Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boosting a DVD signal around a house.

• 10-01-2006 4:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭

Hey Guys and Gals.

In my house we have all the TV's hooked up to a booster in the attic. The VCR player is down in the main room and is connected to this in some way, but anyways it means you can recieve the VCR channel around the house. Does anyone know how to do the same with a DVD player? Digital to Analog and all that..anyways, if you have any thoughs i would really appreciate it :D

[L]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Buy a DA (Distribution Amplifier) The professional ones are expensive, but I'm sure there's a consumer version. Basically 1 video and audio in - 3,4,5 out depending what you buy.

8141Cbig.jpg That's a component one, but you can get S-video and all sorts.

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I think you mean something like : http://www.svideo.com/svideocoax.html

..... I would imagine the VCR would have a scart input, so I guess she wants what I suggested.

John

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I would think the VCR is connected to other rooms via the coaxial lead. DVD less handy as it doesn't have an RF output. It is possible to get a Scart-RF modulator, though sometimes these aren't great.

What you could try is put the Scart lead from the DVD Player to the Scart socket on VCR, and put VCR on AV (or whatever the Scart channel is called, EXT, AV1, etc) and thus, DVD player MAY work on TV's upstairs if on the VCR channel.

I say it MAY work, as I'm not sure how things like Macrovision (sort of encryption to deter copying) will work through the VCR but worth a try.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Lump wrote:
    ..... I would imagine the VCR would have a scart input, so I guess she wants what I suggested.

John
    Well most DVD players have svideo now and if not it's very easy to go from svideo to scart.

• Advertisement

byte wrote:
    I would think the VCR is connected to other rooms via the coaxial lead. DVD less handy as it doesn't have an RF output. It is possible to get a Scart-RF modulator, though sometimes these aren't great.

What you could try is put the Scart lead from the DVD Player to the Scart socket on VCR, and put VCR on AV (or whatever the Scart channel is called, EXT, AV1, etc) and thus, DVD player MAY work on TV's upstairs if on the VCR channel.

I say it MAY work, as I'm not sure how things like Macrovision (sort of encryption to deter copying) will work through the VCR but worth a try.

That method would work. The macrovision doesn't kick in till you try to record. You might find the signal isn't the best going through the VHS and then on to the booster in the roof! It's all depending on how much money you are willing to spend and what quality you want. I do a lot of quality checking in work, and I can't stand dodgy pictures. It's irritating, for me TBH!

John

Advertisement