Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

I want FX like Anonymous?

• 10-01-2006 4:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40

I want FX like Anonymous
    does anyone have contacts to anyone
    who can do it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Care to elaborate?

What is Anonymous?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 man

Anonymous the televsion show on RTE 2 on Mondays at 10:30.
    i would like to make a short using the special FX they use to make people
    Anonymous

Ah okay... hadn't heard of it.

http://www.rte.ie/tv/anonymous/index.html

I'll be sure to have a look at it next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

I haven't seen the show but they probably list the FX company or artists in the credits at the end. Otherwise try e-mailing RTE.

I can guarantee though that they won't be cheap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Check out amazon for a few books that might give you and idea. They'd be a hell of a lot cheaper than the full latex stuff they have in Anonymous (which I honestly have to say look pretty p1ss poor!).

Here's two books that I found and am actually thinking of getting now:

Special Effects Make-up - For Film And Theatre

and

Making Faces: Playing God

Hope they help. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Freelancer

Snort...I hope RTE Effects have improved since the days where a car crash in glenroe whereby it looked like red dye was smeered across someone's lower lip.

In any case this looks like an idea rte plundered from ITV's ideas book not two weeks, but two or three years after they came up with it.

Man, Dun laoghaire college runs a special effects and make up course, it's run every two years. If you serious about this.

Thats if you're serious about this. If you're not, keep in mind latex molds, fake facial hair and shíte costs money. Thats before you get to, y'know, the makeup.

There's a point in every man's life where in he's desperate for a christmas/birthday present for his nearest and dearest and he scoops up some of her makeup and heads to BT to get something similiar, you chat to the umpa ulmpa (sorry makeup counter girl) and then she rings up the register; you gape, your knees tremble and you say;

"She spends how much on this crap?"

Keep it in mind. A professional good make up artist is going to run into thousands, not just cause they're good, but because of the material they use.

Freelancer wrote:
    Man, Dun laoghaire college runs a special effects and make up course, it's run every two years. If you serious about this.
    That's not a bad little course. When I went to college in Dun Laoghaire I used to spend a lot of time hanging around the make up classroom to see what cool stuff they were up to.... of course the fact that the students of the make up course were 99% female had nothing to do with it or anything... oh no...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Freelancer

That's not a bad little course. When I went to college in Dun Laoghaire I used to spend a lot of time hanging around the make up classroom to see what cool stuff they were up to.... of course the fact that the students of the make up course were 99% female had nothing to do with it or anything... oh no...

That and how fabulous you look wearing rougé

Freelancer wrote:
    That and how fabulous you look wearing rougé
    haha.. well actually this one time they did make me up as a woman for a project.

It was pretty cool.. I looked like Lucy Lawless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭father_ted9t9

The 2 Guys who worked on anonymous were brought in from the UK and worked on Lord of the rings as fx artists. I worked on the programme with them and they are genius! Not cheap though, i think it cost between 5-8 grand per person for the effect!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Cats4693

Hey im female 26 and i have a diploma n tv and Film production but i want to switch to do special effect makeup. I am having trouble finding somewhere, i googled it and for a lot of the courses you have to have some experience. But i am starting from scratch and am really interested in it. Could anyone stir me in the right direction please i would appriciate it alot. I also dont have mush monet which is another proble coz i came across one course dat ya needed no exprience but it was 3500 euro foe a few months. So id have to get a job and save up! But it doesnt seem very long for that money.

But dats some amount of money per person isnt it! So i guess that 3500 is not much for the course after all. Id go to the uk to do it but i jus came back from der becase i couldnt study and afford rent.so im back here in good old ireland. But im lost. I dont know wer to go !

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭trendkill

Whats your budget and have you any previous experience with Foam Latex e.t.c as in how long it takes to make a mould, do a negative.. make a positive.. do characteristics... make another negative and then make a positive..... thats the simplified version of getting one foam latex mask. Got lots of experience but, no one will do it unless the money is right. Its too much trouble to do, and materials are very very expensive.... Alginate (One place in Ireland thats sells it commercially and 20€ for half a KG bag( have contact that gets it for me at 5 euor per KG in Cork. For one head cast..(1 Negative) around 2 kilos is needed, the Dental Stone for cast, for the second negative, foam latex is required, thats alot more expensive...... Never mind the adhesive (pros Aide) and remover, check this out for an idea of cost...

www.nimbacreations.com

Can't see you getting any help unless the pay is worth it..... if no pay... just buy something off of ebay ready made.. (best bet) i.e

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&satitle=foam+latex+mask

Just checked the date on that thread.. bit late... but comment still stands.... if anyone in the Cork area wants to learn.... give us a shout....

Ive no experience wit sf makup or latex or anything. I hav a huge interest in leanring doh. Guess i better jus keep my eyees open for courses and stuf! I jus hate all the hanging round waiting and stuf wen i could b learning im so interested i hate wasting time sitting round ....would love to jus get stuck into all the learning. Guess il jus have to get a job and save up, and keep looking for a course.

Thanks for ur help everyone doh was nice of you guys :) If i get a course il let ye know :)

Advertisement