Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone invest in motorised/pull down projection screen?

• 10-01-2006 4:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭

Im currently projecting onto a white wall and am thinking of going down the motorised/pull down screen route.

Was wondering whether it is worth the money i.e. spending €500-1000 - does it really give you that much of an improvement?

I am happy the way I am, but I going to cieling mount my projector soon (its always soon - but definitely in the next month or so) and was thinking of using a screen as I want to accomodate my plasma in the same area (hence the screen coming over it when watching movies)

Also - keep thinking Im going to lose size - and was wondering what sort out money people paid for e.g. 7ft screens?

Anyone?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I was going to buy one from http://www.sightandsound.ie/homecin1.html#Home_Cinema_Screens

But decided to try it on a white wall first, that was 2 years ago. We only use the projector for watching soccer matches and movies (bulbs are too expensive to be watching soaps on it). I have seen people use screens and yes the image is a bit brighter but it really depends on what projector you have?

I also hate the idea of having to see a screen in the room, unless you go for a motorised one that is fitted into your ceiling and well they cost a lot of lolly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 467 ✭✭Clank

I got a 1.8m pull-down screen in Peats for €209.(Honestly I didnt expect Peats to be that cheap.)
    Its not an amazing screen sure, but it does the job at the moment.
    I wouldnt go for a motorized one personally, too much effort for too little reward.

...and if your asking would a screen make a difference as opposed to a white wall, damn right it will, if your gonna do it, do it right with a screen an all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Maxwell

Thanks for the replies

Irish1, Im in the same boat as you - I have been using the projector on a white wall for a few years now and as Im in the middle of getting my new room together I was thinking of getting the screen especially to come over the TV when watching Movies/Football.

Thanks Clank,

I was aware that the quality and brightness from the screen would be far superiour to the white wall - but is it 500-1000 euros superiour? Also I would lose the size of the image Im projecting aswell. I have a wall 13 foot wide and about 13 foot high and the image Im getting on it at the moment is HUGE!. If I go for e.g. a 1.8metre screen, I will lose that size - but gain better quality?

.........and it would mean moving the plasma in some way everytime Im watching a film/football

Decisions, Decisions

Anyone out there that have accomodated both a tv and screen successfully?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 467 ✭✭Clank

Well Peats had a 2 meter screen for €269, go into the basement of Peats, its a demo room, theyve a pretty huge screen there, not sure what it is but its not far off what you want, again theyre not top quality screens, but they are good for the money.
    Honestly when you get a screen you could never go back, when you start viewing HD on it it especially and DVDs, if all your using it for is sky sports, dont bother.

About the screen and plasma, personally I have a 28" CRT then the screen above, when you lean back in the couch the screen falls directly in eye line, perfect.
    Since youve a plasma though, why not pull down the screen over the plasma?Ive seen it done before and it works quite well.

Advertisement