in particular) managing a county like Ireland is about as prestigious and financially rewarding as mananaging a English division1 team. Whilst Stauntons appointment is certainly a gamble and is a bolt out of the blue it's hardly 'Alan Hansen new manager of Chelsea' territory either.

Anyway, whilst we're sailing into the unknown I've chosen to have faith in the appointment and am going to be backing Staunton/Robson (provided they don't play football that sends me to sleep after 10minutes like Kerr of course!) and hopefully as a bonus we might even push for a place in Wc2010 if things work out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭bullrunner

gimmick wrote:

If the guy was any good he would have been offered a managerial posting already elsewhere........

why do "people like me" make you laugh and cringe Gimmick?

Knee jerk reactions always make me laugh. If people looked at the facts, you would see that Staunton cannot be to blame for his appointment, what is he supposed to do, refuse it?

The problem goes far beyond Steve Staunton, Bobby Robson etc (as Ive mentioned in another thread, the VOTE one). The problems are so deeply entrenched within the FAI, that there will not, and cannot be any success/progress for Irish football, domestically or internationally, no matter who is appointed the manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭robz150

gimmick wrote:
    Knee jerk reactions always make me laugh. If people looked at the facts, you would see that Staunton cannot be to blame for his appointment, what is he supposed to do, refuse it?

The problem goes far beyond Steve Staunton, Bobby Robson etc (as Ive mentioned in another thread, the VOTE one). The problems are so deeply entrenched within the FAI, that there will not, and cannot be any success/progress for Irish football, domestically or internationally, no matter who is appointed the manager.

Spot on, I think Charlton got some success because he didn't really have any respect for the FAI and just did it his way right or wrong. I always got the feeling McCarthy and Kerr were chosen by the FAI because the FAI could control them, compared to Charlton they were yes men. Staunton could be the same but Bobby Robson is interesting despite his age has the stature to take control and make sure Staunton doesnt get what I view as the bullying Kerr got from the FAI.

gimmick wrote:
    Knee jerk reactions always make me laugh. If people looked at the facts, you would see that Staunton cannot be to blame for his appointment, what is he supposed to do, refuse it? .

Why not? O'leary has said he doesnt think he would be experienced enough for international management until he has around 10 years club experience first.
    gimmick wrote:

I dont think the manager of the International team has any bearing on the EL anymore...people thought that with Kerr as manager perhaps more from the EL would get a chance...apart from a token 1 or 2 squad selections that never materialised. The FAI dont give a sh1t about the EL..its more of a necessary evil to them than anything else.

Im not going to repeat what Im saying in another thread, but here

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=50671803&postcount=6

and

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=50673241&postcount=13

Please read those before replying, otherwise we will get nowhere.
    bullrunner wrote:
    I dont think the manager of the International team has any bearing on the EL anymore...people thought that with Kerr as manager perhaps more from the EL would get a chance...apart from a token 1 or 2 squad selections that never materialised. The FAI dont give a sh1t about the EL..its more of a necessary evil to them than anything else.

You see, that is the very same attitude which the FAI hold, and why football in this country will never be a success. They dont seem to realise that for a consistently good national team, they need to nurture the talent at home, rather than ship off every half decent football player to the UK in the hopes someone else will do it for them.
    Why not? O'leary has said he doesnt think he would be experienced enough for international management until he has around 10 years club experience first.

O Leary never cited experience (AFAIK), but said he just doesnt want to go down that road. He said he would rather finish his career in international ball rather than start it, which is fair enough.

Do we know whether Stan actually applied, or did the FAI go straight to him?

Do you not take on board that Irish football is rotten to the core and run by a shower of idiots who couldnt organise a piss up in a pub?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Personal I don’t think he is the right man for the job. It wont stop me giving 100% to the team do. I'll support Ireland no matter what.

I don’t think do that the F.A.I needs to have a look at its self and see if they did make the right choice. There were other managers out there touting them self’s in the media. How true where the stories I don’t know.

Maybe money was an issue because we aren’t going to the world cup. If this is the case it could lead to false economy. What happens if we don’t get to Euro 2008? Who will want to manage us then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

They dont seem to realise that for a consistently good national team, they need to nurture the talent at home,

Exactly, hence why I think Statnton is the wrong man for the job, but at the same time the right one.
    It all depends on how you see Ireland.
    Are we a team who could qualify to both our campaign if we try and had a decent manager?
    OR
    Are we a team that needs to do what Scotland and Wales are doing, or having a ****e manager who won't get the best out of the current team, but if given enough time, will spend so much time on the youth team that we will get a decent team in the future?

However, I don't think Staunton is good enough to do either, but I'm hoping he is good enough to do the latter, as I feel we have a very good crop coming through, McShane Ireland McGeady that Arsenal guy all spring to mind.
    If these guys come good for the next world cup, Duffers and Keane will be at their peak, and then we can give it a real shot.
    I hope :)

gimmick wrote:

Do you not take on board that Irish football is rotten to the core and run by a shower of idiots who couldnt organise a piss up in a pub?

Yes i do agree that the FAI is rotten ..and the appointment of staunton is another example of it...they have appointed somebody who they can pay cheaply and control what he does. If it works out for them then they can say we always believed in him blah blah...if it not then they can blame the draw we get (as we are in the 4th pool of seeds)...so its a win win situation for them....what they should be doing is appointing somebody with experience..who has the tactical know how to get the qualified (or at least improve our seeding ratings)...somebody like troussier or hiddink.

In your other posts you mention a number of EL players who you think could be international players...how many of them are good enough...at the moment i'd say none....if they were good enough, they would probably have been snapped up by a half decent english or scottish team (like kevin doyle)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭abccormac

Yes i do agree that the FAI is rotten ..and the appointment of staunton is another example of it...they have appointed somebody who they can pay cheaply and control what he does.

Do you think Bobby Robson is a cheap yes man aswell?

what they should be doing is appointing somebody with experience..who has the tactical know how to get the qualified (or at least improve our seeding ratings)...somebody like troussier or hiddink.

Like who? Martin O'Neill was being touted for a long while, but he made it clear he had no interest in returning to management. What makes you think the big name you desire would have any interest in managing a team that has failed to qualify for the last 2 international tournaments, and that has a very limited pool of quality players to choose from? And as to experience, they dont come much more experienced than Robson.

Personally, I don't think either Staunton or Robson on their own would be ideal for the job. Robson is too old, and Staunton is too inexperienced. However, I think the combination of Robsons vast experience and Stauntons familiarity with the players and the Irish set up in general could work quite well. Of course it could turn out to be a disaster aswell, but I'm willing to wait and see how things develop before I start a letter writing campaign.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

The only probelm with Robson is what role is he taking on exactly? Will he be picking the squad, in charge of tactics, media, training, what is he actually going to be doing?

Ill reserve my decision on this partnership until I know Robsons role for sure.

abccormac wrote:
    Do you think Bobby Robson is a cheap yes man aswell?

Like who? Martin O'Neill was being touted for a long while, but he made it clear he had no interest in returning to management. What makes you think the big name you desire would have any interest in managing a team that has failed to qualify for the last 2 international tournaments, and that has a very limited pool of quality players to choose from? And as to experience, they dont come much more experienced than Robson.

EH...Like Troussier or Hiddink as I mentioned in my post....Troussier said he wanted the job after Kerr got let go.

Anyhow..its not just a big name I would like to see in the post...somebody with a bit of managerial experience would be a big plus in my books. Thats all I have against Stan getting the job..he has absolutely no managerial experience...

As for Bobby Robson...I never said a word about him. But as you asked do I think hes a cheap yes man too...yes..he will be employed (more than likely) to work as an advisor to Stan...paid by the FAI..so he wont be on big bucks (FAI cant afford to pay big bucks) and will prob do little or nothing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

Look he's the manager

Maybe it's not the best thing that could of happened but that will remin to be seen,

Support Ireland - that's what is needed now not a crowd of whinging bitches.

Most of these morons moaning in the country won't go to a match until the final qualifiers of the european championship and take all the tickets the real fans are due.

Either support your colours (they are not going to change him now) or shut up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭Gegerty

bullrunner wrote:
    The fans are asking that people email FAI and declare our opposition to Staunton’s appointment. Email: info@fai.ie. Your country needs you!!

why should we put up with a second rate manager? What managerial experience has staunton got that Kerr hasnt?

Cop on! Why would a first rate manager want to manage Ireland? The soccer experts are saying he's got the potential so why not? Fans want Roy Keane as manager but the experts say he'd make a terrible manager. Leave it to the experts and let him have a go. Personally I think it doesn't matter what manager we have, we haven't got the players and thats what counts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

Gegerty wrote:
    Cop on! Why would a first rate manager want to manage Ireland? The soccer experts are saying he's got the potential so why not? Fans want Roy Keane as manager but the experts say he'd make a terrible manager. Leave it to the experts and let him have a go. Personally I think it doesn't matter what manager we have, we haven't got the players and thats what counts.

Amen brother ill see ya at the european championships

Advertisement